relax

Author Topic: bugs in my apartment  (Read 43222 times)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
bugs in my apartment
« on: June 09, 2006, 04:34:32 AM »
Well this is a topic we all love, isn't it? I grew up next to a farm, and now I'm living in New York City. I'm seeing bugs I've never seen before. Last year we had a few house centipedes  :-o, and so far this year I've seen a few bugs I can't identify. I mean they're all the same kind of bug, but I have no idea what they are. I thought maybe they're young house centipedes, but I can't find pictures of those. They're maybe half an inch long with a body that's maybe 1/5" wide, have a bunch of very short legs, and they squish easily. They also like appearing on my bed and walking on my wall, and I think they're afraid of light.

They're not particularly frightening and they apparently are not there to bite me, but I am not a big fan of anything on my bed aside from people and cats, so I do not appreciate their presence. Anyone have any ideas what these bugs are?

duluoz_cats

Re: bugs in my apartment
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 06:23:09 AM »
Sounds like what you're describing is a silverfish. Funny, I just saw one of these on the wall over my desk the other day. I notice I start to see them when it's been damp out (and uh, well, we're pretty much well waterlogged after this past week ...).

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/factsheets/silverfi.html

Not a fan of these guys myself, but much prefer to see one of them than a roach ... (if forced to choose ...)  :|

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:52:02 AM »
The good news about the centipedes is that they eat roaches and spiders, the bad news is that if you step on one they sting.

JustDesserts

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:32:24 AM »
Whoa, I think I had one of those things in my apartment not too long ago.  It was a good inch and half long with wild antennae, kinda yellowish brown, and had way more legs than was necessary.  I looked at the silverfish picture, and it had many more legs than that.  What I do know is that it was disgusting and horrible, and I just wanted it dead.  If it had been on my bed and not my wall I think I would have lost my mind.  We did not have these nasty things in California.  Silverfish, yes - loads - but not these alien critters.  I truly hate bugs.  Except ladybugs   :-D

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:12:39 AM »
I love ladybugs!  :)

Earwigs really get me.  I think centipedes/millipedes would freak me out.  And don't even get me started on spiders.

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 10:49:33 AM »
I get those too. I always called them silverfish, but the ones in my apt do have a lot more legs than the ones in the picture, so maybe they are something else. Before I got my cat I used to get some really big ones, now they don't survive nearly as long, and it's fun to watch the cats stalk them- they used to spend hours lurking behing the toilet b/c there was a hole in the wall that the bugs came out of. They were very upset when I plugged it up :)

JustDesserts

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »
Before I got my cat I used to get some really big ones, now they don't survive nearly as long, and it's fun to watch the cats stalk them- they used to spend hours lurking behing the toilet b/c there was a hole in the wall that the bugs came out of. They were very upset when I plugged it up :)

Just another shining example of why cats are wonderful creatures sent to us directly from heaven.  What are your cats' names, Anzubird?  My cat in CA loves to catch lizards and bring them to me.  He's so thoughtful :). Now that I'm here, he brings them to my mom instead.

But yeah, those nasty multi-legged beasts should go back to the planet from whence they came.

Earwigs really get me.  I think centipedes/millipedes would freak me out.  And don't even get me started on spiders.

What is an earwig?  It sounds horrific.  And I'm with you on the spider thing.  Sure, they eat other bugs, but they're just plain awful.  Fortunately, I haven't seen any in this apartment.  And that treacherous -pede thing is really the only serious bug we've had.  In CA around this time of year, we would get this disgustingly huge, long-legged flying mosquito-looking things.  I don't know what they're called, but they fly really erratically and they have a long snout thing.  They're my worst nightmare.  I haven't seen any here, thank goodness!!

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »
Earwigs are black bugs that crawl around mostly outside, and have a pincher looking appendage at their butt end.  They won't bite or pinch (at least I've never been pinched), but are just grody.  Very fast moving, too.

I think you are referring to mosquito hawks, those guys with the long legs and snout that fly erratically.  Used to get them all the time in CA.  Totally harmless.   But a little scary looking.

I think I had a brown recluse living in the back corner of a cupboard I rarely looked into.  Now I realize not eradicating it was probably unwise, as those suckers are more poisonous than black widows (which I saw from time to time in CA).  I was never bitten or anything, but still.

Yellowjackets still freak me out, as do most stinging insects.  I remember sitting in a park with my family having a picnic.  There was a little bit of luncheon meat sticking out of a sandwich.  A yellowjacket landed on the meat, cut off a chunk and flew away with it, bobbling from right to left as it flew off.  Was freaky.

