relax

Poll

TODAY, which is the more popular franchise?????

star wars
5 (38.5%)
star trek
8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: star wars vs. star trek  (Read 4043 times)

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
star wars vs. star trek
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »
this could turn out to be an age-related question, but i can't decide, so i thought to take a poll. as a 41-year old woman who is a fan of both, i can see the pros and cons for both franchises being the more relevant.  :undecided:

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
star wars vs. star trek
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:04:54 AM »
Franchise vs franchise?

Original trilogy vs original series?

With the many Star Trek TV series' and the Star Wars prequels, it's not such a black and white question.

Offline LaoWombat

• Activist
Re: star wars vs. star trek
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:22:21 AM »
Also, the poll question is ambiguous.  Is the op asking:
  • Which one is more popular in the general public (measured with some defined metric)
  • Which one do we "think" is more popular or.
  • Which one do we personally prefer
Zen signature below

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
Taking each as a whole (which is kind of unfair since ST has a whole lot more to its canon), I'd definitely say Star Trek .  I will always be fond of Ep. IV - VI of Star Wars (forget that prequel crap) because lots of great childhood memories are attached to it and it was my gateway drug to all things sci-fi and fantasy, BUT it lacks the depth of ST (esp. TNG and DS9 ST).   That said, I'm super excited to see what JJ Abrams and crew does with the SW franchise.

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
i'm thinking franchise vs. franchise.  i'm not asking about box office success or tv ratings, but what you might think is culturally more "popular" in today's society.

if you look at the entirety of them all, star wars with all six films (even the cartoons) form one long timeline.  and although the star wars prequels may not have been as creatively good as the original three films, they're still part of the overall star wars story "history" and can't be dismissed as "crap" (at least not in the context of this question). ditto for the various star trek movies and series.

with jj abrams having revamped star trek with the last couple of films and who is now slated to do star wars 7 (and rumored to have given up star trek for star wars), i was just curious which might have been the better move on a cultural level. 

i also heard recently that a lot of kids today don't know who harrison ford is, so it got me thinking, would they know who william shatner is or leonard nemoy or mark hammill or carrie fischer?  would they be more familiar with patrick stewart or wil wheaton since star trek has had something produced in the media more recently than anything star wars has done as of late.

i'm a big fan of both franchises but i was already of an age to appreciate the significance of the lines like, "luke, i am your father" or "resistance is futile" or even "beam me up, scotty" (i grew up on original star trek reruns).

wow, i didn't think this was such a difficult question. it was just supposed to be a fun little poll/debate about two similar -- but different -- sci-fi cultures. kinda like the question, "who would win in a fight...batman or spiderman?"  there is no definitive answer, just a a feeling of which is more relevant in 2013...overall.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
Spiderman would win for sure

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
win win

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
i can see the star wars being more popular becuase of the kid audience , cartoons and the make of new series............i dont see that with Star trek
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
star wars vs. star trek
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »
Saw this today and thought of this thread...

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
Just saw this thread.

Fortunately for all we seem to have our answer: Mr Abrams will crap on both equally and they'll thus turn into the same piles of poo, albeit with slightly different hues and scents.

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Surely an oversight, but you folks forgot to include Star Brite in the voting options.

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Offline baxterdavid

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 06:19:26 AM »
Personally Star Wars ships are much better than Star Trek ones. I mean, X wings; TIE fighters; Star Destroyers; Death Stars? In terms of design, power and canon, the spacecraft in Star Trek really don't match up compared to them.

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »
This...

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life