relax

Author Topic: Recipes for this week's produce  (Read 9901 times)

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
Recipes for this week's produce
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:40:45 PM »
Hi, I thought it might be fun and useful to start a thread of recipe suggestions for this week's produce! I just finished baking (and am waiting for to cool) a rhubarb bread/cake recipe that I originally got from the CSA cookbook that'll be organizing a group order of. (Wow, that is one grammatically disasterous sentence!) It's really sweet and tasty, and is a great change of pace from the (doubtless fantastic) strawberry-rhubarb pie that I know everyone else is making this week! I've posted the recipe here...

flooz

Re: Recipes for this week's produce
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »
... i went and bought the dang book a couple of weeks ago,  :oops: couldn't resist! i wanted to have something on hand for an occasion such as this where the first veggie was something i had never laid eyes on ...RHUBARB????

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 10:58:09 PM »
The bread recipe looks awesome!

I didn't have time to bake bread so I washed about half the red leaf, added some shaved radish, cut up a few chives, and crumbled the flowers into a salad.  Added olive oil and a little bit of balsamic for a vinegrette, salted, tossed, and ate yum yum.  The chives have a nice spice to them and the flowers are good good.  Could have been less conservative and added more flowers (the plan for tomorrow) and the flavor was strong enough to require very little dressing.

I may make a rhubard compote (rhubarb, sugar, lemon cooked down) to freeze as I'm leaving town shortly and am not sure I'll make it through everything before I go.

Leeks will be tomorrow's dinner.

The strawberries, of course, are little bits of desert all during the day and won't last too long.
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:42:13 PM »
Cream of Leek and White Bean Soup

A riff on vichyssoise.

1 lb leeks (1 lb. usable part).  Make sure to wash them well.
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
salt to taste
1 15 oz. can great northern beans (or other small white beans), drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup half and half

Gently sauté the sliced leeks (sprinkle with salt) in the butter until they are completely softened.  Do not brown.  Add beans and broth; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Puree with stick blender or in blender and chill completely, even overnight.

Just before serving, stir in the half and half.  This is really, really tasty - it has a rich, satisfying flavour.  It's also tasty without the half and half.

Yield:  64 fluid oz. (8 cups)

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:54:56 PM »
1 lb leeks (1 lb. usable part).  Make sure to wash them well.

You guys are going to have humor me and my ignorance about food... But what would be considered the "usable part" of the leek? Otherwise, this recipe looks totally up my alley (read: easy and not requiring any unusual kitchen equipment)!

JustDesserts

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:05:58 AM »
You guys are going to have humor me and my ignorance about food... But what would be considered the "usable part" of the leek? Otherwise, this recipe looks totally up my alley (read: easy and not requiring any unusual kitchen equipment)!

You know how leeks are kinda whitish near the roots and get progressively greener?  Well, the usable part refers to anything below where the leek starts to kind of fan out and the stalk gets tough and really dark green.  Although, technically, that part is edible, it's just got an unpleasant texture (in my opinion).  In school we would do this cool thing where we'd safe all that dark green stuff, slice it into really thin ribbons and deep fry them to use as garnishes.  It's gorgeous piled in a nest on top of steaks and stuff.  We also learned that Vichyssoise traditionally only uses the whitest part of the leek to get that beautiful, creamy white color, but it's a ridiculous waste, and the greener bits taste just as good. 

The part that stinks about leeks is that they are often grown in sandy soil and can get really gritty in between all the layers, so you have to be pretty diligent with the washing.  I find it easiest to cut off the roots, cut off the deep green fanned part, then cut the  leek in half lengthwise, and then rinse them really well under cold running water. 

All you need is a sharp knife.   :wink:

By the way, where can one obtain that CSA cookbook?  I'd love some creative veg recipes.  Veg are my Achilles heel.  Good idea on doing a recipe thread.  Are non-CSA-veggie recipes allowed? 

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 12:27:01 AM »
Thanks, JD.   :-D  I promise to be more explanatory in the future.  When I created this recipe I used all the edible parts of the leek, going into the green until the texture changed.  And even towards the top, you can use the under layers quite high up.  Using white beans also means that the colour of the soup tends a bit more towards tan than really white, but then again, it's a riff.   8-)

And I also clean them as JD described.  It never ceases to amaze me how far in the dirt can get.

