relax

Author Topic: motorcycles out of control  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Christine

• Governor
motorcycles out of control
« on: June 17, 2006, 03:36:42 PM »
The noise is seriously interfering with my sleep. All last night, dozens of these a$$holes were in rare form, circling the park and racing up/down/up/down/up/down the block.

I have nothing against motorcycles themselves, just the blatant rudeness. It's not any more okay on a Fri/Sat night than on a weeknight (not that it matters to these jerks.)

So I didn't hesitate to call 911, twice. The dispatcher asked, "Did anybody get hurt?" and I was like, "It's only a matter of time." So somebody has to die first, I suppose? Doesn't it count that I can't even function during the day from lack of sleep?!! They say that driving while sleep-deprived is as bad as driving drunk, imagine half the neighborhood trying to go about their day like this.

Why can't they all just hit the highway and ride for a couple of hours in one direction, then turn back? Then go park quietly on Shore Blvd. and schmooze. I honestly don't understand why the cops haven't figured out how to control this nuisance.

{{{whew}}} rant over.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Re: motorcycles out of control
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
I too am really annoyed and concerned by this. Both the speed bikes, and the Harleys.

There's another "Noise Pollution" thread on this board. It's important that EVERY time you hear a loud bike, or observe a dangerous situation that you call 311 and report an "Illegal noise coming from outside". It's listed under a "quality of life issue". They'll take the complaint and forward to 114 precinct. It's important that these complaints show up in our neighborhood.

If you see speeding, racing, running a red light etc, then call 911.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 06:11:09 PM »
Whenever I call 311 about this, they switch me over to 911. This is the first time I called 911 directly. The speed is clearly excessive in addition to the noise.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Gatorboy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:42:57 PM »
http://gis.nyc.gov/ops/mmr/pdffiles/311NOISE_401.pdf

The problem is already well known by the precinct and elected officials. Community Board 1 is, sadly, again not in the better half of community boards in Queens. Surprise.

Recall many newspaper stories on this.

Why does this little problem seem to be beyond anyone's ability to control?

Now if they could handle this little noise problem as well as they let those developers in to despoil blocks and sidewalk cafes to hog the sidewalks, well we can all dream!! 

Offline Mark

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:32:22 AM »
We have the same problem with motorcycles on 30th ave near athens park.  I would say the 3 biggest sources of noise pollution in our hood are motorcycles, garbage trucks and car alarms.  And its great that the motorcycles and garbage trucks always set off the car alarms.  Fun, fun, fun...

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 11:34:02 AM »
Has anyone called the 114th on this yet?  Did they give any response?  It's something that could and should also be raised on Tuesday.  Motorcycles can be incredibly noisy, and if they're engaging in exhibitionist behavior they can be a danger as well (not to mention setting off all the durn car alarms).

futility

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 11:41:22 PM »
Who are all these loosers on $10K+ bikes anyway?   I guess they're trying to differentiate themselves from the competition: 4 guys in a car w/ lots of neon and interior LCDs pumping euro-techno., cruising for dates to one of the many 'exclusive' velvet rope nightclubs in Astoria.  I guess the only ones who don't instantly see that they all live with their moms & spend their pittance on vehicles are their pool of potential mates.

pathetic.

Offline okkichan

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:01:54 AM »
i feel you all with the noise, the hogs that set off the car alarms, and most recently we had a guy sitting at the light deliberately living is rear wheel and revving the engine to create a continous skidding out sound while he waited for the light to change... at 6am.

however, is 911 the best route? why is 311 sending you to 911? dudes on bikes is not an emergency. it worries me that i'll have an emergency one day and i'll be on hold because people are complaining about the noise.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »
If a biker is breaking the law (speeding, racing, going through red lights) then this indeed is an emergency as it endangers the public.

But noise related complaints are taken by 311.

I was thinking; with all these extra cops around here you'd think you'd hear less of the hogs. Nope, they are still there. I wish our policemen cared about the noise.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:36:19 PM »
They don't seem to be doing much about the motorcycles at all, which is lamentable.
I wish they'd enforce the traffic laws for both motorcycles and bikes.  I love to see people biking, but not on the sidewalks coming right at me.  There are laws to keep bikes of the sidewalks for a good reason.

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 02:14:06 PM »
There was an article in the sunday times last week (or two weeks ago?) about how many motorcyclists are actually making their bikes louder because they are afraid drivers won't see them. apparently the number of accidents involving motorcycles had greatly increased in the last 5 or 10 years, in part because of the greater number of riders and in part because drivers tend not to be aware of them, so motorcyclists have been adding lights ans making their bikes louder n an attempt to make sure that drivers are on the lookout.

This doesn't mean it's ok to go around revving your engine at 6 in the morning for no apparent reason, but it's somewhat reassuring to see that there is a valid concern behind some of the loudness

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:23:28 PM »
I've heard this argument being made, but I'm not sure I buy it.  Motorcycles have horns and if a car is coming too close, they can honk as well, or move out of the way, just like cars and trucks do for each other, without having to be loud.  Straight pipes, which have to be installed on the bikes in order to make them louder, are illegal in NYS, though when the bikers are given tickets, they just remove the straight pipes, appear in court with a document to that effect, the ticket is dismissed and they re-install them.  Most of the motorcycle groups do not advocate installation of straight pipes and feel they only serve to promote "exhibitionist" behavior - revving of the bikes, lots of noise, drag racing.  When I worked at the City Council, the head of the New York State Motorcycle organization came down on a few occasions to testify against straight pipes.

Newtownian

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 03:21:53 PM »
The sport bike set drive me nuts.. They go up and down astoria park seriously going in cirlcles for about an hour at a time driving like a-holes. Just waiting for a time when one of these losers falls off or someone gets hurt. Personally, I think they should close off that strip by the park.

Offline Rapture

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
I've heard this argument being made, but I'm not sure I buy it.

I completely don't buy it.  Motorcycles are MUCH louder than they would need to be "to alert other drivers."  When motorcycles go by my apartment, I can hear them for a LONG time afterwards - until they are VERY far away.  It's overkill. 

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 11:14:42 PM »
dudes on bikes is not an emergency. it worries me that i'll have an emergency one day and i'll be on hold because people are complaining about the noise.

The way they tear it up, it's dangerous all right. As I type there they are outside, being assholes as always, speeding up and down and up and down and up and down...........

Removing the risk of some pedestrian or biker being run over by them will make for one less 911 emergency call. It's not like I call every week or even every month, but it's dangerous and should be taken seriously.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life