relax

Author Topic: Commitee to Defeat Vallone  (Read 6036 times)

Offline holyfrjole

• Council Member
Re: Commitee to Defeat Vallone
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
I've lived here all my life and I can't stand Vallone. He goes on the most ridiculous crusades against some things, while letting other things that have a much greater impact on the immediate neighborhood go unaddressed. He can be blamed, in part, for the uptick in crime since the 114 has lost a great number of officers. Why isn't he pushing to increase staffing?

The real turn off for me, though, was when he was all over the news, ranting about some guy who tossed his mail in a public trash can, without knowing anything more about the situation -- maybe the guy was cleaning out his car, maybe he was reading his mail on a nearby bench and decided to toss the junk before heading home, who knows? But IIRC, he resorted to juvenile name calling to describe a constituent -- extremely unprofessional and made him look like a total ass. Astoria has much bigger issues than one old guy tossing his mail in a trash can, but Vallone went after the guy like he was public enemy no. 1.

Offline ThisSideofSteinway

• Tourist
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:43 AM »
Not to mention his crusade to protect us from a second-tier sitcom...

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »
The guy is a councilman, so his reach is really not that far. He can't create laws, but can really only take care of small problems.

I am not sure where to find it, but I would like to see his voting record in City Council to see what he has been for and against...because the City Council passes some pretty dumb legislation.

Otherwise, a good councilman is measured by what they accomplish for the average person. When I have lived in other towns, when I wrote to or called my councilman, things got done. My problems, no matter how small, were fixed. Lights in a park, curb damage, various unsafe conditions.

So does Vallone handle that stuff? I really don't know. I know that he push community watch programs pretty hard which I like. Otherwise I haven't interacted with his office much.

But if you don't like what Astoria is "becoming" because hipsters are here, then that isn't his fault, and you probably have to just get over the fact that this is an important neighborhood that will grow and change whether you like it or not. Crime isn't his fault...it's on the rise everywhere. If you complain about crime then I expect you are involved with the Community Watch program and playing your own part as well, right?
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »
Vallone is not running anyway, yet people want to start committee to defeat him?   

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life