relax

Author Topic: Chives, Leeks  (Read 2451 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Chives, Leeks
« on: June 13, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »
Is it just me or was last week's selection of chives a bit "tough"? We tried preparing them a couple different ways and things just didn't work out.

The leeks too were really "chewy", again, prepared a couple times. What am I missing?

Anyone have any ideas here?

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
Re: Chives, Leeks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 03:21:23 PM »
Is it just me or was last week's selection of chives a bit "tough"? We tried preparing them a couple different ways and things just didn't work out.

The leeks too were really "chewy", again, prepared a couple times. What am I missing?

Anyone have any ideas here?

Hm, I thought the chives were fine. I used them in a salad and in a Diane pan sauce for chicken, and had no problems. The flowers were tasty!

I tried braising the leeks, and they were a bit chewy because they were underdone. I think to make them cook evenly I should have separated the layers during cooking, so that the thicker parts would get cooked better. But I think that was my fault, not the leeks...

What did you do, specifically, that didn't work?

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 03:35:10 PM »
The leeks I tried frying in some stir fry, once I cooked them a lot, the other time just lightly. Maybe they were undercooked.

As for the chives they were really thick, almost like chewing on hay. Perhaps I just got a particularly dry bunch or something. I couldn't get those right by either frying, or baking them (in a dish). These were different from the chives I've seen at the store which seem less hay-like and more thin and soft.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »
The leeks I tried frying in some stir fry, once I cooked them a lot, the other time just lightly. Maybe they were undercooked.

As for the chives they were really thick, almost like chewing on hay. Perhaps I just got a particularly dry bunch or something. I couldn't get those right by either frying, or baking them (in a dish). These were different from the chives I've seen at the store which seem less hay-like and more thin and soft.

I'm not too surprised that the leeks were chewy if you tried to stir-fry them. I don't think they work that way very well. They definitely seem to have more cellulose and less water than, say, a white onion. I suppose you could cook them separately (braised, say), and then add them to the stir-fry later, but that's probably more work than you'd want to do... I generally think of leeks as being boiled (in soup), braised, or steamed, but not really just stir-fried...

The chives we got had flowered already. I actually mostly used the shoots without flowers, and those were smaller and maybe a little more tender... I'm a little surprised that baking them didn't work, though! The moisture from the other stuff you were combining them with should have steamed them...

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 05:27:20 PM »
I'll remember that advice about the leeks. As for the chives, yeah it didn't make sense to me. I think I might have gotten a particularly thick bunch.

kickingchicken

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 04:45:14 PM »
Yup, I found some of the chives unchewable.  I think they were the stems for the flowers.  I had cut up all of my remaining chives, sauteed it with green garlic and butter, then scrambled in some eggs.  For lunch, I dug in, and it was quite tasty, until I had to spit something out.  Turns out it was a woody chive bit.  I've got more egg concoction to eat tonight, and I'll need to pick out the offensive chives before I dig in.  *sigh*

:-(

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »
i thought it was just me!

i 'dried' out the chives in my oven on low overnight... i thought maybe i had the heat on too high and that's why they were tuff.....hrm..... very crunchy... or tuff... it was kinda sucky. :(
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:21:37 PM »
Maybe the woody chives would be good for an olive oil infusion?

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »
That's an interesting suggestion Meg!

I did use the chives on a baked potato the day after we got them and they were fine, but I likely used the non-flowered ones. But yeah, my twice-baked potatoes with chives were sadly not as good as I had hoped due to the toughness. Maybe next time!

On a positive note my dill is not hay-like at all. ;)
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life