relax

Author Topic: BED BUGS................ PETE............... MANAGER 2414 21ST STREET ASTORIA  (Read 4879 times)

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
2414 21 Street,  Astoria, NY 11102

My life has become a nightmare! I moved to NY from California a couple of months ago and my life has been changed forever. The first or second night I moved in with roommates, I noticed little bugs crawling on my computer. My lights were off and window was open, so I figured they were just little bugs that naturally come through the screen in the summer. It never dawned on me initially that these were the SCOURGE that is BED BUGS!! The irony is that when I lived in Cali and would see the horror reports of infestations in New York... I would pray that would NEVER touch my life or my children's...............flash forward and I am now living my worst nightmare come true!!

Approximately a week after I noticed these bugs, I became ill. I thought it was the flu because I had a fever & aches and pains.......general flu symptoms, which I now understand can be attributed to the initial bites from bed bugs. Shortly thereafter, I developed welts/bites with a red center..... in a linear pattern.............. it still didn't dawn on me that these were bed bugs. I showed them to roommates who looked sad but knowing, but never said these could be bed bugs. She said they were probably mosquitoes and her mother first agreed and then said it was probably chicken poxs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Having worked in the medical profession............. I knew this wasn't possible as I had already had chicken pox as a child and that none of the symptoms were indicative of this. I had a light bulb go off and AH HA moment telling me the joke was on me and everyone else was in on it................ they just didn't choose to share it with me.

Now... you must understand I am a clean and neat freak by nature................. this COMPLETELY freaked me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course research made it evident to me that this was a bed bug infestation......... uggggggggggggggggg. I don't think I will ever feel clean again!!!!!!

To backtrack a bit, before I realized what was going on, I continued to sleep in this bed.... and SURPRISE SURPRISE.... the bites multiplied. I at this point was depressed, crying and beside myself. I came from California and I had never even SEEN a bedbug much less lived with one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this point I went to an emergency room and took a few of the "bagged bugs" with me. Of course................ my worst fears were confirmed:(!!!!!  I was treated like a leper to begin with............. sitting in the ER waiting room.........people stared at me and moved away from me. When I was called back for my vitals.... one of the nurses yelled at me... "Don't touch anything and don't sit in that chair"!!!..... to which she proceeded to get a sheet and put on the chair before I could sit down..............POINT TAKEN!!!!!!! She paraded me back............. ahead of everyone else........... to the Head of Er.... who looked at my bites.....the bugs in my bag and concluded (along with another ER nurse) that these were bed bug bites.................. CAN YOU SAY HUMILIATION????!!!!!!!! Because they didn't want me to have contact with anyone else.... they took me back to another part of the ER..... another sheet was placed on a chair and I was made to wait for the ER Dr. to bring prescriptions, advice, etc........ of course by this time, I was the "Main Act" ....if you will??????..... people were asking to be moved away from me............. I didn't blame them.............. the Dr. came out with prescriptions including a course of antibiotics..... anti itch medication both oral and topical.... etc......... I continued on to the pharmacy to the tune of money I couldn't afford...... FLASH FORWARD A FEW DAYS............. I let my roommates know.... who still insisted they weren't bed bugs and didn't want to tell the manager of the building due to other issues they were having............... ultimately...........the manager was told and OF COURSE..... he argued with me and HUMILIATED ME all over again INSISTING .................... these weren't bed bugs EVEN THOUGH I told him of the Drs. diagnosis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............... and thus MY NIGHTMARE INTENSIFIED............ I was being called on the carpet and questioned like I was the bad guy.................. are you kidding me??????????????????? still being questioned as to the legitimacy of my diagnosis and being made to feel like this was all in my head EXCEPT.......................... I had physical proof and tons of pics to the tune of 50 or more...............of my bed, bites etc etc etc................the manager then tried to put the blame on me....asking if I lived in motels............. I explained, I came from my CLEAN apartment in Los Angeles, California and I had never even seen a bed bug. He then tried to say the bugs weren't bed bugs............despite what the Drs. said...............  long story short..........he admitted as well as a roommate that, they had a history of bed bugs in the room I was staying in. The landlord said he sprayed once a couple of years ago.......WHAT??????????????? even I, as a lay person, knows this isn't something that can be eradicated with one treatment!!!!!!!! At that point I decided to take my own action. I stripped the bed to a white sheet and monitored it over the next 3 days.................. hundreds of bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW WHO IS CRAZY??????????????? I am now on my second course of antibiotics, have been sleeping in my sons room upright in a chair for the last 2 weeks......and the landlord has said I have to leave giving some LAME excuse...................... No one wants to accept responsibility for this!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want me to leave so they don't have to deal with this but I have clothes, papers, etc etc etc that have been contaminated................I WANT JUSTICE..... I DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to know who the owner of this building is????????????? Regardless of what the outcome is for me............... I don't want ANYONE else to have to go through this. I moved from California and am now about to be homeless because they don't want to deal with this issue. When I asked how they can live with themselves not telling other tenants in this building............. I get no answer.............. someone should have to answer for this............ I want and need compensation for this SCOURGE they inflicted upon me............. People knew of this problem but didn't see fit to tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEWARE..................DON'T MOVE IN TO 2414 21ST STREET unless you want BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:49:06 AM by daisy »

