relax

Author Topic: Subway Etiquette  (Read 96359 times)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Subway Etiquette
« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2010, 12:15:20 AM »
I saw a weird thing today - someone left a bottle of lotion, open, on the seat and it got all over two seats rolling around (and on my pants).  I wasn't pleased, but got a tissue out of my bag and cleaned it up - just gross and wrong.  Two people actually said thank you - which was surprising - the trains were packed today because of Gay Pride.

Offline goldfish

• Activist
    • Sara V. Nagle, LMT
« Reply #736 on: July 15, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
I saw a bad one on Tuesday.  A teenage girl (about 15) was sitting and minding her own business, when this douchebag took a picture of her with his phone.  Unbeknownst to the douchebag, her father was sitting nearby, and got up and smacked the guy and made him delete the picture, all the while calling him a sick bastard. 

The weird thing is, the douchebag, the girl, and the dad all stayed in the same train car afterward.  Douchebag made some vague apologetic noises, but the dad was having none of it and just kept yelling at him.

Offline newell the jewell

• Senator
« Reply #737 on: July 15, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
I saw a weird thing today - someone left a bottle of lotion, open, on the seat and it got all over two seats rolling around (and on my pants).  I wasn't pleased, but got a tissue out of my bag and cleaned it up - just gross and wrong.  Two people actually said thank you - which was surprising - the trains were packed today because of Gay Pride.

Oy Vey! Lotion? That’s just wrong.  And on Gay Pride nonetheless. Not to make light of the situation, but there’s an oxymoron in there someplace

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #738 on: July 15, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »
what's the best protocol when someone decides to wear a huge backpack on the subway and swings around hitting folks with it?  are people just generally clueless and think they're hitting some other pole or a door, even if they're not near one?  wouldn't the angry looks of the people getting hit with the bag prompt folks wearing these large bags to put them on the ground?  I just don't get it.

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #739 on: July 16, 2010, 11:57:43 AM »
what's the best protocol when someone decides to wear a huge backpack on the subway and swings around hitting folks with it?  are people just generally clueless and think they're hitting some other pole or a door, even if they're not near one?  wouldn't the angry looks of the people getting hit with the bag prompt folks wearing these large bags to put them on the ground?  I just don't get it.

The worst is when folks wear their backpacks on just one shoulder.  That makes them even lower down and more likely to stick out and bang into people.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
Angry looks only go so far.  I've told people on the trains that their backpack is taking up the space of two people.  Amazing how many nodding heads I'd see.  Backpacks are just a bad idea on the subway during rush hour.

Offline casicua

• Senator
« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
Angry looks only go so far.  I've told people on the trains that their backpack is taking up the space of two people.  Amazing how many nodding heads I'd see.  Backpacks are just a bad idea on the subway during rush hour.
I take my gym clothes to work every day, so I need a backpack- I've found that the best and most unintrusive way to have one at rush hour is to keep it in front of you and hold it by the handle like a tote bag to ensure you're not accidentally hitting people with it.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #742 on: July 16, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
I take my gym clothes to work every day, so I need a backpack- I've found that the best and most unintrusive way to have one at rush hour is to keep it in front of you and hold it by the handle like a tote bag to ensure you're not accidentally hitting people with it.

Amen to that - I hope that catches on.

Offline SamScram

• Resident
« Reply #743 on: July 18, 2010, 01:41:42 AM »
I will always drink coffee on the way to work in the AM.  If not drinking coffee is proper etiquette, count me out!  I don't see what the big deal is.  If I get stopped for it being illegal or whatever, I'll just say I had no idea.  I really didn't until about a year ago.  It's absurd, it isn't written on any list of laws that is posted in the subways (yes, I'm sure there's a link, but I never had a reason to look as I never thought I did anything wrong in the subway), and I see people drinking all the time.  So how would I had known?  I only learned of the silly rule because my bf told me randomly one day.

What I HATE when getting on a train....
Ok, train is pulling up and you and others wait on the sides of the doors to let passengers off before boarding.  Let's say there are about 10 of you getting on, well 3rd person on stops RIGHT in front of the door when there is plenty of room on the train?!  I've seen it so many times and I always call the person an idiot or something.
HA!  One time it was that scenario but there were already passengers on both sides of door, and this stupid woman stops in the middle.  FYI, train wasn't even 1/2 full.  REALLY?!  How is ANYONE behind supposed to get in without pushing them or calling them a moron?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #744 on: July 18, 2010, 09:32:09 AM »
I wonder if some of the people who stop right inside the train doors when there is a lot of space inside and folks behind them are really trying to get shoved - maybe they're into that?  It really does boggle the mind.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #745 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »
Where do people usually sit if all seats are open?  At the edges or in the middle?  I'm seeing lots of people sitting in the middle of the three seaters with no one on either side.  Any I the only one who thinks that's odd?  I always try and get an end of a seat.

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #746 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
Where do people usually sit if all seats are open?  At the edges or in the middle?  I'm seeing lots of people sitting in the middle of the three seaters with no one on either side.  Any I the only one who thinks that's odd?  I always try and get an end of a seat.

I go for the ends... more to lean against.

Offline jfdpl686

• Resident Visa
« Reply #747 on: August 23, 2010, 12:09:19 AM »
I always try to be the less intrusive with my backpack, most times carrying on my hand in the train but I have received insults from people and yes, people saying it is taking space for two persons or to put it in the floor.
I’m sorry, but I carry my camera and expensive gear in my backpack. I won’t put it in the floor and I won’t keep it loosely since I have to protect it.
I totally agree in courtesy rules; I never take a seat and always look for the edges of the cars where I should not bother most people… but most times, those spots are taken by people reading taking even more space than my backpack!

I believe, people who has to carry large packages are entitled to do it since they even allow bicycles, and the ones to blame here are not always the users but the system itself… I’m sorry, but for the money I’m paying for the service, there should be more trains running and in fewer intervals. Check the services in other cities and/or countries and you will figure it out. 

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #748 on: October 05, 2010, 08:22:42 AM »

how are the trains this morning
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President