relax

Author Topic: Subway Etiquette  (Read 97532 times)

Offline schmennifer

• Campaigning for Council
Re: Subway Etiquette
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2006, 12:45:04 PM »
I'm actually quite impressed that the panhandlers have long stories to tell. Do they do this in any other city? I've never encountered story-telling panhandlers before.

Offline dp1024fj

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2006, 12:49:51 PM »
Er..."Jappy"? You all made fun of her real/imaginary racism and called her Jappy in the same post.

I asked for forgiveness but the term was used as an illustration and anyone that read the post knew what I was talking about, if I offended anyone forgive me.  (But I believe I said that originally)

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2006, 12:50:14 PM »
Most subway-car panhandlers have a story that they can tell in about 2 or 3 minutes - enough time to tell the story, make the rounds through the car to get cash from anyone who gives it, and then get off the train almost immediately after.

The story usually runs along the lines of "I lost my job, my husband/wife/other died, I have nowhere to sleep tonight/nothing to eat/etc., please help."

The guy I mentioned is unusual because his story went for 3 stops, which is not a best practice at all.

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2006, 01:25:50 PM »
I'm actually quite impressed that the panhandlers have long stories to tell. Do they do this in any other city? I've never encountered story-telling panhandlers before.

Once in Philly a panhandler walked up to me and said "if I tell you a joke and it makes you laugh, will you give me fifty cents?"  I said OK, he told a joke, I didn't laugh, started to walk away, he said "let me try one more time," I said "OK," he told another joke, I couldn't keep from chuckling; he'd earned his half a buck so I gave it to him.  He thanked me and went on his way.  I don't remember the joke.

That was the only time I gave money to a panhandler, as far as I remember.  Hey, he earned it.  Value for value.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2006, 01:29:55 PM »
I saw a guy on 42nd st a few weeks ago with a sign offering to let people yell at him for $5.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2006, 01:35:26 PM »
I saw a guy on 42nd st a few weeks ago with a sign offering to let people yell at him for $5.
Ya think he's still there?
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2006, 01:41:43 PM »
Telling jokes might not be so bad.  I like some of the singers/performers (some, not all).

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2006, 01:48:36 PM »
Ya think he's still there?

If I see him again I'll set up an appointment for you :)

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »
i'll give food to people but not money. i agree that they'll get by and keep doing it.

i did however give money to the dude who has the sign:
NEED MONEY FOR
BEER
POT
& HOOKER
HEY AT LEAST I'M NOT BULLSHITTING YOU

i gave him a buck.
a few months later i started getting his pic in email forwards

Victorine

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »
The guy I mentioned is unusual because his story went for 3 stops, which is not a best practice at all.

Perhaps he should hire a consulting firm to streamline the procedure.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2006, 02:31:23 PM »
Or he could just do a little research.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »
a consulting firm could be set up for aspiring panhandlers, with courses, how-to-guides, tips on location and wardrobe...  scary!

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »
Has anyone else ever encountered the mariachi band on the 6? I love those guys. I used to get them all the time leaving school and going uptown around 9:15 back to Grand Central to catch my train.

And the 3 guys who sing who say "if you don't have any money to give, you can just smile". I don't remember where I've seen them, but I've seen them twice. They're not bad either.

Even if some people find it annoying, it's better than listeining to someone's cell phone conversation or watching someone pick their nose or a pimple. Ewww....
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline Rachel780

• Council Member
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »
i'll give food to people but not money. i agree that they'll get by and keep doing it.

i did however give money to the dude who has the sign:
NEED MONEY FOR
BEER
POT
& HOOKER
HEY AT LEAST I'M NOT BULLSHITTING YOU

i gave him a buck.
a few months later i started getting his pic in email forwards

I've seen this guy (or someone with a similar sign) and it sort of makes me laugh, but wouldn't give money. I don't have a problem giving food, or money to subway performers, though.

nycatexas

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »
I usually give some change to the performers if they are good, and even if they aren't too talented but they have enthusiasm, I'll still contribute. Never again the blind accordian player (earlier in this thread)! We all have a sob story, that's life, so I never give to anyone straight begging except if they are missing a limb. That may sound crude but at least I know they have a hardship greater than me, and whether my change helps get them a hamburger and/or a hooker, well, so be it.

My latest favorite encounter with a train performer: Kinda early one Sunday morning we were going downtown I think to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge but anyway the trains weren't crowded. We were sitting across from the door and at Queensborough this dark-haired, kindy messy but cute girl gets in the car, looks around feverishly and jumps back to the platform as the other train pulls in and is clearly torn between the two, then barely gets back in our car before the doors close. She stands at the pole right in front of us and I was looking at her, she was about 20, very cherubic-like, and I thought "I hope she's not lost". Just as the train pulled out of the station she opened her mouth and out came the most beautiful operatic melody, instantly every eye in the car was upon her. She sang almost the whole way through the tunnel and, man,what a powerful voice, you could hear her perfectly over the roar of the train. The car erupted in applause - it was fantastic! She made out pretty well, everyone in the car was giving bills including us,a (very rare) buck each. At 59th she thanked us and took a bow before getting out. I'm smiling just thinking about it. I love New York City.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life