relax

Author Topic: Subway Etiquette  (Read 94905 times)

Offline daisy

• President
Re: Subway Etiquette
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »
I'm not sure I see where you're going with that?  I'm certainly not defending anyone.  However, it seems to me and many others that there is a perpetual battle of "personal confort zones" when it comes to being up against several million people.

I think she just meant that alot of people seem to use "It's NY" as their excuse for their rude behavior.  They would probably be rude anyway no matter what city or town they were in.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
OMG you are totally right, JD!  I used to sit for an hour and a half in bad traffic to get from Berkeley to SF, driving at total of probably 12 miles.  Yuck.

did you ever take the BART?
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline photomill

• Citizen
    • The Photomill
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »
I think she just meant that alot of people seem to use "It's NY" as their excuse for their rude behavior.  They would probably be rude anyway no matter what city or town they were in.

Totally agree.  I think people "perceive" that the frequency may be lower in other cities just because of the population density.  Other than that, people are people so.....

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2006, 11:07:59 AM »
I found a new low last night on the train.  I was sitting on the corner seat in one of the older N models with the eight seats sticking out into the middle and a woman sat across from me.  Her bf (I guess that's who he was, they didn't have rings on) didn't have a seat, but started making out with her, leaning over while the train was moving.  It was too much PDA, but no one said anything and I just ignored them.  Finally the seat next to the window opened up and I slid over.  Unfortunately the seat in the two seater next to the window seat also opened up and the couple moved over to sit on either side of me.  The man moved over so close that he was almost in my lap and started trying to make out with her and caress her again, while I was trapped in the corner seat, with no escape route.  This made for four very unhappy train stops for me.  I've seen PDAs and affection before, and one can be discreet, but this couple was just out of control.  I've never seen anything like it.

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
I found a new low last night on the train.  I was sitting on the corner seat in one of the older N models with the eight seats sticking out into the middle and a woman sat across from me.  Her bf (I guess that's who he was, they didn't have rings on) didn't have a seat, but started making out with her, leaning over while the train was moving.  It was too much PDA, but no one said anything and I just ignored them.  Finally the seat next to the window opened up and I slid over.  Unfortunately the seat in the two seater next to the window seat also opened up and the couple moved over to sit on either side of me.  The man moved over so close that he was almost in my lap and started trying to make out with her and caress her again, while I was trapped in the corner seat, with no escape route.  This made for four very unhappy train stops for me.  I've seen PDAs and affection before, and one can be discreet, but this couple was just out of control.  I've never seen anything like it.

You should have yelled get a room!  :wink:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2006, 11:13:25 AM »
I did think about it, but I shy from confrontation usually.  I didn't appreciate it at all, especially since he was half over my knee by the second stop.  I kept bumping him with my newspaper in a passive-aggressive attempt to get them to comport themselves with some decorum, but they must have been raised by wolves (apologies to any well behaved wolves who might be reading Astorians.com).

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2006, 11:15:46 AM »
they must have been raised by wolves

Nonsense.  had they been raised by wolves, they would simply have sniffed one another's ass then he would have mounted her from behind.  It would have been over and done with before the second stop.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »
Eeep.  That could be very shocking on the subway, though it would have probably been less intrusive.

ZiP!

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2006, 11:51:12 AM »

I hear you on that stuff.  I was on a downtown 4 train the other day - during my morning commute (so it was about 8:45 AM) and this couple standing up by the doorway starts making out, and keeps making out, and keeps making out.  i don't really mind PDA all that much, however something about it being so early in the morning just seemed wrong.  and also, the girl was a foot taller than the guy, and they both just looked odd - typical NYC, haha

Offline dp1024fj

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2006, 11:57:26 AM »
I have a funny subway story...

So I wan on the 6 tain heading uptown.  I got to like 92nd street (or whatever is after 86th) and this (forgive the term) Jappy UES girl gets off the train.  She was in her mid 20's and there was this African American guy standing in the door to the train when it opened.  She tried to get off the train and let out a "Oh My god"  the kind with that squeek at the end (you know wht I am talking about).  Any way this african american guy who was also in his 20's (or maybe younger) returned her comment with "Oh My God why are there black people everywhere" 

The train erupted!!!  Every was laughing so hard for a split moment we were a unified city all ganging up on this poor girl.  I know it was rude but it was also VERY funny!

Only in New York

Offline schmennifer

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2006, 12:14:51 PM »
Er..."Jappy"? You all made fun of her real/imaginary racism and called her Jappy in the same post.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2006, 12:19:34 PM »
This morning a panhandler got on the N at 57th St and told his life story until I think 34th St. When he only got $1 he yelled at all of us that what goes around comes around and god is watching.

Thing is, I've heard him before and his story was shorter. He claims he was incarcerated for trying to defend his child against a harrassing neighbor and after getting out jail he was homeless and jobless and then his kid was taken away and he went ballistic and was jailed again. Anyway, there's a lot more, now highlighting a sister who is sick with cancer and has either already died or has only a short time left to live.

He's SO BAD at this that I think his story is probably mostly true. 

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2006, 12:24:44 PM »
I always wonder about the ones who say, "I don't rob, steal or murder, etc." and think that this is a selling point.  Yes, I guess panhandling is better, but we're supposed to applaud you for not engaging in crimes?  It seems like a veiled threat - give me money or I will, "rob, steal, murder, etc."  I give to a lot of charities and try to help groups that I know do good work for people in need, but I never give on the train.  I'm actually horrified when I see people give on the train as I think it encourages people to beg on the train.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2006, 12:31:02 PM »
Exactly. When you see the same people begging with the same story month after month, year after year, it means they're managing to get by with begging. Once I heard a man openly challenge a woman on I think the F/V by suggesting that she go to a shelter. She just kept telling her speil(sp) in louder and louder tones. And he kept talking over her about the shelter. It was crazy.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2006, 12:33:22 PM »
I know some of the shelters need a lot of work, but they're much improved since Bloomberg took office (I do give him credit for this).  The shelters have to be better than the street.
I don't like the subway preachers either.  I don't tell them about Lutheran theology, they shouldn't tell me about their theology either.  I just want to read my book or newspaper in peace and (relative) quiet.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life