relax

Author Topic: motorcycles out of control  (Read 5433 times)

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
Re: motorcycles out of control
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:29:33 AM »
I guess they're trying to differentiate themselves from the competition: 4 guys in a car w/ lots of neon and interior LCDs pumping euro-techno., cruising for dates to one of the many 'exclusive' velvet rope nightclubs in Astoria.  ...

pathetic.

This is the start of a beautiful friendship (lol),
unfortunately guys with gelled up hair and wannabe uber clothing in small cars (preferably mitsubishi or nissan sedans from the early 90's) with flashing neon pulsing out techno at the same beat that the car bounces is a phenomenon not unique to just astoria.

it is even well documented in Black Cat White Cat (with the wannabe gangster whose sister was supposed to marry our protagonist hero).

Anyways, In Israel, we call this genus species the ARS (borrowed from the arabic slang phrase Arsawat). 

as for the motorcycle phenomenon, they are loud and noisy and a nuissance even in daylight
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline okkichan

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 07:33:55 AM »
The sport bike set drive me nuts.. They go up and down astoria park seriously going in cirlcles for about an hour at a time driving like a-holes. Just waiting for a time when one of these losers falls off or someone gets hurt. Personally, I think they should close off that strip by the park.

cheers! the road lining the shore is pointless. that road would serve much better purpose if it was strictly for kids on bikes and such.

and i watch those crotchrockets go up and down, up and down. i sit on my fire escape and see the same guys over and over again.

maybe we should organize a "get the bored bikers some girlfriends" convention. that should stop this nonsense. all they're really doing is trying to strut their stuff for non-existant ladies who did this charade.

Handyman

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 09:38:23 PM »
I'm guessing that a happy medium between closing shore drive and stringing piano wire accross it would be to install more of those speed bumps.   (and make them go from curb to curb so the bikes can't just go around them. 

OOOh, forget the piano wire....   sound-triggered land mines!!    *evil, diabolical laugh* :evil:

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
I'm guessing that a happy medium between closing shore drive and stringing piano wire accross it would be to install more of those speed bumps.   (and make them go from curb to curb so the bikes can't just go around them. 

OOOh, forget the piano wire....   sound-triggered land mines!!    *evil, diabolical laugh* :evil:

I like your thinking.  Or, maybe we could use pellet guns do some target practice and try to take out their tires.  Or, throw spears and try to get them in the spokes of their wheels, so they go over their handlebars at 70 mph.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Handyman

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 09:51:39 PM »
I like your thinking.  Or, maybe we could use pellet guns do some target practice and try to take out their tires.  Or, throw spears and try to get them in the spokes of their wheels, so they go over their handlebars at 70 mph.

OK... there are two flaws with your ideas... but it's good that you're trying.

One:  There's no way a pellet gun would take out a motorcycle tire.  I doubt it would do much to a bicycle tire.

Two:  I'm willing to bet they go a lot faster than 70mph.

What if we painted a road leading up to, and a tunnel on the Hellgate supports.  Works for Bugs Bunny.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 09:55:47 PM »
OK... there are two flaws with your ideas... but it's good that you're trying.

One:  There's no way a pellet gun would take out a motorcycle tire.  I doubt it would do much to a bicycle tire.

Two:  I'm willing to bet they go a lot faster than 70mph.

What if we painted a road leading up to, and a tunnel on the Hellgate supports.  Works for Bugs Bunny.

Or put in speed bumps, and camoflage them so the bikers don't see them when they speed over them.  Or laser sensor ramps that elevate when they see the bikers coming.
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Handyman

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 10:29:46 PM »
Three words JTrane...

Severe    Tire     Damage

only we have them FACING traffic and allow "Motorcycles Only / No Speed Limit"

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 10:50:23 PM »
Three words JTrane...

Severe    Tire     Damage

only we have them FACING traffic and allow "Motorcycles Only / No Speed Limit"

I like it.  So who do we talk to to impliment this? 8-)
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Handyman

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 10:56:04 PM »
I like it.  So who do we talk to to impliment this? 8-)

Hmmmm, maybe we could ask Pete Jr.     Once he's thru telling everyone "I told you so" about ConEd downplaying the crisis.

Sorry about that.   He just didn't come off as concerned as the other two guys, just more "look at me.. I was right".   I don't even know the other two guys names...  how pathetic is that.

Back on topic.... do you think we could make quicksand look like concrete?

futility

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 09:59:13 PM »
This is the start of a beautiful friendship

nichts dagegen.

Anyways, In Israel, we call this genus species the ARS (borrowed from the arabic slang phrase Arsawat). 

please explain, I like etymology.  Oh, wait.  Maybe it's Hebrew?  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ars

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 03:27:54 PM »
OK, while some of these complaints are valid, some are just plain psychotic...

Why are some people so anti-motorcycle?  I also think it's lame that they ride around Astoria park all night and rev their engines at 6 am (if that's even true).  However, there is nothing wrong with owning and riding a motorcycle.  And engine revving IS in fact a good way to alert other drivers to your presence, as they are more likely to ignore a honk among hundreds of honks.  As a motorcycle owner myself (not a crotch rocket, but a standard bike), I can assure you that the pathetic horns they put on motorcycles are not likely to get anyone's attention, whereas revving will make that left-turn-happy driver think twice.  All too often drivers turn left in front of motorcycles or pull out in front of them because of simply not seeing/hearing them, or not accurately judging their rate of approach.  Revving takes care of these two issues.

I also don't advocate the muffler mods, but if it makes riding any safer, I can't say I'm against it either.  But you're right when you say that most people just do it for getting girls' attention rather than drivers' attention.

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 04:17:05 PM »
I also think it's lame that they ride around Astoria park all night and rev their engines at 6 am (if that's even true).

We wouldn't complain about it if it wasn't true.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline okkichan

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 04:34:22 PM »
certainly not. i live by the park, and i don't have a/c. so my windows are open all the time these days... i hear them.

Handyman

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 09:45:21 PM »
Even if revvVVVing their engines was 110% legit for making other drivers aware of them, what's their excuse for wheelies and burn-outs??

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 10:28:48 PM »
Even if revvVVVing their engines was 110% legit for making other drivers aware of them, what's their excuse for wheelies and burn-outs??

Fun?  :-D

But I understand it must be annoying if you live by the park.  Just call the police to come break them up if it's really so bad...  But even then, I'm sure they'll be back the next night.  Just try not to let those guys sour you to motorcyclists in general.  Some of us are (more) mature.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life