relax

Author Topic: Recipes for this week's produce  (Read 9902 times)

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
Re: Recipes for this week's produce
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 06:17:44 PM »
My rhubarb cake is in the oven, my quinoa is almost ready for my leek creation!  Such a food adventure trying to figure out what to do with things.

This is only my second CSA year and I spent several weeks last year scratching my head over kale.  Yes, kale.  It's simple and fantastic and yet I could not figure out how anyone was supposed to eat it.  Rhubarb is a lot trickier than kale.  So KC (kingchicken), it's pretty normal to be overwhelmed right now.  I've never cooked rhubarb OR leeks before so while I've found recipes, it's still all new to me.

You also only really need one bite of success to push on through to the next experiment.  My first food this week, salad, was simple and good.  Today I want to know what the rest will taste like!
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 09:50:08 PM »
So, thanks to Jayme, I was inspired to finally tackle quinoa. I have never cooked it before, and we have had some sitting in our cabinet for a while so I decided to take a chance.

Here is roughly my version (all thrown together, nothing measured):

> Quinoa in the rice maker with some vegetable broth seasoning
> 1 leek sauteed in olive oil for a few minutes
> Handful of freshly roasted almonds, chopped
> A few stalks (?) of chives, plus one flower head torn apart into individual flowers
> Bragg's Liquid Aminos - maybe a couple or three tablespoons (for those of you unfamiliar it is similar to soy sauce, but lower in sodium)

So essentially, after cooking the leek for a bit I added the quinoa, the bragg's, then the chives (including the flowers), and then the almonds and cooked for just a couple minutes more, stirring quite frequently. I tested it and it tasted pretty good. But it is for my lunch tomorrow, so I'll most certainly know for sure then. ;)

I have posted a picture on the flickr group that Vidiot set up...
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 10:30:01 PM »

This week's bounty is mostly freaking me out.  *hugging lettuce and strawberries in the safety of my bosom*   :|

sadly, i agree with kicking chicken.... but i was assured by my share partner that there's more stuff coming in the weeks ahead as it's early in the season. my partner took the rhubarb and leeks. i tried to dry out the chives in the oven on low heat.  now my place and me smell like unjuns. 

lettuce was good! the strawberries are cute!
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 09:50:39 AM »
now my place and me smell like unjuns. 

lettuce was good! the strawberries are cute!

Let us know how those dried chives turned out! I suspect they'll be good reconsitutued in soups... And yeah, those are some tasty strawberries. My grape nuts have been greatly enhanced this week! And without paying $6/pint at the greenmarket...!

Incidentally, for those making the rhubarb bread/cake recipe, if you make two loaves and (like me) don't have enough friends to give away everything, quick breads apparently freeze relatively well. I wrapped my second loaf in foil then put it in a plastic bag. It might need to be refreshed in a hot oven for 5 minutes after thawing....

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 10:01:49 AM »
Last night I made, based on a recipe from Epicurious:

strawberry rhubarb compote with ginger and lime

12 oz. strawberries
8 oz. rhubarb
5 Tbsp raw sugar
1.5 Tbsp minced crystalised ginger
1/2 tsp micrograted lime zest
juice from 1/2 lime

Mix everything together in a 3 qt. pan over med-high heat, stirring almost constantly.  After a few minutes there will be quite a bit of juice.  Bring the juice to a bare boil and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook for ~5 more minutes, until the rhubarb starts to break down.

Yields about two cups.  It's sweet enough, but still with a really nice tartness, which suits my non-sweet tooth admirably.  I had some as a topping for plain yogurt for dessert.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2006, 11:13:04 AM »
Last night I made leek and white bean soup (not quite the same as lanseaux's, I didn't have enough leeks). This was a casual throwing things into the pot recipe - cooking the beans, stirring in a sauteed leek, adding veggie broth, adding some sage from the windowsill at the last minute.

I tried it with truffle oil and fancy olive oil and shavings of parm (in different helpings - didn't try both oils at once). It was yummy.