Offline daisy

• President
NYC has specific laws regarding eradication of bed bugs by your landlord.  He is required to get the place completely exterminated and in the proper way for bed bugs.  He is also required to pay for it.   Here is some information regarding the laws and who to report him to:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/bedbugs/html/info/owners_tenants.shtml

I feel your pain.  I have been in the same situation and had to inform my landlords of the law before they would take any action.  But I also knew that the whole building was infested and i could not count on my neighbors to report or allow full extermination.  It was the end of my lease and I moved out.  But it was a nightmare.  Here is a thread on bed bugs in Astoria.  It explains on how to get rid of them, etc.  It's hard but doable.

If I were you, I would contact the proper authorities, and take steps to move out.  I would also take every precaution to make sure you don't bring them with you.  Since he did not properly inform you of the bed bugs, I believe you may have a right to get your rent and your security back - failure to disclose history is also an offense.

Good luck.  I will also amend your posts to read the proper address.  - mod

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
Thank you so much for all of the great information!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline metallica

• Activist
Owner is as follows:

Current OwnerNameCaporaso PeterAddress24-14 21 STREETCity state zipAstoria NY 11102[/font][/size][/b][/font][/color]

Offline The Greek

• Citizen
  • Life-long Astorian
Tell Peter Caporaso to spray his building or you will have the city vacate his entire building for him. For good.

If he doesn't like that, tell him the Astorians are going to kick his ass. The Greeks alone will show him a thing or two for treating a fellow Astorian this way.

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
Thanks so much lol!! I knew Pete was the manager but didn't realize he is the owner as well!!

Offline hellgate19

• Campaigning for Council
I hope you saved some specimens and got it in writing that you have bed bugs from your doctor. If I were you, I would bypass anymore conversations and forward the matter on to the city. I believe you have grounds to sue as well in case you need to replace your proeprty. If he refused treatment of the building which is illgeal, you may entitled to damages.

You should also post a warning in the real estate section of Craiglist

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
Thank you so much. I will!!

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
I've done nothing wrong so I'm not going to let these people get away with this. Obviously I am moving out because this place is CRAWLING with BEDBUGS and I'm not going to stay here ............... as well as they have told me to leave because I stirred the pot so to speak. I'm going to find an attorney but my immediate need is that I want to know if any of you out there know how to decontaminate items????? I have lots of paperwork, pictures and clothes. I have heard that heat and cold temps freeze them but it has to be done properly. Do you know of any companies that provide this service? Thank you!!!!

Offline hellgate19

• Campaigning for Council
http://www.sternenvironmental.com/bedbugs/services.php

It took a housefire to get rid of mine, but I hear these folks are excellent.

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
thanks so much!!!!!!! you guys are all great. i have been in such despair and i'm being treated like a leper even though these people did this to ME...................................... i appreciate your sympathy, empathy and great tips!!!! xo

Offline masonicboom

• Citizen

Not sure if this is the only one, but be sure to update the bed bug registry so potential tenants will know what to avoid.

http://www.bedbugregistry.com/metro/nyc/

I survived a beg bug infestation about 5 years ago here in Astoria.  It was nightmarish, indeed.  We moved out of the bedrooms into the living room for weeks.  That is until we found the little suckers ON THE COUCH.  But calking up the baseboards, powdering the hell out of the area, and a whole lot of laundering DID work.  My peace of mind returned and I've been able to sleep soundly for years now.  Do I still look for evidence of them?  Hell yes.  Every single day.

