relax

Author Topic: Is Broadway the border betweeen Astoria and LIC?  (Read 9334 times)

Offline noel877

• Tourist
    • Sinsilyo
Re: Is Broadway the border betweeen Astoria and LIC?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
"Old Astoria" is in the 27th Ave and 1st Street area. I think almost everyone agree that from this point, around 30th Ave all the way up to Ditmars area, it is clearly Astoria.

I think most would agree though that Astoria and LIC borders on 34th Ave. but I think Real estate agents always extend Astoria borders around 36th Ave.

Offline James Maxx

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Its 34th Avenue.  Please don't listen to Real Estate Agents they just use Astoria or LIC depending what the clients like.  Newer people prefer LIC because its more hip.  Astoria is more traditional/old school.

I lived in Astoria all my life and prior to the 1990s you would never hear anyone say, Long Island City.  Even as far out as 39th Avenue.  When gentrification came in and the street hookers disappeared, LIC became cool.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:14:06 AM »
                                 -1 Class point for spray-painted phone number. +3 Class points for all barbers in baby-blue-and-red uniforms. On 30th Ave.

This photo (from the Astoria Ugly website) proves 30th Ave is in Long Island City.

And I've proven Astoria/LIC is wherever you think it is.

Offline sweetdreamsnyc

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »
years ago I lived on 47th and Broadway..some utility bills came addressed to me in LIC and some in Astoria

Same thing now.. in the lower 30's between 30 and 31st Ave..some utilities say LIC some Astoria

I think this is because many moons ago(lol) queens was just broken up into big parts.. Jamaica, flushing or LIC ..something like that anyway ;)

Offline lic-mensch

• Tourist
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 09:01:13 AM »
I've lived in 11101 for 35 years, and had the same mailman for the first 20, he always said the border was 34th ave according to his postal training of the 1970's.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life