relax

Author Topic: Marriage Equality Vote possible this week  (Read 10008 times)

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
Re: Marriage Equality Vote possible this week
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 01:18:59 AM »
That is some definitive s___ right there.  Care to explain?

I explained.  YOU explain.   If it had been voted on by public, it would not have passed.  That's why they snuck it by this way. 

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »
That's not necessarily true, Joey C.  There have been a number of recent polls that have shown a majority of New Yorkers actually do support gay marriage, here's the Quinnipiac one:  http://www.scribd.com/doc/56921853/060211-Ny-Issues-Bp.  The bill passed because it's about fairness and equality, and there are enough religious protections packed within that those arguments ring hollow as well.  If the church doesn't want to marry a gay couple, they don't have to.  Case closed.  There are plenty of heterosexual couples who have no business getting married but they do every day, and the church doesn't object.  A gay couple who love and respect each other have just as much right to marriage and the benefits that gives as heterosexuals do.  Besides, even if a majority of people believed in discrimination, it doesn't make it right. 

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147662/First-Time-Majority-Americans-Favor-Legal-Gay-Marriage.aspx

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »
It's not discrimination.  Homosexuals don't ride back of bus, get denied jobs, or lie in poverty cause they are homosexuals.    It was changing marriage definition to appease a small group with money that is organized.   And Cuomo going in direction he sees as  beneficial to himself. 

Same sex adoption is worse.  What if a heterosexual couple into bondage want to adopt?   They may nit be gay, but some guy who want to be dressed in  a baby bonnet and diapers, have an apple stuffed in his mouth,  then whipped by a woman in a rubber suit is not normal.   Same for homosexuals.   Both should be private. 

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
LOL!  Post of the year.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 03:13:10 PM »
It's not discrimination.

Same sex adoption is worse.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.

Why do you think they were "in the closet" if they weren't threatened with loss of job, loss of prestige, LOSS OF LIFE?

Neither a heterosexual or homosexual couple known to have interests that would be detrimental to a child would not be permitted to adopt.  Some people have had their own biological children taken away by the courts for that reason. 

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
It's not discrimination.  Homosexuals don't ride back of bus, get denied jobs, or lie in poverty cause they are homosexuals.   

In any state/jurisdiction that doesn't have antidiscriminatory laws, someone can be easily fired or be evicted from their apartment just for being gay.  You may think we all have it nice and cushy because we live in NYC, but it's still not great for gay people in rural areas, the Deep South, etc.

And guess what--we ain't all rich either.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 12:59:20 AM »
Show me a story of someone being evicted for being gay. 

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 01:02:21 AM »

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/discrimination
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.

Why do you think they were "in the closet" if they weren't threatened with loss of job, loss of prestige, LOSS OF LIFE?

Neither a heterosexual or homosexual couple known to have interests that would be detrimental to a child would not be permitted to adopt.  Some people have had their own biological children taken away by the courts for that reason. 

They were not so much in closet as they were keeping sex life private, just as hetro couples should do.     How can their biological kids be taken from them?  Do you mean one person got custody cause other was gay?   That is different totally than what you said.
Meanwhile adoption by homosexual couple is wrong to me and most others.  Has always been. 

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 01:10:08 AM »
adoption by homosexual couple is wrong to me and most others.  Has always been.

Do you also think adoption by single parents, like Sandra Bullock, is wrong?

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 02:03:04 AM »
It depends.  Can they take care of child, do they have a family, or are they rich enough, like her to have help?
Most important, are they sane, and well grounded.  I don't think Sandra Bullock is crazy, but she seems stupid.    Rich and stupid.  So she gets a kid over someone who may be more qualified.  I don't think a homosexual singe person should adopt kid, if that is what you were getting at.   Or a religious freak,  a leather and chains freak,  people who are crazy about politics one way or another--I mean to the right of Rush Limbaugh or left of  Nancy Pelosi.     In fact those last two should not be allowed to adopt.     Too extreme on politics, just my opinion.

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 06:07:47 AM »
I've started 3 different replies, and I'm just going to post this, Joey C, you are misinformed, most of NY State, aside from a good part of the the pseudo midwesterners that inhabit various parts of upstate New York (go Syracuse!), and senior citizens don't agree with the vote.
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/28/q-poll-ny-voters-back-gay-marriage-bill-52-40/
If you want to stomp around citing things that destroy the sanctity of marriage, speak out against divorce, since that's much more damaging than whining about people who, you know, love each other.
And every family has at least one gay member, whether you realize it or not, your antiquated rhetoric may be hurting someone you care about, and I hope you've stopped to think about that.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
Show me a story of someone being evicted for being gay.
I don't have time to dredge through the Internet to look for something so that you can turn around and refute it with something else.  Online debates like this, where one is protected by anonymity and not actually engaging with a person face-to-face, are way too one-sided.

I don't know why y'all seem to think that somehow LGBT people are now a privileged class, when we're only now just getting the same rights as everyone else.  The hard truth is that for the most part, the majority and those who hold the power to make laws (whoever/whatever that is) will always discriminate against the minority (whoever/whatever that is: black, disabled, etc.) unless forced to through laws or whatever. 

And if you insist, this comes from Brigham Young University, of all places:
http://www.byupoliticalreview.com/?p=99103

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »
I've started 3 different replies, and I'm just going to post this, Joey C, you are misinformed, most of NY State, aside from a good part of the the pseudo midwesterners that inhabit various parts of upstate New York (go Syracuse!), and senior citizens don't agree with the vote.
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/28/q-poll-ny-voters-back-gay-marriage-bill-52-40/
If you want to stomp around citing things that destroy the sanctity of marriage, speak out against divorce, since that's much more damaging than whining about people who, you know, love each other.
And every family has at least one gay member, whether you realize it or not, your antiquated rhetoric may be hurting someone you care about, and I hope you've stopped to think about that.

You believe polls? I believe people. It would not pass a vote.   Pollsters are tricky.   As for divorce, do you want to force people to stay married?   

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
It depends.  Can they take care of child, do they have a family, or are they rich enough, like her to have help?
Most important, are they sane, and well grounded.  I

I know many gay couples that would meet that standard. So why single us out.....Oh wait, we have sex in rubbers suits.....or some silliness like that.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
What if a heterosexual couple into bondage want to adopt?   They may nit be gay, but some guy who want to be dressed in  a baby bonnet and diapers, have an apple stuffed in his mouth,  then whipped by a woman in a rubber suit is not normal.   Same for homosexuals.   Both should be private.

Wow....your vision of my sex life is much more interesting that reality......

:::: goes out to buy a baby bonnet :::::::
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life