Offline sddelacerna

• Tourist
Thank you so much for you kind words and advice. I'm so distraught not sure what I'm going to do. I feel alone here in NY and wish I had NEVER left California. I came here for a better life and more opportunities but feel completely taken advantage of and blind sided by owner Pete Caparoso and tenant and lease holder Madeline Thompson. All Maddie cared about was having another $350 a month from me. She perpetrates that she was only trying to "HELP" me!!!! Yeah right. That kind of help I don't need.... it's like putting a gun in my mouth and pulling the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pete says she was well aware there were bed bugs in the room I was rented and even though she denied it..... he says YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She told me the guy who was in that room before I was had his mattress zipped in bed bug proof casing and she had bed bug spray but of course........................ she says that's what all NYers do!!!!!!!!!............................. No denying that but I moved to NY from Cali and was so stupid and naive!!!!!! She has bites that look like mine but she tried to say they are MOSQUITOES................WRONG.............................ER Dr. looked at my bites and the  bugs I had ziplocked in a bag and said they are BED BUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never even thought about bed bugs and am DISGUSTED that she didn't tell me what I was walking in to!!!!! She is a hoarder.............saving cans, jars etc.................. I am going to SUE both of them. I don't think ANYONE should have this SCOURGE put upon them!!!!!! I will do WHATEVER it takes to make sure these 2 people can't harm ANYONE else and that all of the NEIGHBORS are aware of what they are trying to hide!!!!

Offline bejessie

• Activist
    • from my rent controlled apt in Astoria Queens
WHAT? This is horrible and Im so sorry you are going through it. First of all they are obligated to let you know of an infestationw within a one year time frame. Its AGAINST the LAW for them not to. Second, bedbugs are considered a healthcode violation and your landlord is REQUIRED to treat the problem. Not just your unit, but all units in the building.

In the meantime, take a deep breathe. Yes this sucks. BUT its not the end of the world. I promise you that even though it feels like it is, it isnt. There is an end to this and you will one day again sleep through the night.

I would first take all of your clothing and wash it all in hot water and keep it in a large zip bag. Get rid of your mattress and frame and box spring. If you cannot do that right now, I would cover the bed in a bedbug proof cover and tape over the zipped side. This will prevent any bugs from going in or coming out. I know. gross. But.. Isolate the bed. meaning, keep it away from the walls or anything else. On each leg, get small dishes and I would put vaseline on the legs of the bed and leave the dishes full of baby powder or water. This will help prevent more buggies from coming onto your bed.

Your vaccum cleaner is your friend as is a steamer. You want as much as you can isolated before you can move. So if your clothes are not all being worn, I would get them washed, dried on high heat for an hour and put in zip bags and in storage if possible. I dont know if you moved furniture here but if you are renting a room just a bedroom set is a small loss compared to possibly bringing them with you.

Not all of NY is this crappy and I am sorry this happened to you. UGH. What a nightmare.

There is a budbug forum on the web that super helpful. Google bedbugger forum and you will find it.

Im so sorry you are going through this. I had a bedbug scare not once but twice. I moved to an apartment that was infested on a friday and moved out that sunday wheN I realized that the place had an infestation. I was so pissed at the landlord I called him crying asking why he didnt tell me. I also explained that he was required by LAW to tell me of an infestation within a year and I also put the building and apartment unit on the bedbug registry. I also put in a formal complaint against the building management. Seriously this guy could get in deep crap for not disclosing to you as can the lady you are renting the room from. I didnt end up bringing them back to my apartment I moved back into, but yes all of my mattresses are in casings and I was SUPER diligent. I was up all hours of the night with flashlights and spray. EVERYTHING I had was steam cleaned and washed. The one thing I learned was stuff is just that.. stuff. Yes its awful yes its frustrating. But in the end I feel like I really did learn a valuable lesson from it all. After something like this you are never the same and going forward you will know what to look for if you rent another place. There are all kinds of bedbug searches and I hope you will put this place on the bedbug registry online. 

Hang in there and Pete if you are reading this, you are a total DICK!

Offline bejessie

• Activist
    • from my rent controlled apt in Astoria Queens
Also regarding picture frames, shoes, etc.

Yes there are services that will put all of yoru stuff in this truck and heat the crap out of it. Look on that bedbugger forum I referenced. What I did with stuff like that was I unpacked any small items in the bathtub. shaking them out and spraying them as I went. I threw out SO MANY BOOKS. Which was awful. But the ones I kept Were double tied in garbage bags that were sprayed and kept in storage for 18 months. Shoes were washed in high heat and dried. The ones I couldnt do that to were sprayed with a hairdryer at high heat settings and put into clear bags that were then put into storage bins.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life