relax

Author Topic: Queensboro plaza awful cell signal  (Read 5882 times)

Offline ibeacco

• Resident
Queensboro plaza awful cell signal
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
Is it only me or any of you noticed that as soon as you turn into Q plaza with the NQ trains the cell and data signal goes down?
shouldn't be the best served spot in Astoria?
Jussain'...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
Re: Queensboro plaza awful cell signal
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
It's been like that since I've had a cell phone ... so 15 years or so.

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
I have a Verizon non-smartphone and don't generally have a problem getting a signal over there.

Offline astoriacrescent

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
It's been like that since I've had a cell phone ... so 15 years or so.

I have had the same experience for the past years. I think it was because historically Qb plaza was a waste land. Aside from the subway station and the state unemployment office that since closed, it was only frequented by prostitutes and drug dealers along with thier customers, not to mention  people assoicated with the topless joints.

As the plaza has been cleaned up over the years, the cell coverage has improved ever so slightly.

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
I have had the same experience for the past years. I think it was because historically Qb plaza was a waste land. Aside from the subway station and the state unemployment office that since closed, it was only frequented by prostitutes and drug dealers along with thier customers, not to mention  people assoicated with the topless joints.

As the plaza has been cleaned up over the years, the cell coverage has improved ever so slightly.

I don't get how this affects the cell signal but at least it isn't a post blaming the Strand.   :shocked:

Offline AlLeractra

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »
There's long standing dead zone between QBP and 39th Ave. My T-Mobile & Sprint phones always had a problem here. Is strange because there are a number of cell towers visible on the buildings in this area.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
I've experienced connectivity issues pulling around the corner into Queensboro Plaza.  Hopefully one of the local business associations does a free wifi program eventually - like the one they just did in Chelsea.

Offline ibeacco

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »
There's long standing dead zone between QBP and 39th Ave. My T-Mobile & Sprint phones always had a problem here. Is strange because there are a number of cell towers visible on the buildings in this area.

that's exactly what I mean, I can see all these cell towers, yet signal is abysmal. And I know Queensboro Plaza was a wasteland some time ago, and in some way is still is problems ridden, but it's also a place of new endeavor and development and it's always being a crucible for transportation, public and private. I can't understand why the major TC companies didn't aggressively improved coverage and even offered hotspot for thousands and thousands of potential and actual customers passing by every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:12:29 PM »
I have a Verizon non-smartphone and don't generally have a problem getting a signal over there.

Interesting - I've been with Verizon since before they were Verizon (i.e. Bell Atlantic, starting in 1997 or 1998), and I only got a personal smartphone this past October. But I have also had a work-issued Blackberry since 2006 through first Cingular and now AT&T. Now that you mention it, I realise that my signal issues have mostly related to data, so I probably conflated the two. I think I've never had a significant problem calling or texting anyone on my Verizon phone, now or in the past (regardless of whether it was a smartphone or not). I'd say with regard to data, the AT&T unit gets worse reception than the Verizon unit, although they are made by different companies so have different receptor capacities.

Offline PKacheco

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
I had AT&T and would always get my calls dropped in this area.  I switched to Verizon 2 years ago and its better, although the signal does get weaker and internet is VERY slow on my phone in that area.

Offline Dain Bramage

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
#firstworldproblems

http://youtu.be/KpUNA2nutbk

Offline Isthmus

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
I have Verizon and Thought I was the only one having this problem.  Typically as I approach QBP, I can see my LTE bars drop.  By the time I leave 36th Ave station, I usually have 2 bars, which drops down to one by the time I reach 39th.  After 39th it is a mobile signal dead zone, until I come back above ground in the city.  If I'm lucky, on occasion I will get 3G signal in QBP, but even then it tends to be weak.

Offline MarcelaPr

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 07:38:47 AM »
Must be something new.  I have Verizon and had to buy a signal extender that actually uses the internet connection.  It works well but is very pricy.

Offline ibeacco

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »
Well, what about all these cable companies that promise you hotspots wherever you go if you log into your account? I don't see those working either. It's like this "dead zone" is a geographic no man zone for anybody who could provide service. I think there must be a reason, like some kind of shady deal made years ago to keep these providers away.

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
It's because we live in the United States.  If you want better cell service, go anywhere but here. 

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
Cell service is much better in the Second and Third World.  That's a fact.

#firstworldproblems

http://youtu.be/KpUNA2nutbk

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life