relax

Author Topic: Vallone's Funding Cut  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Picasso

• Council Member
Vallone's Funding Cut
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:30:57 AM »
From today's NY Post:
  City Councilman Peter Vallone (D-Queens) got that message when Council Speaker Christine Quinn slashed his annual discretionary funding -- a move widely seen as punishment for his vehement opposition to renaming the Queensboro Bridge in honor of the former mayor.
 Vallone saw a 42 percent drop in district earmarks -- from more than $1.4 million last year to $838,321 in the budget that took effect last week.
  By comparison, the overall discretionary budget dipped by only 2.3 percent --from $395 million to $386 million.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Re: Vallone's Funding Cut
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »
Wow!
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
Good for Vallone for opposing the renaming of the Queensboro. Koch's name has nothing to do with that bridge and it's irritating that they slapped his name on there. Not to mention sounding ugly as hell and painfully verbose. Just... ugh. I support a lot of Christine Quinn's decision normally, but in this case she was dead wrong about the renaming of the bridge. WTF? It still bugs me today like it did when I first heard about this insanity.

The Post is not a reliable newspaper (and I'm generous in using that term to describe that rag), so it wouldn't surprise me if the conjecture inside is used to stir things up. Who knows why funding was cut, but I find it regretful that Astoria is going to lose some $$$. I wonder how this will affect things around town...

Offline Clearview

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
Good for Vallone for opposing the renaming of the Queensboro. Koch's name has nothing to do with that bridge and it's irritating that they slapped his name on there. Not to mention sounding ugly as hell and painfully verbose. Just... ugh. I support a lot of Christine Quinn's decision normally, but in this case she was dead wrong about the renaming of the bridge. WTF? It still bugs me today like it did when I first heard about this insanity.

The Post is not a reliable newspaper (and I'm generous in using that term to describe that rag), so it wouldn't surprise me if the conjecture inside is used to stir things up. Who knows why funding was cut, but I find it regretful that Astoria is going to lose some $$$. I wonder how this will affect things around town...

its the best paper in the world

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:14:42 PM »
its the best paper in the world

LOL

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:39:03 AM »
How can she be allowed to get away with something so vindictive and wrong? Punishing him and this district for not going along with bridge name, which almost everyone thought was waste of money and a dumb idea?     

Is Valone able to fight the budget slash?  Bloomberg is damn ruthless too, he's like a dictator. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life