relax

Author Topic: This increasingly strange America  (Read 1165 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
This increasingly strange America
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:37:23 PM »
I don't get into politics here very often, but I do have my concerns about what's going on in this country, and how civil liberties are being constantly and regularly eroded.   I do not like the idea of being tracked, and the collecting of phone calls disturbs me.  The acceptance of warrantless wiretapping blows me away - how is this even possible???  Makes me feel like I'm living in Bizarroland.  I've heard the argument, "if you don't have anything to hide, then what are you worried about?"  I've been harrassed by the side of the road by law enforcement who accused me of hiding things, illegal things, when I wasn't, and using that line.  It infuriated me and made me feel, for lack of a better word, helpless (yes, they searched us after threatening us).  I'll never forget that experience.

I thought this was a good article.  Here's an excerpt:

Sacrifice Liberty For Security? Not Without a Fight
by Jay Bookman

This is supposed to be America, the land of the free and the home of the brave.

But I'm beginning to have my doubts, about the free part and the brave part, too.

This America, this increasingly strange America, is looking more and more like the land of the cowed and the home of the silent.

In this America, we have a military agency, the National Security Agency, secretly tracking and analyzing every phone call or e-mail that is sent or received by hundreds of millions of American citizens, with records of all of those calls retained forever.

And in this America, millions and millions of people profess to be quite comfortable living under a government that wants to know who every one of us is talking to, and has the technology to realize that ambition.

It will keep us safe, some Americans have responded. Only those with something to hide should be worried, others have said.

But then again, we all have something to hide, don't we? My something may be different than your something, but we all have something we would rather keep to ourselves — the things we read or watch, the things we do or think or buy, the people we talk with or the Web sites we visit. . . .

More, here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 05:39:44 PM by megc »

Gatorboy

Re: This increasingly strange America
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 06:08:36 PM »
This America, this increasingly strange America, is looking more and more like the land of the cowed and the home of the silent.
Unquote

You got that right. Outrage for stuff we have no control over in national level ....

and silence on local issues ....

well, back to LOTR!!!

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
or they kill you Re: This increasingly strange America
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 04:16:05 PM »

http://www.nh.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060501/NHM01/60501005

While all this is certainly serious, I do wonder if you really want those who are keeping

McPhee in the contest also helping to choose your social policies?

( a tricky question by the way )

Should we welcome when democracy would be as close as your LOTR remote control button?
Please tell us that the good guys win.

"One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
( power will make you mad ; consider many of our current / future leaders )
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:32:21 PM »
from earlier:

"
ADVOCATES know the ropes. They are attuned to the subtle plays of politics and diplomacy. They can speak the languages of the adversary and the ally and have mastered the tools of coalition building. Many advocates began as ACTIVISTS, who create change by rallying enough people to their side of an issue so that the world finally sways in that direction. To draw a crowd takes noise. To keep one requires drama and passion. Every activist is at heart an AGITATOR, someone willing to put herself on the line for a principle. A person who is willing to stir the pot and defy convention must be someone who doesn’t mind getting herself shaken up for a worthy cause. "
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 08:46:37 AM »
"Every activist is at heart an AGITATOR, someone willing to put herself on the line for a principle. A person who is willing to stir the pot and defy convention must be someone who doesn’t mind getting herself shaken up for a worthy cause."

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life