relax

Author Topic: Mama's Ice Cream & Ices  (Read 2899 times)

Offline hota e

• Illegal Alien
Mama's Ice Cream & Ices
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
Construction looks like it is coming along at a new ice cream and italian ice shop on 24th ave between 28th and 27th streets. Hoping they have some nice flavors in the Italian ices! Great for the summertime!

Astorians

Mama's Ice Cream & Ices
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »

Offline LHT

• Mayor
Re: Mama's Ice Cream & Ices
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
I walked past when they just started construction and very nice family ownership.  they were excited to be coming into the area. 

Offline 60decibels

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 11:29:26 PM »
I hope it works out for them! It's a good location for an ice cream shop with both the park and a school so close. We are getting a nice little set of businesses on that block.

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
We need a nice ice cream place.  I used to go to Hershey's which is now Subway.  There hasn't been a good ice cream place since Hershey's closed.

Offline johnny4evah!

• Running for Senate
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »
I'm old enough to remember a Carvell's on 31st Street, and in that spot before there was a Hershey's was a Baskin Robbins I believe. I'm looking forward to an ice cream shop on 24th. It'll be nice to buy an icy scoop of something after a slice of pizza from La Vita Mia.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »
Wasn't there a Carvel or similar shop pretty much right next to Bohemian Hall in the 70s?

Offline johnny4evah!

• Running for Senate
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:46:12 AM »
Hmmm...I'm stumped. I'll need a lifeline to answer that. Anyone?

Offline amanda13

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »
We live down the block and stopped by here tonight and we're so happy they're here. It's an adorable shop and the owners are very nice. They're very excited to be here. They're making their own Italian Ices and have tons of great, creative flavors. I've tried the Passion Fruit, the Spumone, the Mint Chocolate Chip and Pineapple and they were all awesome. Mint Chocolate Chip was really good though. They have ice cream with a lot of really cool flavors and soon they'll be making their own. That stretch of 24th Ave. is really getting great.

Offline johnny4evah!

• Running for Senate
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Glad to hear they have spumoni. That's my favorite flavor! With a name like "Mama's" I assume the prices are very nice too?

Offline Ratchetrn6

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »
The Carvel type ice cream shop on 24th Ave in the 70's was Perry's Delight! I was very young, but do remember it fondly!

We tried Mama's tonight. The owner was indeed very nice, letting us try whatever we wanted. He apologized for not being "ready" yet (no air conditioner, it was quite hot in there!). No pricing signs were up, etc. I tried the Spumoni ice and it was good. I'll have to try a few more flavors before I can give a better opinion! :)

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »

Offline CaGarce

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »
So happy this place is so close to my home. The ices are delicious. I'm officially addicted to the spumoni! My husband likes their ice cream.

Offline round2

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »
I'm looking forward to trying the ices too. I poked my head in for a second last week when I saw that they were now open, and was disappointed to see that their ice cream was Seduto's. I wasn't sure if it was realistic, but I'd hoped that they would be making their own. Harder to be excited about an ice cream shop that serves up something easily bought else where.

Is that true about Sedutto ice cream? Is it special?

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »
I'm looking forward to trying the ices too. I poked my head in for a second last week when I saw that they were now open, and was disappointed to see that their ice cream was Seduto's. I wasn't sure if it was realistic, but I'd hoped that they would be making their own. Harder to be excited about an ice cream shop that serves up something easily bought else where.

I doubt that most places make their own icecream in the shop.  Maybe some of them might make their own Italian ices like La Guli.  I think they sell Sedutto ice cream at La Guli and it's very good.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »

This is only a temporary situation. They'll be making their own ice cream. They will be making iced coffee from a mix, though (think General Foods International Coffees for inspiration).

I like Sedutto and think it's a fine commercial brand. That's what they serve at Igloo.

Offline braun

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »

This is only a temporary situation. They'll be making their own ice cream. They will be making iced coffee from a mix, though (think General Foods International Coffees for inspiration).

I like Sedutto and think it's a fine commercial brand. That's what they serve at Igloo.
Will they make their own ice cream at the shop?  How did you find out they will be making their own ice cream?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life