JustDesserts

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:50:37 AM »
Yeah, that recipe sounds great, lanseaux.  I love the white bean thing.  A creative twist on a classic.  I have to admit that I actually prefer leek soups hot, though, which of course makes it even less like vichyssoise. 

I love it when people ask food questions on here.  It makes me feel like I know something.   :-D  It's also sad that I know as much as I do about cleaning leeks.  I couldn't tell you who's in the senate, but I can clean ya a leek!!

annie

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »
Great recipe! I love them leeks and I like to clean them the Lazy Woman's Way (which is also quite effective when you're also prepping lots of other stuff in the kitchen):

Cut as described, then rise briefly, then immerse all the cut layers into a sinkful of cold clear water. Agitate briefly (leeks are pretty hearty) and let them soak for a bit as you do other things. The leeks float to the top and all the silty sandy dirt falls to the bottom of the sink. You might have to really separate some of those layers to get down deep but I find this technique works really well. No grit.
I also like to make a traditional vichyssoise with asparagus (peeled fat ones, not skinny) blended in (use a stick blender in the pot or else transfer to blender)... velvety veloute, as the French would say!

cheers to the bounties of CSA!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:25:01 AM by annie »

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:26:02 AM »
By the way, where can one obtain that CSA cookbook?  I'd love some creative veg recipes.  Veg are my Achilles heel.  Good idea on doing a recipe thread.  Are non-CSA-veggie recipes allowed? 

Watch your email box for next week's CSA newsletter for information on signing up for the group cookbook order!

Allowed? :) Well, it's not like anyone's going to stop you from posting a recipe for steak au poivre here... But I was thinking this would be a good place for people to suggest recipes for the current week's CSA haul...

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »
I'd love some creative veg recipes.  Veg are my Achilles heel. 

There is a wonderful book called "Chez Panisse Vegetables" which talks about....vegetables!  It's really wonderful, written by Alice Waters and with beautiful prints in it, and of course great recipes.  JD, if you want to borrow it for a little while, let me know.  For me, it's just an amazing book.  If it's not already evident, I consider Alice Waters to be one of the most important influences in my food life.  She and her work (Chez Panisse, Edible Schoolyard) inspire me.  Eating at Chez Panisse is one of the greatest food joys of my life, and always feels like I'm coming home to someplace really special.

[edit: why oh why do I still make the same grammatical errors I did in grad school??? :P]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:46:36 AM by megc »

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:05:17 AM »
amusingly enough, there is a recipe for rhubarb soup in todays NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/07/dining/07mini.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
I made rhubarb muffins last night, and am planning a strawberry-rhubarb tart tonight.   

Saw a recipe for pork tenderloin with rhubarb-chutney earlier.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
You know how leeks are kinda whitish near the roots and get progressively greener?  Well, the usable part refers to anything below where the leek starts to kind of fan out and the stalk gets tough and really dark green.  Although, technically, that part is edible, it's just got an unpleasant texture (in my opinion). 

THANKS JD! And everyone else for the tips and cleaning techniques! I feel like I've got my very own Alton Brown available for all my basic questions.  :-D

I'm so impressed that you guys have already been cooking/making stuff with your CSA bounty. Last night, I just shoved everything in the fridge and ate cheese and strawberries for dinner.  :oops:  Ah the life of a young, overworked (lazy) singleton...

flooz

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 12:47:51 PM »
so is there anything other then rhubarb pie and the like? something not really deserty maybe? to have with my porkchops i have lined up for tonight? Or what about a side with the leeks instead? help me, im so new to these veggies!!!!!
and simple works best for us, we have very boring tastes...  :-D

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 01:00:43 PM »
Leeks and mushrooms sauteed together with thyme is very good.

Here's a recipe for porkchops with rhubarb. 

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 01:06:57 PM »
so is there anything other then rhubarb pie and the like? something not really deserty maybe? to have with my porkchops i have lined up for tonight? Or what about a side with the leeks instead? help me, im so new to these veggies!!!!!
and simple works best for us, we have very boring tastes...  :-D

Try doing a google search for "braised leeks". You cook the leeks in a saute pan with some combination of chicken or vegetable broth, white wine, and butter. Would be great with a porkchop! Here's a promising-looking recipe with lemon zest, for example...

flooz

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »
yummy yummy yummy! looks easy enough for me... pics to come.  :wink:

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 01:24:17 PM »
Being the resident quinoa addict, I'm going for Leek-tomato quinoa from epicurious.

