relax

Author Topic: ASTORIA GUITARISTS: Do you need/want a luthier/repair guy in the neighborhood?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline astoriacoffee

• Resident
    • Astoria Coffee
Hi Astoria Guitarists,

I'm Dennis. I'm formerly a guitar maker and am working to open a coffee shop in the neighborhood. I have a luthier friend who is curious about Astoria for opening a guitar building / repair business. I imagine you guys have to take your stuff to Manhattan for good work?

Offline astoriabot

• Citizen
I believe there's a few in Astoria. I know there's a low-key one between Ditmars and 23rd ave on Crescent (Alpha). There's also one on 30th ave and 35th street called "Astoria Music". There's one on 35th ave and 31st Street (forgot the name). Then there's one 41st ave and 21st Street (Sadowsky). Last but not least, Guitar center on northern blvd - but I wouldn't call them luthiers.

Offline astoriacoffee

• Resident
    • Astoria Coffee
Hi Astoriabot,

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have asked, are Astoria guitarists happy with the options they have nearby in terms of getting work done?

I for one would love to see an acoustic guitar builder busy at work in an Astoria storefront!

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
I would definitely be interested in learning about the services that would be offered. Acoustic only, or does he work on electric and resonator guitars also? Setups?

Offline astoriabot

• Citizen
I suppose I should have asked, are Astoria guitarists happy with the options they have nearby in terms of getting work done?
I for one would love to see an acoustic guitar builder busy at work in an Astoria storefront!
I honestly couldn't tell you. I usually do all repairs myself. But from what I heard, people are generally happy with the current options. I do want to get one of my necks partially scalloped down the line and that's something I wouldn't want to do myself. I would rather give it to a craftsman. Would I go to one of the guys I mentioned above? Probably. Would I love to see a luthier working in the front with big windows? Obviously. Would it be successful in Astoria? I really couldn't tell you that. I would think if you catered to guitarists, violinists, cellists and other instruments, than I would probably say yes.

By the way, what kind of coffee do you have exactly? I heard some good things about it.

Offline astoriacoffee

• Resident
    • Astoria Coffee
Hi Astoria Bot,

Thanks for the input. The guitar maker in a window thing is like you suggested, mostly a nice thought. Although we have had some interesting discussions about doing something together here.

About the coffee, we have whole-bean micro-roasted coffee from Ohio. It's the same coffee we'll be using at our shop. I'm glad to hear you've gotten positive reviews. Let me know if you'd like to hear more. Thanks for the interest!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life