relax

Author Topic: New Neapolitan pizzeria at 36-08 Ditmars Blvd -Tufino  (Read 8564 times)

Offline akuban

• Citizen
New Neapolitan pizzeria at 36-08 Ditmars Blvd -Tufino
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
There's a new pizzeria going in at 36-08 Ditmars -- in what used to be the American Woodworking space.

Some info here: http://queensnyc.com/2012/08/more-pizza-is-coming-to-ditmars-blvd-in-astoria/

But I'll add more: @AstoriaHaiku on Twitter talked to someone there who said it would be "different than anything" and "Italian style."

To me that screamed Neapolitan wood-oven pizzeria. Sure enough. I poked my head in today and saw they had a Stefano Ferrara wood oven all set up and looked pretty dang close to opening. The workers in there said "next month," and @Astoriahaiku quoted them as saying 2 to 3 weeks. They've done a lot of work already. Did a good job of keeping this a secret.

A Stefano Ferrara oven doesn't guarantee great pizza, but it's considered the Cadillac of pizza ovens. Whoever is opening this place shows signs of wanting to do it right.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:41:51 AM by AJTNYC »

Astorians

New Neapolitan pizzeria at 36-08 Ditmars Blvd -Tufino
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: New Neapolitan pizzeria at 36-08 Ditmars Blvd
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »
Thanks for the new info, Adam. This is a much more exciting development - I love to see the quality of pizza continue to grow in Astoria.

Offline round2

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »
Commitment to good quality ingredients, consistent quality and an emphasis on welcoming, well-trained customer service. If these are added to the top-of-the-line pizza oven, then they could have quite a business on their hands. I'm always amazed that restaurant owners don't understand these basics, or feel that they can work without some or all of them.

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
I passed by this place last night and noticed that it's right down the block from Alba's Pizza.  If this new place is good it will be big competition for Alba's.  I'm not crazy about Alba's Pizza.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 06:36:14 PM »
I passed by this place last night and noticed that it's right down the block from Alba's Pizza.  If this new place is good it will be big competition for Alba's.  I'm not crazy about Alba's Pizza.

Alba's has a loyal following so they'll be fine but you are right; having a different kind of pizza choice over there is really good news.  I can't wait for this place to open.  I hope it's as good as Via Trenta and Antika. 

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
The other pizza place that opened over there didn't last long.  I heard the pizza wasn't so great.  Yes Alba's may have a loyal following, but when this new place opens they might decide to try it and if it's better than Alba's I'm sure that they would switch and go to the new place.  I know that I would.

Offline Creed Bratton

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
[size=78%]I hope it's as good as Via Trenta and Antika. [/size]

I hope it's as good as Basil, aka the BEST pizza in Astoria by a mile.

Offline nyc_borv

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »
Has this place opened yet?

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
It didnt' open yet.  It's still under construction and has paper in the window so you can't see inside.  I have to try Basil after all the rave reviews, but I'm definitely going to try this place when it opens.

Offline nyc_borv

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
Basil is good, I go there when I'm too lazy to go to Grimaldi's. FYI Grimaldi's has several locations these days, with the shortest line being @ the one in Douglaston.

I hope this new place is at least as good as Basil with it's own style.

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
I looked in the window of this place the other night and it looks like it's really shaping up.  The pizza oven looks great!  I hope it opens soon. I can't wait to try it.

Offline geo

• Campaigning for Council
  • The skies the limit.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Steve fired up the oven and the place is looking great. They will also specialize in fried food. I think about 3 weeks away.

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
I live in an apt. building and I noticed a bunch of menus from Albas by the front entrance.  I never saw menus from Alba's before so they must be getting nervous that they will lose business from this new place and are giving out menus.

Offline LHT

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »
website and FB page up - http://www.tufinopizzeria.com/#!home/mainPage

day off today...wish they were open already!

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »
I just looked at the website.  The menu looks fantastic and so many different kinds of pizza. It doesn't say how much one slice is though.  I know this place is going to be great!  I can't wait for it to open.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life