Link here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108583

Will report back after dinner.
These are pigs.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »
Flooz, here's a recipe for rhubarb chutney.

flooz

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 03:13:58 PM »
thank you thank you thank you, im going to try to keep all of these so i have back ups!

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 03:24:02 PM »
Oh my god, these dishes and ideas look fantastic!  Sitting here drooling over all your posts.

Harlan how did your RHubarb bread turn out?

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 03:34:39 PM »
Oh my god, these dishes and ideas look fantastic!  Sitting here drooling over all your posts.

No wonder my keyboard is sticky. Yuck. Time to get some 409...

That pork with rhubarb chutney does look fantastic! Too bad I'm booked until Sunday at the earliest for dinner and won't get a chance to cook... :(

Harlan how did your Rhubarb bread turn out?

Excellent! I'm kicking myself for forgetting to bring some into work today! See my blog for photos...! (Oh, Meg, the recipe web site's back up now...)

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 03:51:50 PM »
Thanks, Harlan!  Recipe looks great!!  I am going to make it.

kickingchicken

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 04:07:21 PM »
The rhubarb and leeks are freaking me out a little.  I've never cooked rhubarb before, and the first (and last) time I dealt with leeks was disastrous.  I decided that throwing away so much of the green from the leeks was some kind of bourgeois conspiracy, so I cooked the whole dang thing in a soup and threw it in the blender.  Tasty, but ... the leek leaves were all hardcore unchewable fibers.  I had a miserable time eating it for days.   :cry:

I threw strawberries and chive flowers into a salad for lunch today, as an experiment.  The strawberries take some of the edge off the pepperiness of the flowers, I think.  It's an ... interesting taste.  It's pretty low-stakes as far as experiments go.

Oh yeah, and the chives are freaking me out too. 

This week's bounty is mostly freaking me out.  *hugging lettuce and strawberries in the safety of my bosom*   :|

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 04:48:45 PM »
kickingchicken,

sorry to hear of your uncertainties surrounding this week's share.  Chives are oniony, so you can snip them with scissors and sprinkle them over whatever you're having for a little zip.  If you want to mellow the onion taste out a little, add them to whatever your cooking near the end.  They'll cook a little but still add flavour.  As for the leeks - try either the recipe I posted earlier, or the braised leek recipe (I think there was a link to it).  Braised leeks might sound fancy, but they're really easy, and really, really delicious.  Just make sure you remove the dark green tough-feeling leaves.  The lighter green parts that are still shiny are just fine to eat.

The most important thing to know about rhubarb is that it needs a lot of sugar or sweetner to make it taste good.  And then it's excellent.  Here's a really simple recipe for rhubarb compote from Epicurious:

RHUBARB COMPOTE

4 cups 1/2-inch pieces fresh rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Combine everything in a large saucepan over medium heat, and stir until sugar dissolves.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Put in a bowl, cover and chill until cold, about 2 hours. Keep refrigerated

Makes about 3 cups.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 04:54:14 PM »
I'll also add that the flowers can be broken up and sprinkled throughout -- if you put in whole flower heads, it could be quite pungent.

cheers,
jayme
These are pigs.

flooz

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 05:03:06 PM »

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 05:21:49 PM »
Lots and lots and lots on rhubarb:

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

Oh internets, how i love thine information storehouse...

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
kickingchicken,  do not freak out.  You actually came up with a great dish that i'd like to expand upon for you.

Recently for a dinner I created a salad:
Greens
strawberries
blackberries
goat cheese
good salt and black pepper
strawberry vinagret with very good olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Your salad is right on the money and this weeks csa was perfect.  The chive instead of black pepper was a great option and nice color too.  Adding some cheese would round out the dish, add some fat (always a good thing) and a lite dressing would give it some zing.

So dont freak out, your insticts are fine.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 06:17:44 PM »
My rhubarb cake is in the oven, my quinoa is almost ready for my leek creation!  Such a food adventure trying to figure out what to do with things.

