relax

Author Topic: Bud's Alehouse-Old Salvation Army Location  (Read 10073 times)

Offline LastStop

• Council Member
Bud's Alehouse-Old Salvation Army Location
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Anyone know what's happening with this bar?  Is it really a Canz/Hooters-type place, or more legit? 

Astorians

Bud's Alehouse-Old Salvation Army Location
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

Offline stish

• Tourist
Re: Bud's Alehouse-Old Salvation Army Location
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »
I was just hired as a bartender here and this is will silence all the gossip.  NO.  It is not going to be another Hooters, or Canz, or some place where girls with small self esteem and equally as opposing busts go to work.  This is going to be one hell of a sports bar.  80 beers on tap, 60 TVs, it is the real deal.  And if you still need affirmation, the uniform for guys AND girls are jeans and a crew shirt they are giving us.  Yes this bar will be in the same restaurant family as Hooters, but just because it is in the same family doesn't mean it will be the same.  Chipotle is owned by McDonalds and, though it may not be the best analogy, they (Chipotle and McDonalds) are no where near the same quality or same neighborhood of food.  I hope that is post will help any insight into the future of Buds Ale House and that you all at least give it one try and stop in and see what it is all about before deeming it a black spot in Astoria.  The people running really have their act together, they know what it takes to put up a good restaurant.  I hope to see you all there.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
"...where girls with small self esteem and equally as opposing busts go to work." 

Nice way to introduce yourself to our community. 

Offline stish

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »
"...where girls with small self esteem and equally as opposing busts go to work." 

Nice way to introduce yourself to our community.

I hope you noticed that that was how I was describing Hooters...NOT Bud's Ale House.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

I hope you noticed that that was how I was describing Hooters...NOT Bud's Ale House.

Oh, my reading comprehension skills are just fine.  I was observing the sexist commentary of a bartender for Bud's Ale House.

Offline stish

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
Oh, my reading comprehension skills are just fine.  I was observing the sexist commentary of a bartender for Bud's Ale House.

I hugely apologize if you took it that way, but in no way was I commenting on being a bartender at Bud's.  I'm a bartender at Bud's.  I was merely trying to respond to all the posts that people have written about judging Bud's because it is in the Hooters family.  This place will be nothing like Hooters.  It is going to be your good, down home, neighborhood sports bar.  So again, I apologize if that is how what I wrote earlier read, but that was not the intention and, just to note, I am not the only person who has presumably knocked women that work at Hooters.  I stated that Bud's is going to be nothing like it.  But again, I apologize and now I am going to find a crowbar to pry the foot from my mouth.  Have a good one.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
Chipotle is owned by McDonalds and, though it may not be the best analogy, they (Chipotle and McDonalds) are no where near the same quality or same neighborhood of food.

I think they are separate businesses now, but I get your point. Thanks for the post and I appreciate the effort you made to clear up the situation. I do like sports bars cuz I like watching baseball games and will likely check this one out.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »

I hugely apologize if you took it that way, but in no way was I commenting on being a bartender at Bud's.  I'm a bartender at Bud's.  I was merely trying to respond to all the posts that people have written about judging Bud's because it is in the Hooters family.  This place will be nothing like Hooters.  It is going to be your good, down home, neighborhood sports bar.  So again, I apologize if that is how what I wrote earlier read, but that was not the intention and, just to note, I am not the only person who has presumably knocked women that work at Hooters.  I stated that Bud's is going to be nothing like it.  But again, I apologize and now I am going to find a crowbar to pry the foot from my mouth.  Have a good one.

Thanks for clearing that up and your apology.  I think you unintentionally hurt your initial pitch for the place with that knock against the Hooter's workers, but I do see that you were just reacting to and perpetuating the (unfortunate) culturally accepted sexist perception of the women who work there.  I look forward to checking Bud's out -  I'm a beer fan, so the menu alone will get me in there.

Offline stish

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
and at risk of really digging an unsurmountable grave, i just wanna say that I have a cousin and two very good friends that work at Hooters and love it there.  I have nothing against the establishment at all.  I was merely making a comment on what others said in this blog:

http://www.astorians.com/community/index.php?topic=22490.0

regarding Canz, Hooters, and those type of restaurants posted by other Astorians.  I was in no way knocking Hooters or making a sexist remark.  I guess that is where the internet falls short, the way I meant for that comment to be read and the way it was read were two very different ways, and again I apologize for it.  So before I ruin anyone else's day, or my job if my employers find this, I will say goodbye and I hope I was able to clear up any confusion or miscommunication.

Bottom line, Bud's Ale House looks like it is going to be a real hotspot in the neighborhood with an excellent staff and a rock and roll admin team behind it making it all work.  It will be a great place to come in, try a craft beer or several, watch the game, and take a load off.  Hope to see you all there.

Offline Rangers42

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
I wish we could get a place like this up near Ditmars.

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »

Offline pineapple

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
I'm glad it isn't a Hooters, but I'm not happy that it is a subsidiary of a national chain. With Applebees, Panera, Pizzeria Uno just around the corner I worry that this part of Astoria is getting "malled," and I hate that (and I live very nearby).

Offline plank

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
no need to apologize at all!

this board is crawling with people that just cannot wait to be offended.

Offline Metsfn

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
Yes you are correct Astoria is getting "malled" by Applebees and so on, but Bud's is a brand new place like nothing you have seen before.  There isn't one on every corner, ie. Applebee's, but great food and a great atmosphere to hang out with friends.  I think it opens in about a week.  Cannot wait!!!!! :grin:

Offline pineapple

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 02:35:43 PM »
Metsfn, how do you know "what [I've] seen before"? One thing people on this board hate is when a business owner/manager/employee posts as if they are just a regular person, but we love when a business owner/manager/employee posts as themselves saying something like: "As the manager of Bud's Ale House, I think you'll be surprised at the quality of our food and service. I invite you to come give us a try when we open." So, how's about doing that?

Offline Metsfn

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
Wow dude you really take things personally.  It was a general statement. I actually don't work there but I do know  the owners, that is why I know about it.  I thought this was all about opinions and forums, not pissing contests.  Sorry I voiced my opinion.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life