relax

Author Topic: Astoria Gifted Program Being Closed  (Read 13880 times)

Offline prometheus

• Tourist
Astoria Gifted Program Being Closed
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
Dear Friends,

P.S. 122, which is located on Ditmars Blvd, has had an extremely successful gifted program for decades. Now it seems that their program is being shut down for no apparent good reason.  In fact the school's constituents weren't even told that this was being considered. 

Kids and families will be hurt by this action.  Students will be torn away from the school they've attended for years and the middle school population is scheduled to balloon.  None of the proposed changes will benefit the school, the community, and especially the kids.

Please come to February 21st Community Council Meeting at P.S. 234 to voice your concern.  P.S. 234 is located at 30-15 29th St, Astoria, 11102.  Also, contact your local representatives and ask them to support one of the most successful schools in the state.

Councilman Peter Vallone : 718.274.0007

District Leader Costas Constantinides:  costa4astoria@gmail.com

Assemblywoman Aravella Simotas:  718.545.3889

State Senator Michael Gianaris: 718.728.0960

Offline cosmic

• Citizen
Re: Astoria Gifted Program Being Closed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »
ALthough I agree that the DOE has been proposing random and frustrating changes in the district when they should be considering meeting the needs of the population without taking options away, it is my understanding that current G&T kids in 122 would finish the program out.

I think that the more important issue is to improve all the schools in the area and offer great middle school options not just focus on the G&T programs where spots are limited and if a 4yo does not test in, then their "fate is sealed" for years to come due to the lack of overall seats.  The entire process is flawed.

Offline lexi

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
The middle school at 122 is one of the best in the state.  It has been a great success.  We do need more options and more spots for students who are gifted.  Every child deserves to be in the appropriate class that will best meet their needs.
Why would we eliminate a program from 122 that works and has been so successful?  It is a model that should be emulated not phased out!  Open up more programs in this likeness, but do not destroy something that works and means so much to the community and to the students both past and present. 

Offline prometheus

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
Dear Cosmic.

I do agree with two of your main points.  It is pretty self-evident that middle schools, as all schools, should provide amazing learning opportunities for ALL kids.  They should be enriching environments regardless of who the target population is.  Also, the emphasis on the G&T testing has gotten out of hand lately.  It has become an industry. However, it is also a fact that gifted children, like kids with learning and emotional disabilities, have special needs.  The curious reader may want to peruse the National Association for Gifted Children website (www.NAGC.org)

Removing the gifted program from 122 does not make sense, no matter how you slice it. The vast majority of its students end up in specialized high-schools and those that do not get into the "major" special high schools do get admitted into other screened programs.  Furthermore, the statistics regarding these kids trajectory in the world of higher education is very impressive to say the least.  Speak to these young adults and all of them will testify to the special experience they had at 122.

This recent action has many objectionable components.  To keep it simple though, how does eliminating a VERY successful program help children?  If your point that excellent middle schools should be replicated everywhere is true, and I agree that it is, shouldn't 122 be the model? 

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
We need better overall schools in Astoria , esp the middle and highschools . People pay a ton to own a home here and the schools are piss poor unless your child places well for a tested school .Thats why so many have left for Westchester and LI

Offline ml11106

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »
We need better overall schools in Astoria , esp the middle and highschools . People pay a ton to own a home here and the schools are piss poor unless your child places well for a tested school .Thats why so many have left for Westchester and LI

They are becoming overcrowded as well and staff has been cut to much.  It's probably going to get worse will all the new development.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:31 PM »
The worst part is they bus ghetto kids in from the projects or woodside and jackso heights who pay less to live there and less in taxes yet go to Astoria schools cuz of whatever special needs . This makes the schools worse off and very hard for the kids who want to learn .    The high schools here are a total joke . Bryant and LIC are horrible .