This is only my second CSA year and I spent several weeks last year scratching my head over kale.  Yes, kale.  It's simple and fantastic and yet I could not figure out how anyone was supposed to eat it.  Rhubarb is a lot trickier than kale.  So KC (kingchicken), it's pretty normal to be overwhelmed right now.  I've never cooked rhubarb OR leeks before so while I've found recipes, it's still all new to me.

You also only really need one bite of success to push on through to the next experiment.  My first food this week, salad, was simple and good.  Today I want to know what the rest will taste like!
These are pigs.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 09:50:08 PM »
So, thanks to Jayme, I was inspired to finally tackle quinoa. I have never cooked it before, and we have had some sitting in our cabinet for a while so I decided to take a chance.

Here is roughly my version (all thrown together, nothing measured):

> Quinoa in the rice maker with some vegetable broth seasoning
> 1 leek sauteed in olive oil for a few minutes
> Handful of freshly roasted almonds, chopped
> A few stalks (?) of chives, plus one flower head torn apart into individual flowers
> Bragg's Liquid Aminos - maybe a couple or three tablespoons (for those of you unfamiliar it is similar to soy sauce, but lower in sodium)

So essentially, after cooking the leek for a bit I added the quinoa, the bragg's, then the chives (including the flowers), and then the almonds and cooked for just a couple minutes more, stirring quite frequently. I tested it and it tasted pretty good. But it is for my lunch tomorrow, so I'll most certainly know for sure then. ;)

I have posted a picture on the flickr group that Vidiot set up...
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 10:30:01 PM »

This week's bounty is mostly freaking me out.  *hugging lettuce and strawberries in the safety of my bosom*   :|

sadly, i agree with kicking chicken.... but i was assured by my share partner that there's more stuff coming in the weeks ahead as it's early in the season. my partner took the rhubarb and leeks. i tried to dry out the chives in the oven on low heat.  now my place and me smell like unjuns. 

lettuce was good! the strawberries are cute!
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 09:50:39 AM »
now my place and me smell like unjuns. 

lettuce was good! the strawberries are cute!

Let us know how those dried chives turned out! I suspect they'll be good reconsitutued in soups... And yeah, those are some tasty strawberries. My grape nuts have been greatly enhanced this week! And without paying $6/pint at the greenmarket...!

Incidentally, for those making the rhubarb bread/cake recipe, if you make two loaves and (like me) don't have enough friends to give away everything, quick breads apparently freeze relatively well. I wrapped my second loaf in foil then put it in a plastic bag. It might need to be refreshed in a hot oven for 5 minutes after thawing....

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2006, 10:01:49 AM »
Last night I made, based on a recipe from Epicurious:

strawberry rhubarb compote with ginger and lime

12 oz. strawberries
8 oz. rhubarb
5 Tbsp raw sugar
1.5 Tbsp minced crystalised ginger
1/2 tsp micrograted lime zest
juice from 1/2 lime

Mix everything together in a 3 qt. pan over med-high heat, stirring almost constantly.  After a few minutes there will be quite a bit of juice.  Bring the juice to a bare boil and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook for ~5 more minutes, until the rhubarb starts to break down.

Yields about two cups.  It's sweet enough, but still with a really nice tartness, which suits my non-sweet tooth admirably.  I had some as a topping for plain yogurt for dessert.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2006, 11:13:04 AM »
Last night I made leek and white bean soup (not quite the same as lanseaux's, I didn't have enough leeks). This was a casual throwing things into the pot recipe - cooking the beans, stirring in a sauteed leek, adding veggie broth, adding some sage from the windowsill at the last minute.

I tried it with truffle oil and fancy olive oil and shavings of parm (in different helpings - didn't try both oils at once). It was yummy.

I made a strawberry-rhubarb crumble that wasn't too sweet from "The New Way to Cook." Tossed strawberry and rhubarb with flour, just a little sugar, and lemon juice. Spread in a thin layer and topped with a mixture of very finely chopped almonds, flour, butter and sugar. It was very nice. I wished I had some creme fraiche to go with.

And I made a fabulous salad as well - lettuce with a tomato and some chive blossoms. Nice.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2006, 11:49:03 PM »
Well I made Lanseaux's soup, and it was delicious! For someone who has probably never even looked twice at a leek, I think I handled it okay. I didn't have enough leek either I think, but I just made it with what I had, and I think I prefer it warm instead of cold. I also noticed that maybe I didn't blend it enough, as there are little stringy bits of leek in mine - perhaps that's the texture thing I was warned of?

