relax

Author Topic: Blu-ray AND HD DVD Players  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
Blu-ray AND HD DVD Players
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »
Does anybody have both a Blu-ray DVD player and an HD DVD player hooked up to the same HD tv?

I bought an HD player when both formats were a going concern.  There's nothing wrong with my HD player, and it upscales (or whatever the word is) regular DVD's, but some DVD's, playable in both types of player, have Blu-ray only content; and although I rarely buy any DVD's, I do think about going the Blu-ray way.  I wonder if anybody has seen any difference in Blu-ray vs. HD quality when playing DVD's.

Also, has anybody had any good experiences with Toshiba Blu-Ray players?  They get pretty good technical reviews and mostly awful customer reviews; then there's new models with no customer reviews and few technical reviews.  (I just have hopes of sticking to one tech company (Toshiba) in the hopes of being able to get compatibility answers.)   

Offline RayG

• Mayor
Re: Blu-ray AND HD DVD Players
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
If you have a 720p HDTV as opposed to a 1080, you might not see much of a difference. But a 1080 TV WILL have much better quality when viewing a Blu-Ray DVD. The 'normal' DVD player will upconvert the signal, but it does lose something in the conversion. If you're really interested in the BluRay features, there are several decent players for a lowish price. And newer TV's have multiple inputs (HDMI, BNC, DVI, etc...) so that shouldn't be a problem like the old days of A/B splitters and such.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
720p HDTV ... 1080, not see much of a difference...  upconvert the signal... BluRay features... newer TV's have multiple inputs ...

My tv is HD 1080 (it can also show other screen formats, though I'm not sure what I would use them for).

What I'm trying to compare is Blu-Ray and HD-DVD-up-convert quality.  I have an HD player, so even though HD DVD's aren't made anymore, the player up-converts standard DVD's.  It's this up-converted-ness that's the key issue.  I can connect up to two more players.

The more I think about it, I guess I'm answering my own question on the comparison - though I don't buy movies often, I'd be satisfied to buy most movies in the DVD format and up-convert.  What I'm mostly interested in buying, though is copies of scientific shows, such Nature and Nova.  And for that I guess it's worth it to buy them in Blu-Ray, rather than up-convert.

The question about other people plugging multiple player formats into the same tv had to do with it not making sense to compare the systems on different tv's, unless the two tv's are of the same exact model.

And I'm greatly concerned with Toshiba's Blu-Ray players getting great reviews by tech writers and lousy reviews by consumers who have actually used them.  I want to stick to the same electronic's company because I think I'd stand a slightly better chance of getting questions regarding the tv & player connection if both items are made by the same company.  Actually I'd have a better chance because I have the phone number of a higher-up, rather than just the low-levels who read the same manual I could look at.  Since I posted the question Toshiba has released a few more players, but as of yesterday I haven't found any tech reports on them yet.  I'm trying to calm myself down * and put off buying a player till I see some user ratings.

* I get all hyper every time PBS/Discovery/whatever sends me a message saying "20% off today only!".  I keep thinking it's now or never!  Then I get into the Blu-ray/DVD debate again.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
Dude just get a Blu Ray player from Costco and if you dont like it , return it for a full refund and then try another one . That simple /

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »
Matching brands would seem to be a good idea for the the reason you stated. But as you pointed out, the consumer side is less than kind, while 'experts' like it. Not exactly sure what the consumers are finding so bad- it could just be that the device is complicated enough to be a struggle for the average joe to get the best results. I did the brand match when we got our HDTV and BluRay- figured it would simplify connections and be easier to troubleshoot. And it was great, right up until Samsung decided to do a firmware update to the wifi enabled BluRay player that changed the way the signal was secured. It wouldn't allow WPA encryption anymore. The only way around it was to lessen the security of the wifi signal for every OTHER device in the house. No thanks- I bought a $5 HDMI cable from Amazon and hard wired it instead.

As I mentioned, any signal that is "upconverted" will NOT be a sharp or clear as a dedicated signal for HD or BluRay. The standards for connections also mean that you don't need to match brands for the TV and BluRay. HDMI is HDMI, DVI is DVI, etc...

For user review type stuff, check Consumer Reports if you are a member- they will post end user comments as well. As they state often in their reviews- Reviews across similar devices of brands are generally similar, so a model # that is off by a number or 2 will have similar performance. In the case of these types of devices, the newer ones may have a new feature, but will cost a bit more. Checking the previous model will mean a discounted price since they are trying to close out the old stock, and those should have plenty of user reviews on Amazon and such.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
Dude just get a Blu Ray player from Costco and if you dont like it , return it for a full refund and then try another one . That simple /

Just want to verify if it's me you're calling dude.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
.... Anyway, most complaints seems to be with the wifi connection to Netflix and other wifi services.  If you pause Netflix it seems you can't just go back to where you left off.  In fact, I think people are saying they have to not just reboot, but unplug and reboot.  Although one commercial site included Hulu in their list of services accessible by the latest Toshiba Blu-ray player, the official site does not list it, and people want their Hulu.

I'm not sure, but I think people are saying you can only see on the on-screen menu what's currently playing, not what else is next? previous? available?  Something like that, that sounded important.

My current HD cable box remote control has buttons that can light up, making it easy to find what you want on the remote in the dark.  Anything less than light-up ability seems medieval, or I should say, "dark ages".

I think people have said the Blu-ray players don't come with an HDMI cable.  Thanks to Toshiba customer service screwing up so much else, I already have one from them, free.

Pluses for Toshiba are good looking products, front and back.  Front looks good, back is tidy.  And matching or well-coordinated fronts of devices help keep room looking organized.

My Toshiba laptop takes a beating and keeps on ticking.  I don't think I've had trouble with any of my other Toshiba products.  It's customer service that's broken.

The most recent players are 3D/2D players.  I'm not planning on getting a 3D tv, but my living living room tv has a problem and my husband says it makes more financial sense to buy a new one.  I guess I could get he could get a 3D one for there.

I recently bought a copy of the Nature show Ocean Giants, after seeing it on every PBS station available in the New York area.  I guess I should just pop it in my HD player already and see how it looks while the crispness of the tv cablecast is still fresh in my mind. 

And considering the newest, though un-user reviewed Toshiba blu-ray player sells for as little as $109 with free shipping, maybe I should just place on order. 

But not just yet.

[size=78%]      [/size]

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life