relax

Author Topic: Marriage Equality Vote possible this week  (Read 10358 times)

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Marriage Equality Vote possible this week
« on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
It seems the winds are moving to passage.

First off, we know what will happen in the Assembly.

In the Senate though, things are moving this week.

Concerning the Dems

Three wavering Democratic lawmakers in the State Senate have agreed to support legislation legalizing same-sex marriage in New York, several people with knowledge of the negotiations said on Monday, marking a potential turning point for the long-debated measure. The three senators — Joseph P. Addabbo Jr. and Shirley L. Huntley of Queens and Carl Kruger of Brooklyn — all voted against the measure in 2009, when it failed by a wide margin. Their switch to the yes column leaves all but one Senate Democrat supporting same-sex marriage quote]

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/strategy-session-called-on-gay-marriage-bill/?smid=tw-nytimes

Suprisingly, concerning the GOP.....this from the NY Post.....It's from Albany Insider Fred Dicker....so someone that has his ear to the ground and a reporter that gets the scoop (for those suprised that I am quoting the Post)

Seven or more Senate Republicans have signaled Gov. Cuomo that they're ready to legalize same-sex marriage, more than enough to put the controversial and historic measure over the top this week, The Post has learned. A highly knowledgeable Senate insider said yesterday that "far more of the [GOP] members are in play than anyone realizes, including some surprising names from conservative upstate areas." Among the unexpected potential Senate Republican "yes" votes, insiders say, are Kemp Hannon of Nassau County, Charles Fuscillo of Suffolk County, Betty Little of Glens Falls, Andrew Lanza of Staten Island, Greg Ball of Putnam County, James Alesi of Rochester, and Roy McDonald of Rensselaer County -- all of whom helped defeat gay marriage when the vote was held in December 2009.quote]

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/gop_swings_both_ways_on_gay_marriage_TukBh0X15jkHPNdJZWxQMJ#ixzz1PAdH3KYl

I think one thing to remember that the defeat of Marriage Equality in 2009 is theorized by some the the defeat of the bill started with the no vote of Sen Addabbo. Once he cast his vote that way, not a single Goper voted yes.

For those against this and maybe wanting to post that the people should have a vote(which they do by electing their politicians).....the current polling stands as.....

58% for
36% against
6% undecided

New York is ready, as a whole, for this change.

It's time to do it.......

But, I'll be on the edge of my seat until it happens.

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
Re: Marriage Equality Vote possible this week
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
All the Democrats but Rev. Diaz and two Republicans on board, so far.  Great news - hoping for more Republicans to come on board today and the Republican conference to allow the bill to come to the floor.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:41 PM »
IT PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Wow, I am now a full citizen........

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!! 

I'm a very proud New Yorker tonight.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:58 PM »
Yay, congratulations to everyone! So happy to be a NY resident right now.

Offline Mark

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »
A great day in New York history!

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
It really is wonderful news, and such a nice Pride weekend gift!

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:45:10 AM »

Congratulations to everyone who will be getting married!

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »
Should never have passed. Gay adoption is worse.  The senators who changed votes under pressure are a disgrace. 

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »
 :shocked:

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »
:shocked:

At least he's honest in how he feels.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »
Should never have passed. Gay adoption is worse.  The senators who changed votes under pressure are a disgrace.

You have a right to your opinion, but I would ask you and anyone else who shares your opinion to consider this:

No one can get into another person's head and read their mind.  Since you don't know what a gay couple planning to get married is thinking, isn't there the possibility that they are feeling true love?  And if it is true love, should there not be a way for this couple to record legally what the relationship is?  Should they not have a way to protect each other in matters typically associated with a personal union - joint banking, medical coverage, life insurance, the right to take responsibility to speak for the other person's needs if one of them is medically incapacitated, the right to stay in their home if one of them passes away?  Has it not been shown that many loving gay parents went into heterosexual marriage because they did not recognize or would not be accepted for their true sexuality, and have they not stayed loving parents when they came out?

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »

That is some definitive s___ right there.  Care to explain?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life