relax

Author Topic: Subway Etiquette  (Read 94862 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
Re: Subway Etiquette
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2006, 11:33:11 PM »
Didnt Brazil recently start female only subway cars?  Terrible idea.  Id hate to be on a car full of men.  It would be a disgusting pit. Im pro co-ed subway cars.

Offline schmennifer

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2006, 11:48:43 PM »
Didnt Brazil recently start female only subway cars?

I don't know about Brazil, but Japan has had "women-only" cars for a few years now because they were fed up with all the gropers during rush hour. As a woman, I have to admit that I loved it not because I was afraid of gropers, but because it tended to be the least-packed car on the train. 

JustDesserts

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2006, 12:09:38 AM »
Call me crazy, but I can deal with the nose picking.  I wouldn't even notice it since I stick my face in my Harry Potter book and become oblivious to all surroundings. It's just gratuitous noise that irritates me.

I forgot about this other time when I was on my way home from class around 11PM and this dude in a really nice suit was throwing up all over the train car.  He'd clearly had a few and couldn't quite hold it.  No joke - when the train finally stopped, every last person (and it was a full car so there were a load of people) hightailed it out of that car into another one.  The sick guy stayed on!  Etiquette would dictate if one is ill, one should stay in the station near a garbage can until one feels well enough not to yak all over the other train passengers.

I don't know if segregated cars would help.  Women are just as noisy as men.  Men are noisy when they sit across from each other.  Women are noisy even when they're squished next to each other. 

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2006, 09:24:40 AM »
Gropers SUCK.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
Gropers are pretty wretched people.  I try to always have something to read as well - it's the easiest way for me to cope with being in a confined space with people who are usually too close for my personal comfort.  Harry Potter is a great way to escape - I'm usually reading some bad fantasy or sci-fi book myself.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2006, 03:06:28 PM »
And it definitely beats the hell out of driving and sitting in traffic for hours.

OMG you are totally right, JD!  I used to sit for an hour and a half in bad traffic to get from Berkeley to SF, driving at total of probably 12 miles.  Yuck.

nycatexas

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2006, 04:45:44 PM »
Meg I love the trains too and am awed by their ability to get so many people to so many destitnations in such a relatively short period of time. We went to Coney Island yesterday and rode the N train end to end, it was only an hour and 10 minute trip. I wonder how long it would take by car in traffic?

Also, I'm not trying to be the old-timer here, but when I lived here in the 1980's the trains were so disgusting. I don't recall ever seeing someone sweep or mop, and every train/station/platform smelled like pee mixed with the b.o. of all the homeless people. It was rare to get in a car and NOT see a homeless person sleeping/passed out. And understanding the intercom announcements? Fughedaboudit (sp? LOL) I was so shocked at the difference when I came back to visit NYC in 1999. 42nd street also blew me away....it went from XXX everywhere to Disney and WWF!

JustDesserts

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2006, 05:02:48 PM »
What I can't seem to wrap my head around is how short the distances we travel inside New York really are.  What is it, like 5 miles from Astoria to my school?  And it takes 45 minutes to get there on the train!  Nevermind driving!  Driving 5 miles in the 'burbs takes 7 or 8 minutes! It's just different, and kind of funny.

I am quite amazed how safe I feel on the subway even at 11 at night.  I'm vigilant, but I don't feel threatened.  And I surely don't miss freeways!  I'm actually dreading having to drive everywhere when I get home.  The only luxury will be getting to chuck all my crap into my car instead of my backpack!   :-D

As for etiquette, New York seems in good company.  I remember my three-month stint in London, facing the same irritations.  Except all the yammering was done in an English accent.  There did seem to be a higher incidence of nose-picking there somehow. 

astorianactivist

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »
Glad to hear I am not the ONLY subway rider who notices men sitting with their legs so far apart as to take up 2 seats...even on a crowded train.

Is this a macho thing?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2006, 11:40:23 AM »
Has anyone ever had a bad experience from sitting down in an open seat?  I made the mistake recently of taking an open seat next to a rather rude young man (one of a pair sitting across from each other in the far corner - the two sets of two seats).  While I didn't slide into the seat and only used the front inch or two to sit and try to read, I got a non-stop commentary from 34th Street back to Astoria (Queensborough Plaza) about "punk ass bitches" (I guess that was me) and other not so nice terms.  He wasn't a very big guy, but he definitely was aggressive and unpleasant, though we didn't get into an altercation, not even a verbal one.  It was weird - he kept complaining about me to his friend, but we never exchanged words.  It was late enough that no one was standing on the train, and when a seat opened up down the train, I immediately moved.  He seemed even more offended when I moved and complained about that as well.  It was just strange.

What is the proper etiquette?  If someone gives you a nasty look and seems to want to hold two seats, while only using one, should you not sit down?  I just wanted to read and not get jostled by the train. 

I have always thought one should try and accommodate others on the train.  I learned recently that this consequences.  I slid over to the edge to make room and a woman sat next to me on the bench.  It was tight, but it was the right thing to do.  When the person on the other side moved though, she stayed right up, almost in my lap.  I didn't know whether I should say something - "Um, you have several inches on the other side, why not slide over..." or just ignore it.  I was surprised that she opted to stay smushed right up against me and not have more space.  Thankfully my stop came soon and I left the train.

Offline photomill

• Citizen
    • The Photomill
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »
Entitlement.  I got here first.  I can take up as much room as I want (unless you want to fight).  Where do you want me to go?  Why don't you move?

There's no answer and you just have to do whatever you're comfortable with in each situation.  I've been luck thus far and haven't had any major altercations with train-folk.  I did tell a woman on a crowded train that was taking up two seats (on for her purse) that it was rude to do that.  She told me that I was obviously not from New York.  Cussing came shortly thereafter.

In being "nice" or "considerate" we're on the losing team it seems - except for Team Karma.  In NYC, there is some truth to "nice [people] finish last".  I love this city.  I hate this city.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »
I think you're right - it's probably a sense of entitlement, and a lack of manners/consideration for others.  I never want to start a fight - you don't know if someone is unbalanced or if they have a gun or a knife, but I just couldn't believe the behavior.

mc

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2006, 11:55:42 AM »
Entitlement.  I got here first.  I can take up as much room as I want (unless you want to fight).  Where do you want me to go?  Why don't you move?

There's no answer and you just have to do whatever you're comfortable with in each situation.  I've been luck thus far and haven't had any major altercations with train-folk.  I did tell a woman on a crowded train that was taking up two seats (on for her purse) that it was rude to do that.  She told me that I was obviously not from New York.  Cussing came shortly thereafter.

In being "nice" or "considerate" we're on the losing team it seems - except for Team Karma.  In NYC, there is some truth to "nice [people] finish last".  I love this city.  I hate this city.

I just don't understand the "New York defense."

Offline photomill

• Citizen
    • The Photomill
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2006, 12:03:29 PM »
I just don't understand the "New York defense."

I'm not sure I see where you're going with that?  I'm certainly not defending anyone.  However, it seems to me and many others that there is a perpetual battle of "personal confort zones" when it comes to being up against several million people.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »
I think we're such a melting pot and people from different parts of the country and world all have different concepts of personal space.  I tend to want people not to be touching me and to be a few inches between us, if possible.  Other folks seem to not mind being right up against you.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life