relax

Author Topic: Car Rental Insurance?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline ImNotCrazy

• Resident
Car Rental Insurance?
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
 I have a question about the auto insurance you should have when you rent a car. I’ve never rented a car before, but I’m going to be in California this weekend and will need to. I don’t own a car now so I don’t have any kind of car insurance. My credit card company (VISA) offers a collision damage waiver if I decline the rental company’s damage waiver policy. The rental company offers other types of coverage – supplemental liability protection and personal accident insurance. I don’t know if I have to decline ALL the insurance offered, or just a damage waiver.
Am I better off just getting the whole shebang from the company? I’ve searched the internet and some things I’ve read say the rental company’s insurance is a scam and some say it is the best thing you can do. I just don’t want to end up with added headaches should something bad happen.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline C-J

• Senator
Re: Car Rental Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
Did you happen to book your car through Hotwire?  If so, I would look at their policy which covers up to (I believe) $40,000 per person (and is significantly cheaper than what they will try to sell you at the counter).  I have done what you are proposing with the Visa when renting in Arizona and had no issues - just have that provider send you a letter (takes them about 10 seconds) stating that your Visa covers it.  Then if asked simply show them that letter.  We also don't have a car and I've never had any issues waiving coverage.

The job of the people at the car rental counter is to sell you more coverage than you need because it adds to their bottom line. 

Hope this helps and safe travels!

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:39:40 PM »
I usually skip the damage waiver as I'm covered by my credit card, but I always get the third party liability coverage because I know that one time I don't get it, I'm going to get in some accident that may be my fault (I'm a great driver, but sh#t happens) and I'm going tobe responsibility for tons of damage.

Offline ImNotCrazy

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
I didn't book the car through Hotwire. I guess I'll rely on the credit card's damage waiver and get the supplemental coverage just in case.

Thanks C-J and Mer!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life