relax

Author Topic: Moving across country .... advice please  (Read 1729 times)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
Moving across country .... advice please
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »
So I might be moving across the country here in a few weeks. I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish the move ahead of time. I figure Astoria is full of free-wheeling types who have done this before so I am asking for your help on sorting this out.

I am in a 2BR apartment. The couch and major bookcases are my roommate's and will stay if I go. My bedroom furniture is all pretty cheap stuff and I expect to give it away or leave it behind for the next tenant if so desired. Same for my kitchenware - there are only a few items I would take with me.

So mostly I will be moving 2 guitars, a keyboard, some books and art supplies, a couple of pots and pans, and clothes.

I definitely don't want to deal with a Uhaul. What I want is to pack up everything and then for someone to come to my apartment, take all the boxes, and make them appear at my new home 1400 miles away for a reasonable cost.

Does someone do this? What search terms do I need to find them?

Have you moved across the country? How did you manage it? What do you wish you had known ahead of time?

Offline thanos27

• Senator
Re: Moving across country .... advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »
Where are u moving to ?  I know a handfull that have done it and all have used Uhaul type trucks they could return in the new place and it was very affordable .

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
Is it possible the items could be sipped UPS ground?  I know the instruments would have to be packed well to avoid damage but it is just a thought.

Also I used to have a friend who transported cars around the country.  For example he might drive a snowbirds car  to Florida so they could use it when they were there in the winter.  Maybe you could have someone drive you and put your things in the trunk.  This would save you your travel costs.

Although I didn't know you personally you have been a long time Astorian and you will be missed on the Board.  It seems like a lot of Astorians have moved on from Astoria and this Board.  Good Luck!

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
I think shipping things via UPS might be the way to go in the end.

I will certainly miss Astoria - it's a lovely neighborhood and I have so many friends here :)

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
Do you know people where you will be moving to.  Will you have a job lined up or a place to stay?

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »
I'm just curious, why do you want to move across the country?

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
There's a place on 31st Street and 35th Avenue that makes guitars - they might be able to advise you on shipping the ones you have.

If you know your destination, call the post office and see about having packages held till you can pick them up.  I think they give you longer than the private shipping companies.

If you have an employer lined up but are unsure of where you'll live, maybe you could have your packages, if there isn't much, sent to your place of employment.  I would advise using all-new shipping boxes with simple neat labels for the best impression. 

And, although I've never met you, I'll also miss seeing you on the boards and hope you'll post a message about your new life wherever you're moving to.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
Hi Braun - mostly to be closer to family. I have a lot of friends and connections there - all depends on whether I can find a job.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »
Hi Braun - mostly to be closer to family. I have a lot of friends and connections there - all depends on whether I can find a job.

I could understand that about wanting to be closer to family.  Good luck on finding a job there

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life