relax

Author Topic: Recipes for this week's produce  (Read 9900 times)

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
Recipes for this week's produce
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:40:45 PM »
Hi, I thought it might be fun and useful to start a thread of recipe suggestions for this week's produce! I just finished baking (and am waiting for to cool) a rhubarb bread/cake recipe that I originally got from the CSA cookbook that'll be organizing a group order of. (Wow, that is one grammatically disasterous sentence!) It's really sweet and tasty, and is a great change of pace from the (doubtless fantastic) strawberry-rhubarb pie that I know everyone else is making this week! I've posted the recipe here...

flooz

Re: Recipes for this week's produce
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »
... i went and bought the dang book a couple of weeks ago,  :oops: couldn't resist! i wanted to have something on hand for an occasion such as this where the first veggie was something i had never laid eyes on ...RHUBARB????

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 10:58:09 PM »
The bread recipe looks awesome!

I didn't have time to bake bread so I washed about half the red leaf, added some shaved radish, cut up a few chives, and crumbled the flowers into a salad.  Added olive oil and a little bit of balsamic for a vinegrette, salted, tossed, and ate yum yum.  The chives have a nice spice to them and the flowers are good good.  Could have been less conservative and added more flowers (the plan for tomorrow) and the flavor was strong enough to require very little dressing.

I may make a rhubard compote (rhubarb, sugar, lemon cooked down) to freeze as I'm leaving town shortly and am not sure I'll make it through everything before I go.

Leeks will be tomorrow's dinner.

The strawberries, of course, are little bits of desert all during the day and won't last too long.
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 11:42:13 PM »
Cream of Leek and White Bean Soup

A riff on vichyssoise.

1 lb leeks (1 lb. usable part).  Make sure to wash them well.
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
salt to taste
1 15 oz. can great northern beans (or other small white beans), drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup half and half

Gently sauté the sliced leeks (sprinkle with salt) in the butter until they are completely softened.  Do not brown.  Add beans and broth; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Puree with stick blender or in blender and chill completely, even overnight.

Just before serving, stir in the half and half.  This is really, really tasty - it has a rich, satisfying flavour.  It's also tasty without the half and half.

Yield:  64 fluid oz. (8 cups)

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:54:56 PM »
1 lb leeks (1 lb. usable part).  Make sure to wash them well.

You guys are going to have humor me and my ignorance about food... But what would be considered the "usable part" of the leek? Otherwise, this recipe looks totally up my alley (read: easy and not requiring any unusual kitchen equipment)!

JustDesserts

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 12:05:58 AM »
You guys are going to have humor me and my ignorance about food... But what would be considered the "usable part" of the leek? Otherwise, this recipe looks totally up my alley (read: easy and not requiring any unusual kitchen equipment)!

You know how leeks are kinda whitish near the roots and get progressively greener?  Well, the usable part refers to anything below where the leek starts to kind of fan out and the stalk gets tough and really dark green.  Although, technically, that part is edible, it's just got an unpleasant texture (in my opinion).  In school we would do this cool thing where we'd safe all that dark green stuff, slice it into really thin ribbons and deep fry them to use as garnishes.  It's gorgeous piled in a nest on top of steaks and stuff.  We also learned that Vichyssoise traditionally only uses the whitest part of the leek to get that beautiful, creamy white color, but it's a ridiculous waste, and the greener bits taste just as good. 

The part that stinks about leeks is that they are often grown in sandy soil and can get really gritty in between all the layers, so you have to be pretty diligent with the washing.  I find it easiest to cut off the roots, cut off the deep green fanned part, then cut the  leek in half lengthwise, and then rinse them really well under cold running water. 

All you need is a sharp knife.   :wink:

By the way, where can one obtain that CSA cookbook?  I'd love some creative veg recipes.  Veg are my Achilles heel.  Good idea on doing a recipe thread.  Are non-CSA-veggie recipes allowed? 

