relax

Author Topic: Occupy Wall St. Donations  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Sweeper

• Mayor
Re: Occupy Wall St. Donations
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 09:08:40 AM »
Anyone who donated should ask for their donations back...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/17/ows-protesters-chant-follow-those-kids-as-small-children-try-to-go-to-school-on-wall-street/

I'm guessing it's not about undue influence on the economy anymore.

These people do not deserve an ODENHAL 2012 calendar

Offline alia

• Citizen
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »
Thank you for the reminder!

Yes, I am prepping food for the protestors tonight. Because of the nomadic nature of the protest at the moment (have you seen the Peoples Library in granny carts? Pretty awesome...), I'm switching to packed lunch style meals. So, peeled carrots, PB & J sandwiches, apples and baked potatoes for the vegan and the gluten free.

If you would like to help, PM me for my address/details.

Cheers,
alia

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »
Anyone who donated should ask for their donations back...

These people do not deserve an ODENHAL 2012 calendar

sadly Sweeper is right, ODENHAL would like ODENHAL'S calendars back, most are not deserving of them. notice ''most'' not all.

shame how the 99 0/0 doesnt include the homeless, ex-convicts , tea partiers, republicans, police, jews, ect, ect, ect,

how many can you exclude and still call yourself the 99 0/0

you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Offline alia

• Citizen
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
....Would you like me to respond, or will you claim that I am cherry picking or that my facts aren't true? Because I could dig up some choice tweets from OccupyJudaism and the beautiful pics of people dancing after Shabbat services...

...Or the story I read today about some Occupiers who met with some Tea Partiers... afterwards they went to the mall and got chocolate chip cookies...

...Since the people looking freaked out on Tuesday at Zuccotti park had just had all their worldly possessions taken by the cops, they were homeless... I didn't ask them if they were drug addicts, however, when I gave them the peanut butter sandwiches I had made....

...(Though one demured on sandwiches, paused and sort of guiltily said, "But have you got $2?" I looked at him and his friend, "For cigarettes?" I asked. "Yeah," he said, abashed. I fished two bucks out of my wallet, "I don't approve, but..."... So maybe he counts as an addict?)

...Yesterday a retired cop-- an ex-Captain from Philadelphia no less-- got arrested as an Occupier.

So I don't know where you are getting this idea that the Occupiers don't embrace Jews or Republicans or Tea Partiers or whatever... but the Occupied Kitchen doesn't require you to carry an ACLU card or to have taken a shower or even to care about the occupation. If you're hungry, they feed you. If you are hurting, they call a medic.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have carrots to peel. There are hungry people out there.

~alia

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »
....Would you like me to respond, or will you claim that I am cherry picking or that my facts aren't true? Because I could dig up some choice tweets from OccupyJudaism and the beautiful pics of people dancing after Shabbat services...

...Or the story I read today about some Occupiers who met with some Tea Partiers... afterwards they went to the mall and got chocolate chip cookies...

...Since the people looking freaked out on Tuesday at Zuccotti park had just had all their worldly possessions taken by the cops, they were homeless... I didn't ask them if they were drug addicts, however, when I gave them the peanut butter sandwiches I had made....

...(Though one demured on sandwiches, paused and sort of guiltily said, "But have you got $2?" I looked at him and his friend, "For cigarettes?" I asked. "Yeah," he said, abashed. I fished two bucks out of my wallet, "I don't approve, but..."... So maybe he counts as an addict?)

...Yesterday a retired cop-- an ex-Captain from Philadelphia no less-- got arrested as an Occupier.

So I don't know where you are getting this idea that the Occupiers don't embrace Jews or Republicans or Tea Partiers or whatever... but the Occupied Kitchen doesn't require you to carry an ACLU card or to have taken a shower or even to care about the occupation. If you're hungry, they feed you. If you are hurting, they call a medic.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have carrots to peel. There are hungry people out there.

~alia

alia, I commend you for both your restraint and your selflessness.

