relax

Author Topic: Commute to the Bronx  (Read 1773 times)

Offline bertrand

• Tourist
Commute to the Bronx
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »
Hi all,

I'm from Europe (Belgium) and  will soon move to New York with my wife and kid to work in the Albert Einstein College of Medecine in the Bronx (Peham Pwky)

I visited NY a couple of times and found Astoria to be my favorite place to live. I've already search this forum and found some useful information but I still have some questions:

-Considering that with MTA (metro or bus M-60) it takes around 1 hour to get to my work place, is it faster (on average) to go there by car?
 -if yes, which bridge (Triboro, Whitestone) is the less congested in the corresponding direction (Astoria->Bronx in the morning, Bronx->Astoria in the evening)
 - is it easy to find a place to park a car on the streets of Astoria?

-is it a bad idea to live in Astoria  when I could live somewhere in the Bronx and avoid commuting?

Thanks in advance,

Bertrand

Astorians

Commute to the Bronx
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:25:08 AM »

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
Re: Commute to the Bronx
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:08:44 AM »
From Astoria, I think your quickest route would be by car, otherwise, you'll be heading into manhattan and heading uptown on a combination of busses and trains. Looking up the location on the map, I've taken the m60 to the 4 and made it to the Yankee stadium stop in about 35 minutes when I catch the connections right, you'll have a little walk from Yankee Stadium, but my commute via train to midtown is 40 minutes on average, so I don't think that the m60 to the 4 would be the worst commute ever.
That said, I went over the triboro (or RFK) bridge to the GWB twice last week and I was into the Bronx in about 30 minutes both times from 44th St. Based on Google Maps, you're close to the Major Deegan, which connects directly to the Triboro, so overall your commute out shouldn't be that bad. Coming back, I can't really speak to, as I was coming back in the early afternoon, but I'd assume that the traffic is heavier in the evening.
I'm sure that someone here can speak to living in the bronx, and there are lots of parking complaints, but hopefully this helps.

kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
Commuting over the Whitestone isn't that bad.  I commuted via car from Astoria to Morris Park/Pelham Parkway for three years and it isn't a bad drive, though when the bridge has congestion it can get a bit slow at spots. 

Offline QMC

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
I made virtually the same commute when I was teaching at SUNY Maritime.

You've actually got three bridges-RFK, Whitestone, and Throg's Neck.  Generally, the Whitestone is the best option, but it behooves one to check traffic reports prior to leaving the house in the morning.

If you are thinking about living in the Bronx, check out the Throg's Neck/Locust Point area. 
There is no such thing as a stupid question
There are, however, many inquisitive idiots :)

Offline rg

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
I did a driving commute from Astoria to Fordham for 4 years.  It took me about 20 minutes door to door.  It's a really quick drive. 

I'm usually an advocate of public transportation, but there's really nothing good from Queens to the Bronx unless you want to spend hours on the bus or trains.

Keep in mind that driving will be the most expensive proposition.  The tolls on the Triboro RFK Bridge are $6.50 each way and then you have gas.  There is some kind of discount for using an EZ Pass but I don't even know what that is anymore. 

You definitely want to get an EZ pass if you'll be driving. The waits for the cash lines are out of control. 

Offline metallica

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »
There is some kind of discount for using an EZ Pass but I don't even know what that is anymore. 

$4.80

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life