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 12:27:01 AM »
Thanks, JD.   :-D  I promise to be more explanatory in the future.  When I created this recipe I used all the edible parts of the leek, going into the green until the texture changed.  And even towards the top, you can use the under layers quite high up.  Using white beans also means that the colour of the soup tends a bit more towards tan than really white, but then again, it's a riff.   8-)

And I also clean them as JD described.  It never ceases to amaze me how far in the dirt can get.

JustDesserts

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:50:37 AM »
Yeah, that recipe sounds great, lanseaux.  I love the white bean thing.  A creative twist on a classic.  I have to admit that I actually prefer leek soups hot, though, which of course makes it even less like vichyssoise. 

I love it when people ask food questions on here.  It makes me feel like I know something.   :-D  It's also sad that I know as much as I do about cleaning leeks.  I couldn't tell you who's in the senate, but I can clean ya a leek!!

annie

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:10:51 AM »
Great recipe! I love them leeks and I like to clean them the Lazy Woman's Way (which is also quite effective when you're also prepping lots of other stuff in the kitchen):

Cut as described, then rise briefly, then immerse all the cut layers into a sinkful of cold clear water. Agitate briefly (leeks are pretty hearty) and let them soak for a bit as you do other things. The leeks float to the top and all the silty sandy dirt falls to the bottom of the sink. You might have to really separate some of those layers to get down deep but I find this technique works really well. No grit.
I also like to make a traditional vichyssoise with asparagus (peeled fat ones, not skinny) blended in (use a stick blender in the pot or else transfer to blender)... velvety veloute, as the French would say!

cheers to the bounties of CSA!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:25:01 AM by annie »

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:26:02 AM »
By the way, where can one obtain that CSA cookbook?  I'd love some creative veg recipes.  Veg are my Achilles heel.  Good idea on doing a recipe thread.  Are non-CSA-veggie recipes allowed? 

Watch your email box for next week's CSA newsletter for information on signing up for the group cookbook order!

Allowed? :) Well, it's not like anyone's going to stop you from posting a recipe for steak au poivre here... But I was thinking this would be a good place for people to suggest recipes for the current week's CSA haul...

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »
I'd love some creative veg recipes.  Veg are my Achilles heel. 

There is a wonderful book called "Chez Panisse Vegetables" which talks about....vegetables!  It's really wonderful, written by Alice Waters and with beautiful prints in it, and of course great recipes.  JD, if you want to borrow it for a little while, let me know.  For me, it's just an amazing book.  If it's not already evident, I consider Alice Waters to be one of the most important influences in my food life.  She and her work (Chez Panisse, Edible Schoolyard) inspire me.  Eating at Chez Panisse is one of the greatest food joys of my life, and always feels like I'm coming home to someplace really special.

[edit: why oh why do I still make the same grammatical errors I did in grad school??? :P]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:46:36 AM by megc »

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:05:17 AM »
amusingly enough, there is a recipe for rhubarb soup in todays NYTimes

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/07/dining/07mini.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
I made rhubarb muffins last night, and am planning a strawberry-rhubarb tart tonight.   

Saw a recipe for pork tenderloin with rhubarb-chutney earlier.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 12:43:30 PM »
You know how leeks are kinda whitish near the roots and get progressively greener?  Well, the usable part refers to anything below where the leek starts to kind of fan out and the stalk gets tough and really dark green.  Although, technically, that part is edible, it's just got an unpleasant texture (in my opinion). 

THANKS JD! And everyone else for the tips and cleaning techniques! I feel like I've got my very own Alton Brown available for all my basic questions.  :-D

I'm so impressed that you guys have already been cooking/making stuff with your CSA bounty. Last night, I just shoved everything in the fridge and ate cheese and strawberries for dinner.  :oops:  Ah the life of a young, overworked (lazy) singleton...

flooz

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 12:47:51 PM »
so is there anything other then rhubarb pie and the like? something not really deserty maybe? to have with my porkchops i have lined up for tonight? Or what about a side with the leeks instead? help me, im so new to these veggies!!!!!
and simple works best for us, we have very boring tastes...  :-D

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life