relax

Author Topic: real estate broker or no?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline rnrollgirl

• Mayor
    • MySpace
real estate broker or no?
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
as it isn't astoria specific, i don't know if this should go in this section or in real estate....

i need to move in a specific time frame and am thinking i want to buy a condo or coop somewhere in queens.  outside of looking at listings online, i don't really know where to begin. i have money for a 20% down payment and a budget in mind.

is it worth investing in a broker? how much do they usually charge for their services?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
Re: real estate broker or no?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:42:31 AM »
Well first you should narrow down the places that you would want to buy in . Astoria is a great place to buy but prices rnt cheap . When you say you have the 20% , remember condos and coops vary in price  as they both do in different areas . You maybe be able to find a coop in one area for a specific price , but lets say you look in LIC , it can be much more expensive . So pick the areas you would like and start from there .  I would try it on my own , go to open houses and see whats out there . Compare prices and maintainance as well . See what you can get and also get pre approved from banks .  Open houses every weekend just about , you dont need a broker for that .

Offline ATB24

• Council Member
Re: real estate broker or no?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
You can check out sites like trulia, zillow, streeteasy and craigslist for listings. Going to open houses is not a bad idea, and brokers get paid by the Sellers of the property (opposite of when you are renting), so that will not cost you anything. Just be careful because most brokers just care about getting something sold and making their commission, so they will say anything to get something sold.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life