relax

astorians.com to shut down -> Read more here

Author Topic: Francis Cafe  (Read 7255 times)

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Francis Cafe
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
It looks like the construction on this new place which is replacing 718 is complete.  I wonder why it's taking so long for them to open.  Does anybody know? :rolleyes:

Offline TJT

• Senator
Re: Francis Cafe
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »
It looked ready to open its doors last weekend.  This morning I was told it was covered in plywood.  Vandolism?  Change of plans?

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »
It looked ready to open its doors last weekend.  This morning I was told it was covered in plywood.  Vandolism?  Change of plans?

I'm sorry.  The person was confused.  It's the old Mezzo Mezzo that is covered in plywood.  Which is good news.  I'm excited for the new place to open there.  Francis Cafe seems ready to open any day now and looks great.

Offline lykourgos

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »
actually it has been weeks if not a month now that the place looks ready to open. I don't know if they are waiting for some building inspection or liquor license or what not.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
I can't believe this place didn't open yet.

Offline hommeDC

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
Seriously, it's looked ready to open for a few months now. It even looks like they have the taps installed for their beers. Around the corner they're opening a patisserie that they're still working on. Perhaps they're waiting on that to be finished?

Offline ImNotCrazy

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:31:59 PM »
From the We Heart Astoria blog:

Also of note: the nice woman behind the counter told me that neighboring restaurant/cafe Francis Cafe is not actually going to open. This long rumored about spot was recently sold by the owner and its fate is uncertain. Seems a pity considering the interior looks as if it is ready for opening.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
From the We Heart Astoria blog:

Also of note: the nice woman behind the counter told me that neighboring restaurant/cafe Francis Cafe is not actually going to open. This long rumored about spot was recently sold by the owner and its fate is uncertain. Seems a pity considering the interior looks as if it is ready for opening.

I think it's very strange that they went to a lot of trouble to fix this place up and now it's not going to open... weird!  It looks like they put a lot of money into the renovations, only to be wasted.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:15 AM »
I can't believe that would be wasted.  They are pretty much ready to open up for business.  I would hope the new owner would use the same business model and keep all the materials and decor that is already in place.  If the new owner were to gut renovate, it would be an outrage.

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
I heard yesterday that the new owner actually lives in France and has a boatload of money so opening the restaurant right away isn't his top priority.   

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
I heard yesterday that the new owner actually lives in France and has a boatload of money so opening the restaurant right away isn't his top priority.
  I'm happy for him.  How kind of him to give us the pleasure of looking at a dark, unopened business for weeks, months on end.  Nice to see how he cares about serving our community.  I have a feeling I will never set foot in the place.

Offline HeyBartender

• Tourist
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:25:33 PM »
Aaaaaaaaand, a year later, still not open......

Offline geo

• Campaigning for Council
  • The skies the limit.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »
Gossip is Benny formerly of 718 might get back....

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
That would be great!  I noticed this morning that the coffee place attached to it is now closed.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
Gossip is Benny formerly of 718 might get back....
I hope so. If it's true, I hope Benny is able to enjoy every cent of the money the wealthy foreign investor pumped into the place before letting it sit there with the doors locked.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life