relax

Author Topic: Thirty-Fifty apartments  (Read 5738 times)

Offline fs8456

• Tourist
Thirty-Fifty apartments
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »
Anyone know anything about these apartments on 30-50 21st street?

Astorians

Thirty-Fifty apartments
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »

Offline angela1969

• Activist
Re: Thirty-Fifty apartments
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
try checking them out with the department of buildings -- they will give you good information regarding everything  :cheesy:

Offline QueensLover80

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:25:07 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  Was this building made with any quality? Please let us know.  Thanks!!

Offline yippee1999

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »

I checked out an apt in this building last week and am strongly considering signing a lease.  So I can tell you what I think just from seeing the place....

This place seems to be very well made, and what struck me most is the attention to detail, which to me speaks volumes about the developer/builder.  Clearly this was not some cheap cookie-cutter building that went up.

It is very tastefully decorated.  Check out their website and see all the photos....

It has a small gym, an amazing roofdeck with BBQs, wetbar, lounge chairs and even an outdoor shower!  How many buildings do you know in this city that have nice roofdecks that include wetbars and outdoor showers?!

Each unit has its own Bosch washer/dryer.  The bathroom floors have ambient heating (or whatever it's called...heated floors).  There are lots of nice details here.

The only 'downside' is it's about a ten minute walk from the subway, and the street it's on is a bit too 'industrial' for my taste.  I also would prefer to be on the OTHER side (the East side) of 31st Street...it's more vibrant...but...I guess you can't have everything.

The rooftop views from this building are SPECTACULAR.  And if you get an apt on one of the higher floors facing Manhattan, again, awesome views.  AND the building is rent-stabilized!

http://www.thirty-fifty.com/amenities.html

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »
it sounds great but did you check out if you have to pay your own heating and water bill because if you do it will be costing you alot of money

Offline yippee1999

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »

I was told by the broker (who does seem very nice and honest unlike many other sleazy ones I come across)...I was told that the apts have PTAC units, which apparently heat and cool the apartment.  She said that since I work outside the home M-F 9-5 (and will therefore only want to heat/cool the place at night or on weekends), that I'd probably pay $100 per month or so...that she herself has a PTAC unit.

I do know that I generally don't like my apt too warm in the winter, and prefer NOT to use A/C in the Summer (I prefer open windows).  So I'm hoping it will really only be about $100 per month.  (I guess the PTAC runs on electricity, so it would all be part of the electric bill.)

As for the water, I just ASSUMED water would be included.  I've never heard of a rental where it was NOT included?  Nonetheless I will ask them that question just to be sure, and let you all know.  Tx!

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
just a reminder if you do decide to take the apartment try and get everything in writing and I mean everything what is included what is not included what needs to be fixed, etc. good luck

Offline yippee1999

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »

I asked and they said indeed water is included.  (I've never heard of water NOT being included in the rent....?)

Offline fs8456

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:21:33 PM »
It's pretty expensive though. Cheapest 1 bedroom was like $2100 which is a lot for astoria in my opinion.

Offline yippee1999

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »
Yeah, believe me...I am a bit sick about it...the cost of the rent (and for where I HAVE filled out an application to rent).  Right now I'm paying just $1500, so it will be almost $1000 more per month for me!  Ugh.  However, right now I live in Glendale/Ridgewood, Queens, which I can't STAND.  Very blue collar, close-minded people, nothing but 99 cent stores and fast food restaurants.  AND to get to work, I have to take a BUS (horrible having to wait late at night or in the cold), and then TWO trains, for an almost 50-60 minute commute.  And if I ever want a taxi home from my job in Times Square, forget about it.  I've had taxi doors locked on me, been kicked out mid-ride, been sworn etc., told that I don't know the best way to get to my own apartment etc..  Sure some drivers have been fine, but I've had more than my share of bad situations, all cuz many drivers simply don't want to drive all the way to Glendale.

In Astoria, I'll have no more problems if I want a taxi home.  (Plus I'll be less likely to need taxis home anyway, since the commute will be SO much easier.)  I already have three friends that currently live in Astoria, whereas in Glendale I didn't relate to anybody in the nabe, and my friends who lived elsewhere never wanted to visit (due to the horrible commute to get there).  From Astoria my commute to work will now be on ONE train line, and door to door it will be about 30 minutes each way.

I'll have more friends from other parts of Manhattan now more willing to visit me.  And then there's all those apartment amenities...a gym right there....washer/dryer IN the apartment....doorman...and an awesome roofdeck for BBQing and parties.  Oh I can already imagine the parties I'll be having.

But yeah, the high rent DOES make me a bit sick.  However I'm only looking at it as a temporary thing, as during my 18 month lease there I will start looking for a place to BUY.  And after being accustomed to paying almost $2400/month at this place, any mortgage I pay for a place to buy for around $550k will seem like a pittance (since I already have the 20% needed to put down).  I didn't buy right now though because I was more focused on just getting the hell out of Glendale/Ridgewood, and I didn't want to rush to buy a place.  So this way I can take my time....about a year or so...to find just the right place to buy...

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:00:55 PM »

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »
good luck in your search you should also try to look into Sunnyside queens too

Offline yippee1999

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »
Tx.  Yeah the only prob w/Sunnyside though is you have to rely on the 7 train, which is something I do not want to do.  So I will be focusing on either Astoria or else Jackson Hts. (since that too has many homes with yards, and has awesome subway access!)

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
remember jackson heghts is changing alot also -- but you can try

Offline rg

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 10:43:26 PM »
"Industrial" is an odd way to describe 21st street and 30th avenue.  There's not a single industrial thing about that area.

Offline yippee1999

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 10:28:56 PM »
Well I certainly wouldn't say that that part of 21st Street feels 'neighborhoody' or intimate or warm and fuzzy.  Located on a street with not just two, but four lanes of traffic?  And what's next to this apartment building...I think it was some kind of a metal supply company or something...I recall it had like a warehouse type entrance on 21st Street right near this apartment building's entrance.  I didn't see any 'neighborhood' shops on this part of the street...not one bodega, dry cleaner etc. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life