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
well isnt it true that the OWS kitchen staff protested , because they grew tierd of fixing food for the homeless and ex-cons, yes it is
guess that they are not part of the 99 0/0
or what of the EMS medic that got hurt , or the rushing of police barricades , or the problem of sexual assaults on women, defecating in doorways
least we forget that there was a OWS protester that shot himself  , or the shooting in Oakland, guess they do need guns to prove  ( as one astorian  posted ) our manhood
 protesting and chasing after children going to and from school  , they should be proud of themselves, we shoul all hold them up as hero's

you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Offline alia

• Citizen
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
You appear to have no room for other interpretations of the facts in your hand, so I don't know what to say... Except that I've been in touch with several members of the kitchen VOLUNTEERS (*not* staff... staff suggests they are getting paid or getting something besides warm fuzzies for the very hard work they are doing) and they didn't stop feeding people.

I don't know what EMS medic got hurt. I've seen pics and video of Scott Olsen and Kayvan Sabehgi, both ex-Marines and Iraq vets get attacked by armed and armored cops hard enough the required surgery. Tuesday, I talked with a medic whose hands were shaking as he talked about how the NYPD took a chainsaw to the medic tent while there were doctors and a patient inside.

Re: the problem of sexual assaults on women, suicides, etc-- Um, you do know that women get assaulted everywhere, right? And a vet kills himself every 80 minutes? (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057061/One-U-S-veteran-attempts-suicide-80-minutes-Hidden-tragedy-Afghanistan-Iraq-wars.html) Doesn't matter if they are sleeping out in the open or at home. Bad s___ happens.

What I have found heroic is how the community of Occupiers band around and support victims in a way that I have not seen in the general population. Even here, in this thread that is ostensibly about how to help people who are hungry and hurting, most of the action seems to be people tearing the hurt people down and/or mocking those who want to help.

Just about any of your concerns I can say, "Yeah, well, the 99% contains douchebags, too"... Whether they are in the park or online, people are people.

Cheers,
alia

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
Yesterday they were trying to stop people from going to work, blocking buildings, and even considered stopping trains.  They incite cops, then wail like banshees   "WHY!!! WHY AM I BEING ARRESTED??""     Yesterday one protester threw a  liquid in cops eyes, and they block some photographers from taking pics that are not favorable to them.  So what, out of all the veterans in country, a couple showed up--so what? 

Offline alia

• Citizen
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
1) Did not try to stop trains. "Occupy the Subways" was planned as a storytelling exercise-- people met at big stations, shared their stories about how the economic system had hurt them-- and then rode the subways to continue to share their stories.

2) I don't know anything about liquid thrown. I will look for that. Did you know about, "When students covered their eyes with their clothing, police forced open their mouths and pepper-sprayed down their throats. Several of these students were hospitalized. Others are seriously injured. One of them, forty-five minutes after being pepper-sprayed down his throat, was still coughing up blood." ? From http://studentactivism.net/2011/11/19/police-brutality-and-lies-at-uc-davis/ ...Let's educate each other.

3) So what: Out of all the people in the city, only 32,000 marched across the Brooklyn Bridge Thursday night. So what? Why are 32,000 people important? Why is one person important? That's only one hungry belly, one hurting heart, one oppressed spirit. Yeah, why are we being arrested for saying we're hungry for justice? Shouting that we are in pain? Demanding that people look up from their shiny shoes and see the pain that the system they are working within is screwing the people outside it?

I know that a moderator has said to keep this on-topic, so Again, I will try:

https://donate.firedoglake.com/weatherize/contribute?rc=gearwidg&recip1=2297&amount1=20&recip2=1961&amount2=0

for warm, American-made gear

http://alia.chipin.com/mypages/

for buying more peanut butter and jelly

My house, next Friday night, for prepping vegetables to feed the occupiers.

Cheers,
alia

Offline alia

• Citizen
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
oops, sorry, I forgot that my last chip-in had ended. Here's a new one, if you feel moved to support your local occupation:

http://alia.chipin.com/ows-food

Cheers,
alia

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2011, 10:53:26 PM »
Here  is one of many article about substance, believed to be vinegar mixed with something else, tossed at police.

http://www.nydailynews.com/2.1353/occupy-wall-street-protester-arrested-tossing-vinegar-based-liquid-cops-article-1.979238?localLinksEnabled=false

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life