Anyway, it didn't matter because it tasted great. I was VERY proud of myself!  :-D

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 09:02:22 AM »
Jen made Laura's leek & white bean soup with some sausage in it, Very tasty.  I prefered it hot, Jen liked it cold.

JustDesserts

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2006, 09:21:36 AM »
This is only my second CSA year and I spent several weeks last year scratching my head over kale.  Yes, kale.  It's simple and fantastic and yet I could not figure out how anyone was supposed to eat it. 

That kale would be fantastic in the leek and white bean soup everyone is talking about.  Just wilt a load of that green goodness into your soup and you have instant fabulousness.  It's also good cooked similarly to spinach - not obliterated, but lightly wilted in a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe a little onion . . .  very healthy, too!

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 09:29:54 AM »
Kale huh, the Portugese (check with flooz)  put it in a soup made with chic peas, garlic and sometimes crumbled sausage or chorizo.  You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock.  Makes for a very hearty meal.  Serve it with toasted chunks of bread for dunking.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »
Kale huh, the Portugese (check with flooz)  put it in a soup made with chic peas, garlic and sometimes crumbled sausage or chorizo.  You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock.  Makes for a very hearty meal.  Serve it with toasted chunks of bread for dunking.

Caldo verde!  Kale, potatoes, sausage (try linguiça!). . . I don't have a recipe, though, because my aunt was the keeper of the family recipes, and she died three summers ago.   :cry:

-signed,

the other Portuguese member of Astorians.   8-)

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2006, 10:18:12 AM »
rhubarb bread/cake

Made this yesterday and boy is it tasty!  My housemate likes it, too.  I ended up putting all the batter in one loaf pan and baking it for about a hour and a half.  It's a huge loaf!  But totally fine and delicious.  I think it is even better the second day.  Thanks, Harlan!

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »
Most of my childhood was spent in the south (Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee), so kale and collard greens were a staple.

My family always just boiled them (or did the pressure cooker) with some salt. I know that other southerners will tell you to cook them with some sort of meat or fat, but we were all vegetarians, so that really wasn't anything we tried.

I still buy kale and collard greens from Key Food (can't wait to get the real deal from Farmer Bill, though), and I still just boil them with some salt until they are at my desired tenderness. The end result is always what I consider to be fabulous and fabulously simplistic. :)
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

flooz

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
Caldo verde!  Kale, potatoes, sausage (try linguiça!). . . I don't have a recipe, though, because my aunt was the keeper of the family recipes, and she died three summers ago.   :cry:

-signed,

the other Portuguese member of Astorians.   8-)

don't get me started on caldo verde! its my all time favorite soup. And we do it the simple way, onions minced finely, potatoes mashed super mushy, kale shredded thinly and a bunch of chorizo. when we get kale in the load, i vote whoever doesn't want theirs to add it to the pot and i'll bring my mom over and she'll make a huge vat of it!

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
Flooz, if your mom is coming, we also need her to bring:
linguica
chorizo
hiant prawns
portugese breads
cheese
grain alcohol

We will bring apetites, much praise & thanks!  I would gladly give up my kale if your mom will cook.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006, 12:31:58 PM »
Most of my childhood was spent in the south (Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee), so kale and collard greens were a staple.

My family always just boiled them (or did the pressure cooker) with some salt. I know that other southerners will tell you to cook them with some sort of meat or fat, but we were all vegetarians, so that really wasn't anything we tried.

Mmm, me too! This is one of the things I used to love growing up. Collard greens boiled down with some bacon in there... (drool)

I am definitely looking forward to getting some greens in!

Vidiot

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2006, 02:24:45 AM »
By the way, I tried the recipe megc found for pork chops with rhubarb, onion, and raisin chutney.  Wonderful and easy.  We had it with chive mashed potatoes. 

Pics TK on the Flickr group.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2006, 08:46:09 AM »
By the way, I tried the recipe megc found for pork chops with rhubarb, onion, and raisin chutney.  Wonderful and easy.  We had it with chive mashed potatoes. 

Glad it worked out for you, Vidiot!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life