What is an earwig?  It sounds horrific.  And I'm with you on the spider thing.  Sure, they eat other bugs, but they're just plain awful.  Fortunately, I haven't seen any in this apartment.  And that treacherous -pede thing is really the only serious bug we've had.  In CA around this time of year, we would get this disgustingly huge, long-legged flying mosquito-looking things.  I don't know what they're called, but they fly really erratically and they have a long snout thing.  They're my worst nightmare.  I haven't seen any here, thank goodness!!

JustDesserts

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 11:41:04 AM »
Checked out the earwig link - yup, those things are hideous.  Had a lot of them in the garden in CA.  They loved to hang out in the potting soil bag.

Ah, mosquito hawks.  Well, there's an accurate name if I ever heard one.  They're huge!  Good to know they're harmless.  If only they weren't so disgusting. 

How terrifying - a brown recluse!?!  Black widows are just a joe-average spider compared to those things.  Speaking of black widows, they seem to be rather common in CA.  Had quite a few of those in the garden, and one in the garage.  I love that they stay outside, though.  We never saw one in the house.

Yeah, anything that stings is a problem.  I had a gigantic bee in my room a couple days ago.  I pointed my fan at it and it blew him out the window.  Meg, your story about the yellowjacket was both hilarious and creepy.  :) 

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 11:47:09 AM »
I love ladybugs!  :)

You must have left the midwest before the multicolor Asian ladybeetles became an infestation! They're an import that were brought in to eat agricultural pests, but they're not nearly as pleasant a species as the native American ladybug. In the Fall, they swarm to the South sides of houses, and you can get thousands of them around the windows. And they smell bad and they bite! You have to literally vacuum them up to prevent the house from getting littered with their dessicated corpses...

I'm OK with small numbers of any bug, it's when they swarm that I get unhappy with them.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 11:50:41 AM »
You must have left the midwest before the multicolor Asian ladybeetles became an infestation!

Harlan, I think you are correct.  These bugs sounds unpleasant.  I do know that ladybugs are quite vicious to other bugs and show no mercy when they want a meal.  We had these beetles in Stony Brook that would congregate outside a window and somehow find their way inside, and they died off relatively quickly.  Not sure what that was all about.

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 02:57:03 PM »
Pretty sure they're not silverfish. I've seen grown ones of those back
home, and what I'm seeing now aren't as fast, plus they're more of a
tan/brown color and the antennae aren't very long. I guess it's
possible they're young silverfish (don't know what those look like),
but they don't seem to be in the same family. I'll have to do some
more Googling from work.

Some of you are describing house centipedes, those terrifying looking
things with crazy antennae and a ton of long legs that like to fall
off your wall when you try to get rid of them. Our cat loves those
too. This site has a bunch of good/terrible pictures of them:
http://whatsthatbug.com/cent_2.html
THANKFULLY I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE ON MY BED.  :-o I've only
ever seen them on the wall in the kitchen, and thankfully I've never
seen their prey, the roach, in my apartment. These things I'm seeing
in my room are not nearly as scary.

JustDesserts

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 03:01:07 PM »
Essen, that's it!!!!  That is the nasty thing that was on my wall!  A house centipede! Thanks for the picture.  It actually made me shudder. 

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 03:35:43 PM »
Essen, that's it!!!!  That is the nasty thing that was on my wall!  A house centipede! Thanks for the picture.  It actually made me shudder. 

Oooh, I had one of those too, a year or two ago. Reading this whole thread is making my skin crawl! My landlady stopped by the other day to ask if I wanted the exterminator to do my apartment when he does the building. I don't have a HUGE bug problem, but I have a few, and hey - it's free.

I have serious issues with stinging, flying things. I'm the one at a picnic or any other social function who screams and flees the area when a bee/wasp/etc. starts flying too close to me. Really embarrassing. Luckily, my whole life I have only been stung once. I don't know what it was - bee or wasp or something - but it made the underside of my arm red from my sholder to my elbow for days. I don't think that's normal... and additionally it hurt like hell, so I just steer clear of them.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 12:37:24 AM »
Whoa, I think I had one of those things in my apartment not too long ago.  It was a good inch and half long with wild antennae, kinda yellowish brown, and had way more legs than was necessary.  I looked at the silverfish picture, and it had many more legs than that.  What I do know is that it was disgusting and horrible, and I just wanted it dead.  If it had been on my bed and not my wall I think I would have lost my mind.  We did not have these nasty things in California.  Silverfish, yes - loads - but not these alien critters.  I truly hate bugs.  Except ladybugs   :-D

i have those same exact things. i hate them.  the good thing about them is that they die easily. you smack em with a shoe and they disintigrate into a million pieces. it's satisfying. i'm violent. i hate bugs.  but they do come around b/c it's humid.

i've lived in a basement for the past 3 years. soo...  :(
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 12:37:24 AM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life