relax

Author Topic: Your N and Q Subway ride to Manhattan (approaching Queens Brough Plaza)  (Read 6663 times)

Offline QueensJay

• Tourist
If you're either looking to supplement your Great Adventures theme park rush or just looking to make a few extra hundred thousand...look no further. Your ride to work could be the deal breaker. Ever experience a ride into Manhattan on the N or Q as you approach Queen Borough Plaza (after leaving 39th Avenue)?!! For some reason, the motorman confuses the subway track with the Indy 500 track and manages to take that sharp turn on the left side of the wheels while the right side are air borne. No different than a kid chasing the Ice Cream truck around the corner on his bike with bent training wheels making a sharp turn.
If you are new to the ride, you could easily slide off your chair, hang from a pole like a curtain, or simply bust your caboose! Really, seriously, you should join me and contact the station manager for your Astoria stop and press this liability ($$$) concern.  :shocked:

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
If you're either looking to supplement your Great Adventures theme park rush or just looking to make a few extra hundred thousand...look no further. Your ride to work could be the deal breaker. Ever experience a ride into Manhattan on the N or Q as you approach Queen Borough Plaza (after leaving 39th Avenue)?!! For some reason, the motorman confuses the subway track with the Indy 500 track and manages to take that sharp turn on the left side of the wheels while the right side are air borne. No different than a kid chasing the Ice Cream truck around the corner on his bike with bent training wheels making a sharp turn.
If you are new to the ride, you could easily slide off your chair, hang from a pole like a curtain, or simply bust your caboose! Really, seriously, you should join me and contact the station manager for your Astoria stop and press this liability ($$$) concern.  :shocked:

um... what?

Offline Picasso

• Council Member
That turn is the best part of the ride! Best when you're in the last car too.
No trains have fallen from the tracks so no need to get litigious.
Ride in the middle if you can't handle it.

Offline okkichan

• Mayor
So, you're saying you want the trains to go SLOWER?  :laugh:

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
This has actually been concerning me lately too. It wasn't always like that, and it's worse for people who are at the rear of the train (which is where I ride when going to work). The train slows down while the front is going around the bend, and then it speeds into Queensboro Plaza, whipping the back of the train along with it. To me it seems like bad programming, assuming there's some sort of computer controlling the train's speed at different times. (Or bad driving, if not.)

People laugh at your post, but every morning when we go around that turn the people standing up are jerked around, and the people sitting down dig their feet into the floor to keep from sliding off the bench. It's kind of wiggy for an elevated train, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is damaging the rails, especially with how loudly the thing squeals as this is happening.

Offline QueensJay

• Tourist
  • um... what?
    Um..what ..nothing!

No trains have fallen from the tracks so no need to get litigious.
    Of course….why worry now?!  Thanks for the insight (although that’s not the concern).

Ride in the middle if you can't handle it.
    I do wheelies and endos on my sport bike…but I also wear a helmet and protective gear.

So, you're saying you want the trains to go SLOWER?
    You’re right, I guess there is NO MEDIUM! I know I drop it down a notch when I take sharp curves with my bike. Heck I even scrape my knee pads.

Next topic…Graffiti. I’m seeing a lot in Astoria!

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
I've had a few of those scary rides and they are simultaneously an enjoyable thrill and cause for panic. 

Offline SmazenySyr

• Resident
Yeah--I don't think riders should feel like they're going to fly across the car on that turn. It's not just at the end of the train, either.

Straphangers recommends calling Carmen Bianco, SVP, Dept. of Subways: http://www.straphangers.org/complaints.html#serviceconditions

Offline okkichan

• Mayor

• So, you're saying you want the trains to go SLOWER?
    You’re right, I guess there is NO MEDIUM! I know I drop it down a notch when I take sharp curves with my bike. Heck I even scrape my knee pads.

Chillax, see that laughing emoticon after my post? It is meant to indicate that it's a joke. Sounds like contacting this person at the Dept of Subways is the way to go. Good luck.

Offline QueensJay

• Tourist
Back at you okkichan ... :smiley:

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
I take that train all the time, it never bothered me. maybe some are not used to elevated subway ?   

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
It's when the train goes r e a l  s l o w and leans that it's scariest.  Or did they fix that a few years ago?

Offline Clearview

• Council Member
Chillax, see that laughing emoticon after my post? It is meant to indicate that it's a joke. Sounds like contacting this person at the Dept of Subways is the way to go. Good luck.

The Department of Subways does not even exist

Offline okkichan

• Mayor
The Department of Subways does not even exist

I pulled that from this post just above:

Straphangers recommends calling Carmen Bianco, SVP, Dept. of Subways: http://www.straphangers.org/complaints.html#serviceconditions

If you click that link you'll see:

Carmen Bianco
Senior Vice President, Department of Subways
2 Broadway
New York, NY 10004
Phone: (646) 252-5860
Fax: (646) 252-5870

And if you do some Googling you will find this notice dated Feb 26, 2010 announcing her position as Senior VP of Dept of Subways
http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?agency=nyct&en=100226-NYCT34

In conclusion: Yes, the Dept of Subways most certainly does exists.

Offline Clearview

• Council Member
Department of Subways is the pen name of many Subway departments such as
Rapid Transit Operations
Department of Station Operations
Department of Car Equipment
Department of Signals
etc etc etc

Keep in mind I was a transit worker for forty years

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life