Offline BoredTemp

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:15:55 AM »
Hello all,

I have been a very active part of a group of parents from PS 122, PS 166 and PS 160 advocating for the *expansion* of the highly successful G&T program at PS 122.  The fact is, our district, District 30, is blessed with many children who would benefit from an accelerated or "gifted" education.    Unfortunately, the DOE does not seem to want to provide this.

Parents from the above schools have attended CEC & PEP meetings for several months.  We have written letters to our elected officials.  We have participated in meetings with DOE representatives.  At every single meeting, we expressed our desire to EXPAND the wonderful program known as "The Academy."

Instead, the DOE has chosen to destroy it.

We ask the community's support in getting this program reinstated and expanded.  To eliminate it is to deprive many of our children of an appropriate education.

Everyone in a community benefits when children are placed in the learning environment that is best suited to their needs and talents. 

Please join in writing to Chancellor Walcott and all the DOE representatives to let them know that our community does not support destroying this wonderful program.

Offline cosmic

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
     I agree that discontinuing the program at 122 does not make sense, but my issue is this focus on gifted-only programs and I have a child in one of these programs.  The reality is that most of these kids may be academically advanced (less are probably truly “gifted”) and should be able to attend their local school and receive an adequate education to fit their needs.  Why does a child have to leave their community to get this education?  This is the case for some of these children.
My bigger concern is with the community in general and moving the schools forward.  The fact of the matter is that entrance into the gifted programs is flawed – there are limited seats and testing 4yo’s is questionable in my book.  I just don’t think expanding 122 is the way to really “fix” the situation.  I get that parents are concerned with their children, as am I, but as an investment in the community we may need to look beyond only our specific needs.  We are losing good families to other communities because of these types of issues.  It’s pretty frustrating.

Offline ml11106

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
I will need to explore this in a few years....what are the best options available to parents for middle scol and High school in the astoria area.???

I am guessing that outside of gifted program....middle school options are limited to private school like most precious blood. High school probably Bronx science???

Offline prometheus

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:05:25 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate the many insightful comments re: this issue.  There is no doubt that all schools should be safe havens and vibrant learning environments.  This should be the reality for ALL children.  Perhaps we can make this happen by working together.

For the time being, and I mean the "now", please help us save the preeminent school in our neighborhood.  Consider signing the online petition to let our reps know how you feel. 

www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-the-academy-at-ps-122/

Thank you so much!

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
Please come to February 21st Community Council Meeting at P.S. 234 to voice your concern.  P.S. 234 is located at 30-15 29th St, Astoria, 11102.  Also, contact your local representatives and ask them to support one of the most successful schools in the state.

At what time is this meeting?

Offline StefWeis

• Tourist
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

I attended this program in the mid '90s and loved it!  All the teachers and students were wonderful.  I'm so sad to hear that it's in danger of closing.  The program prepared me extremely well - I went on to become valedictorian of Stuyvesant High School and graduated first in my class at Columbia University.

I wrote a blog post about ways people can help on my website: http://valedictoriansguide.com/2013/02/19/p-s-122-gifted-program-in-danger-of-closing/ 

Offline bothhands5

• Resident Visa
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
Couple of things:

1.  This change does not only affect G&T students.  At PS 122, there exists room for 4 middle school classes.  There are currently 7 classes per elementary grade.  This means that access to the ELEMENTARY school, G&T or not, will likely be reduced or become more competitive, to make room for enough Gen-Ed middle school seats.

2.  My son is in G&T at PS 150.  His curriculum *began* one year ahead of his grade level.  This is true of all G&T programs in District 30.  Children who do not receive a G&T middle school seat due to the impending shortage will be essentially forced to repeat that grade.

3.  Currently, all students in Gen-Ed are able to test into G&T at the middle school level.  Third and Fourth Grade test scores are used.  TWO of the four classes at PS 122's Academy are kids who tested in from Gen-Ed (plus 1 from 122 and 1 from 150).  So there's no "fate" you're forced into because of one test you take at 4.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life