relax

Author Topic: Thinking of Moving to Whitestone/Beechurst  (Read 4479 times)

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
Thinking of Moving to Whitestone/Beechurst
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
For about six years I have been living in the Garden Bay Manor complex in Upper Ditmars.  My friend is buying a coop in the Beechurst section of Whitestone and he has done a good job of convincing me to follow him.  I am now north of 40 years old and not a club goer although I do like to frequent the bars two or three times a month.  I also don't need to use the subway to go to work since I drive to my office in central Queens

Does anyone have any input on living there?  The complex has two pools and a gym and I would have a dedicated parking space rather than searching for 10 minutes when I get home after 9PM.  Upper Ditmars is a very nice area but you are still a 1 1/2 miles  from the subway and good food.    Although I like Upper Ditmars it is really not  living in Astoria.  I feel I am only going to be 15 minutes away from Astoria when I want to come back to eat or visit.  Am i missing something?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
Re: Thinking of Moving to Whitestone/Beechurst
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 01:53:41 AM »
Beechurst is a really nice area . Not sure how the real estate taxes work on Coops  but with houses , they are a big step up from Astoria .  I have many friends there and its alot more quiet than Astoria . I looked at some places there but in the end chose Astoria for now .  Public transportation totally sucks from Whitestone , no trains and to get to the city you have to take a bus to Flushing . Ughhh .  Think abt all those snowy days when your car is out of commision  and the highways are moving 2 mph .  Thats when the trains are needed the most .  Well another thing , if you dont need the trains now , why do you care that upper Ditmars is 1.5 miles away from the subway ?  The reason people do move to upper Ditmars is for the peace and quiet and to be away from all the noise of 30th ave and Broadway .  Now you might be a skip and a jump away from the nightlife scene here but Whitestone has almost zero nightlife . maybe a local irish pub here and there but nowhere near what Astoria has .   The pool and the gym sound great in Whitestone , but what are the maintainance charges and are they gonna go up every yr ?  My friends started at 400 and are now over 1000 while his gym is still that same little gym .  You can get a much cheaper gym for only 20 dollars a month outside .

In the end it all depends on what you feel , i do think those 15 mins coming into Astoria all depend on the time you do it .  It can take an hour to get to WS during rush hour , morning and afternoon  .    If you wanna travel those times be prepared .      Do you own here and plan to sell before buying there ?

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
I drive to work in Queens so getting to Manhattan during rush hour isn't important to me.  I would never take the bus to Main Street  when I do go to Manhattan I would take the express bus to the city.  The pool right under the bridge is very nice but the gym is only a slight perk for convenience.  You can't compare a full gym to a  free gym in an apartment complex.

I do like living in Upper Ditmars but the apartments in Garden Bay Manor are not to spacious, don't have parking or a terrace like the apartments in Beechurst.  Maintenance and cost of living goes up in most places you live whether it is an apartment a condo or a house.  The complex I am looking at raised the maintenance 2.5% last year.  Going to Whitestone during rush hour there is definitely traffic but I would always be traveling the opposite of rush hour.

I guess my tradeoff is larger space, parking, a terrace, two pools and a free gym instead of being closer to the restaurants in Astoria and Manhattan when I want to go there.

Offline Christine

• Governor
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »
Ed, we moved from Astoria to Flushing (just south of Whitestone) and we love it here. I do miss having a local chat board like this one though! Would really come in handy.

Anyway, we miss the restaurants most of all, but have found a handful of places around here that are excellent. Marino's Pizza on 164th (?), Graziella's Pizza on Francis Lewis, Mediterranian Diet Grill on Willets Point Blvd, not to mention a whole bunch of amazing Asian places along Northern Blvd.- something different.

We often go to the diners in Whitestone, where we always find a table (unlike, say, the Neptune, which was closest to me in Astoria, but packed on weekends.) You'll be right near Fort Totten and the park, with that cool greenway along the water that leads all the way to Northern, over to Alley Pond, connecting up with the Vanderbilt Motor Pkwy pedestrian path- the greenway goes all the way to the Botanical Gardens/Flushing Meadows Park. Fun for biking!

As for bars, we are either meeting my husband's friends in the city near where they all work (Times Square area) or we go to Bayside, where there's a million choices along Bell Blvd. Ditto restaurants- that's where you'll find decent Mexican food along with many other types. I often walk there from here. Don't forget the shopping plaza with the Barnes & Noble!

I'm curious where the express bus to the city is. We can walk to the LIRR pretty easily from here and get discounted tickets on weekends, but the bus also sounds good.
"Apparently these are the best women Queens has to offer. Now pick one and let's go home."

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Christine,

Thanks for the response.  Before i forget here is the express bus info  from Whitestone that goes into Manhattan.  Scroll down on the link and it lists all the stops.  In the late eighties/early nineties I took the LIRR  from both the Broadway and Auburndale stations so it is a great option and you are in Penn Station in less than 25 minutes.  North Flushing is a beautiful area and Bowne Park is a tranquil gem off the beaten path.

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm002cur.pdf.

I have been to the Marino's deli/meat market many times but never to the pizzeria so I will keep that in mind.  I also heard good things about the Mediterranean grill so I will keep that in mind.  If you have other recommendations I am all ears.

I am very excited about being a few blocks away from the greenway that runs from the west of Fort Totten along the Bayside Marina and further south.  It is a great biking/running /walking path.

Bell BLVD is a great bar option but I am still only 10-15 minutes away from 31st and the GCP in Astoria so i can go to any restaurant,  or bar in Astoria in a hop, skip and a jump.  Parking, quiet nights, a much larger space sold the deal for me.  I hope to move in July.

I love Astoria but the pricing, density, noise and lack of parking made me decide to move on.

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:12:19 AM »
You're going to be much closer to Cherry Valley Deli, which offers some of the best sandwiches that I've ever had in NYC. That's literally the only thing I know about Whitestone.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »
CherryValley is very good but we have the Sandwich King Sals here which is just as good or better

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 03:18:58 PM »
CherryValley is very good but we have the Sandwich King Sals here which is just as good or better

Those are two distinctly different types of sandwiches. It's like comparing apples and wrenches (although I suppose in this analogy oranges would actually be appropriate.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline astoriabot

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »

Yup. Even Andrew & Franks is better than CherryValley.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life