relax

Author Topic: Sales tax on Juice?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline AlexNYC

• Mayor
Sales tax on Juice?
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
Today I purchased a bottle of unsweetened cranberry juice from my local supermarket. I was surprised to see they charged me tax. I asked the persn at customer service if this was a mistake, ans she told me no, they do charge tax on juice. I know they charge on drinks such as sodas and icea teas, but I thought juices were considered a food. Have I just never noticed this before? Can someone tell me whether taxes on juice in NY is a fact and when it went into effect? Thanks.

Offline EddieStjohns

• Council Member
Re: Sales tax on Juice?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
If juice has less than 70% natural fruit juice it is taxable.  More than 70% it is not taxable.

Offline BoredTemp

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »

Offline AlexNYC

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »
Thanks Eddie and BoredTemp. The juice I purchased was 100% juice, so I should not have been taxed the approximately 9%. I had purchased this juice numerous times in the past, usually from health food stores but also from supermarkets, and I don't recall ever being taxed. While it's only 62 cents, it's just as much the principle as the money.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »
Hey Alex, I'm curious; what was the brand name etc. I only ask because the list BoredTemp provided seem to have some room for interpretation.....Like Cranberry Juice Cocktail is taxable.

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline AlexNYC

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:47 PM »
R.W. Knudsen - Just Cranberry. It's 100% juice, unsweetened.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:45:33 PM »
That seems pretty straight forward.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline replan

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
Since I too seem to have a bit of time on my hands, the answer may be here:

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/food_sold_by_food_stores.htm

About 2/3rds down the page you'll find:

Combinations of exempt food with a taxable item

When food that is exempt from tax is sold in combination with a taxable item for a single charge (such as cheese and a cutting board), the entire charge is subject to sales tax. Other examples are trail mix containing chocolate candy, and children's prepackaged lunches containing deli meat, crackers, and a candy bar sold for a single charge. Similarly, when food is sold in combination with heated food on plates or as meals for a single charge, the entire charge is taxable.

Seems like a pretty retarded rule.  So if I buy $100 worth of exempt groceries and then grab some gum at the checkout counter, the entire thing is taxable.

Offline AlexNYC

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »
That's very interesting, how non-taxable items purchased with a taxable items renders the entire purchase taxable.

I only bought two items, the cranberry juice and frozen spinach. Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill?

Offline BoredTemp

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »
Replan has it wrong.

If the two items are packaged as ONE (i.e. wrapped up together) then the rule applies.  Buying a container of juice and a box of deli meat which come in separate packages does not count.

Offline AlexNYC

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »
Yesterday I purchased the same cranberry juice, and again they charged me tax. This time I asked to speak to the manager, and I told him the NYS law on no tax on 100% unsweetened juice. He realized they were charging tax erroneously, and refunded the tax. I hope he takes the step to make this and other juices non-taxable items, because I'm going to be dilligent and hold them to it. Score one for the consumer.

Offline randall129

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
It's possible they are charging the tax and pocketing it. I've seen that done as smaller places where they might be able to get away with it. Good of the OP to bring it to the attention of both the store manager and the community.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life