relax

Author Topic: any women here looking to make new female friend in the nabe?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member

I am a totally normal ;-) single gal who's lived in Astoria for a year now.  And while I have plenty of friends, I don't have any friends in Astoria.  My ONE good female friend here moved back to the West coast so I'm very sad.  And I do have two other friends here in Astoria but would you believe I've only seen one of them once in the past year, and the other not at all.  Their lifestyles are such that they just aren't available to meet up (one is a public schoolteacher who then spends her weekends Upstate, the other is a new mom).

I'm 50 but have friends in their 30s, 40s all the way up to their 70s.  What matters most to me is the person's spirit.  I tend to like people who are a bit quirky, who like to have meaningful conversation, who like nature or foreign travel/film/language, modern art, trying out new restaurants (no fast/junk food please!), or just hanging out at one or the other's home for dinner or whatever.

I'm somewhat quirky myself and most people would probably describe me as adventurous, a very loyal friend, and never boring.  I'm always trying something new....nothing like deep-sea diving or bungee jumping or anything like that, but like I am a member of Mealku, I do couchsurfing, Airbnb, travel abroad a lot (often alone), speak a few languages, throw a few parties each year, and am always hearing about cool things to do in the city.  I love exploring different nabes in all the boroughs....making a day of it buying ethnic food ingredients, eating at a local restaurant, and then coming back home.

Anyway, I know some women think it's a 'weird' way to meet another female friend online..but ...I don't know how else I'm going to meet a female in Astoria who's willing and available to meet up once in a while.

Btw, I don't care if you are married or single, childless or child-with, so long as you have the inclination and availability to hang out once or twice a month in the nabe.

We could start by meeting for coffee or just exchanging FB profiles!  ;-)

Let me know!

Tx!

Offline Mer

• Mayor
Re: any women here looking to make new female friend in the nabe?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
I don't think meeting new friends online is weird at all.  In fact, my closest friends (my longest continuous friend relationships - over a decade) all started online.  I have a handful of friends in Astoria, but not as many as I would like, and like you, some of my closest friends have moved away or other life events have severely cut down their social time.  Anyway, a good girlfriend  (a board member) and I are always looking for others to join our brunch outings or after work drinks/dinner.  You should join us some time.  :-)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »
Hey thanks Mer!  Well if you think of it next time you are planning another outing, you can send me a PM here with the details?

Tx!

Lynn

Offline Fern

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »
Hi. My name is Fern and I just discovered this site and went straight to this topic. I am single with an adult daughter who has moved out. I have a dog but he doesn;t enjoy movie, theater, dining out!! the friends I do have are more like acquaintances and we do a monthy dinner. However, other times their lifestyles just don;t allow or they do not want to try new things or whatever. So if you are still interested in meeting female friends  am up for it. A little about myself. I am 59(ouch!) and have been living in astoria for over 25 years orginally brought up on LI. I enjoy simple things; movies, dining out, happy hour, galleries, cooking on occasion, shopping and would love to travel more but with the economy the way it is things are tight altough I am trying to save for a nice vacation for my 60th bday. I am pretty straight forward, hate/love all all ethnic groups and religions. I judge a person on themselves not on where they are from. I too have friends of all ages but I do prefer someone close to me so they can relate. I hate cell phones and all this new technology. Anyway, if you would like we could meet for a coffees, drink or whatever. let me know  :grin: I also HATE,HATE cold weather!!

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »

Tx.  Fern. I just sent you a PM....

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life