I made a strawberry-rhubarb crumble that wasn't too sweet from "The New Way to Cook." Tossed strawberry and rhubarb with flour, just a little sugar, and lemon juice. Spread in a thin layer and topped with a mixture of very finely chopped almonds, flour, butter and sugar. It was very nice. I wished I had some creme fraiche to go with.

And I made a fabulous salad as well - lettuce with a tomato and some chive blossoms. Nice.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2006, 11:49:03 PM »
Well I made Lanseaux's soup, and it was delicious! For someone who has probably never even looked twice at a leek, I think I handled it okay. I didn't have enough leek either I think, but I just made it with what I had, and I think I prefer it warm instead of cold. I also noticed that maybe I didn't blend it enough, as there are little stringy bits of leek in mine - perhaps that's the texture thing I was warned of?

Anyway, it didn't matter because it tasted great. I was VERY proud of myself!  :-D

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 09:02:22 AM »
Jen made Laura's leek & white bean soup with some sausage in it, Very tasty.  I prefered it hot, Jen liked it cold.

JustDesserts

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2006, 09:21:36 AM »
This is only my second CSA year and I spent several weeks last year scratching my head over kale.  Yes, kale.  It's simple and fantastic and yet I could not figure out how anyone was supposed to eat it. 

That kale would be fantastic in the leek and white bean soup everyone is talking about.  Just wilt a load of that green goodness into your soup and you have instant fabulousness.  It's also good cooked similarly to spinach - not obliterated, but lightly wilted in a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe a little onion . . .  very healthy, too!

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 09:29:54 AM »
Kale huh, the Portugese (check with flooz)  put it in a soup made with chic peas, garlic and sometimes crumbled sausage or chorizo.  You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock.  Makes for a very hearty meal.  Serve it with toasted chunks of bread for dunking.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »
Kale huh, the Portugese (check with flooz)  put it in a soup made with chic peas, garlic and sometimes crumbled sausage or chorizo.  You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock.  Makes for a very hearty meal.  Serve it with toasted chunks of bread for dunking.

Caldo verde!  Kale, potatoes, sausage (try linguiƧa!). . . I don't have a recipe, though, because my aunt was the keeper of the family recipes, and she died three summers ago.   :cry:

-signed,

the other Portuguese member of Astorians.   8-)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2006, 10:18:12 AM »
rhubarb bread/cake

Made this yesterday and boy is it tasty!  My housemate likes it, too.  I ended up putting all the batter in one loaf pan and baking it for about a hour and a half.  It's a huge loaf!  But totally fine and delicious.  I think it is even better the second day.  Thanks, Harlan!

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »
Most of my childhood was spent in the south (Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee), so kale and collard greens were a staple.

My family always just boiled them (or did the pressure cooker) with some salt. I know that other southerners will tell you to cook them with some sort of meat or fat, but we were all vegetarians, so that really wasn't anything we tried.

I still buy kale and collard greens from Key Food (can't wait to get the real deal from Farmer Bill, though), and I still just boil them with some salt until they are at my desired tenderness. The end result is always what I consider to be fabulous and fabulously simplistic. :)
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

flooz

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
Caldo verde!  Kale, potatoes, sausage (try linguiƧa!). . . I don't have a recipe, though, because my aunt was the keeper of the family recipes, and she died three summers ago.   :cry:

-signed,

the other Portuguese member of Astorians.   8-)

don't get me started on caldo verde! its my all time favorite soup. And we do it the simple way, onions minced finely, potatoes mashed super mushy, kale shredded thinly and a bunch of chorizo. when we get kale in the load, i vote whoever doesn't want theirs to add it to the pot and i'll bring my mom over and she'll make a huge vat of it!

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
Flooz, if your mom is coming, we also need her to bring:
linguica
chorizo
hiant prawns
portugese breads
cheese
grain alcohol

We will bring apetites, much praise & thanks!  I would gladly give up my kale if your mom will cook.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life