relax

Author Topic: What's that smell??  (Read 11230 times)

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
Re: What's that smell??
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 02:27:37 PM »
http://www.qgazette.com/news/2006/0517/features/006.html

A DEP spokesman said the stench resulted from a fire at the Berrian Boulevard plant last November that damaged one of the boilers, which has to be repaired. The

necessary parts have been delivered to the plant, but the repair job isn't expected to be completed until next month.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Astorians

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 02:27:37 PM »

Offline Mark

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »
I hope they get this squared away before the summer heat gets here.  That could be really smelly.    :-o

exwife

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 09:57:38 PM »
"""It smells like 20 dogs took a dump in my yard," said [mod], 35, ..." maybe he is smelling himself...i should know! LOL thats my ex! :roll: & lazininess contributes to why the 3 yr old doesn't go outside.  anyway ,

It really does smell though and it's not only the plant it is the people that dont clean the streets , the store owners and there nasty dumpsters ..the bird crap cause all of the greeks keep feeding them souvlakis on a stick..oh yeah  & i know that stench when you get off the train on Ditmars .. ewww ,gross

I grew up in Astoria and left in 2002 ..Thank Goodness ..it was the best when i was a kid ..but it is digusting now!   I grew up right up the block from 5 corners deli(roccos)& Astoria Park .. i probably know Astoria better than most of you   ...oh yeah and --no smells by where i used to live!   Worked in Laguli's when i was 14(my first job) I Went to Immaculate Conception ..its closed now.   
APS Ruled!    (Astoria Park South Gang)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 11:45:43 PM by merm »

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2006, 09:23:37 AM »
Well, as said elsewhere, Astoria has the dirtiest streets in Queens (according to stats published by the mayor's office) but when we try to discuss it here conversations shift to ... bakery smells!!

So you were promised that the sewage plant 'problem' would be solved --  was the problem taken care of? 

Hey, maybe its Donald Rumsfeld's fault. Money spent in Iraq instead of Astoria's infrastructure (despite the great efforts by our local elected officials to keep our taxes stateside.) :x

« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:28:59 AM by Gleason »

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 12:15:16 PM »
So you were promised that the sewage plant 'problem' would be solved --  was the problem taken care of? 

Although I sympathize with the well-trained reflex to negative-nod anything Gleason says, I'm actually curious about this one... I don't have a good sense of smell, so I can't actually tell myself...

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 02:34:39 PM »
I still smell the sewage pretty regularly. It gets worse late at night.. not sure why that would be, but it is something I've noticed. Every few nights I have to burn candles in my room just to get rid of the sewage smell.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »
I rarely smell it, and even when it was really bad this summer, I remember the smell only a couple times.  Maybe I'm just lucky.   :roll:

Offline daisy

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 11:41:23 AM »
Gross.   I went running this morning and it smelled as if the gods had taken a huge dump in the river.  Sorry to be so graphic, but it was so nasty.  Yech.  I could smell it all the way to 27th St from the park.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 01:40:38 PM »
Gross.   I went running this morning and it smelled as if the gods had taken a huge dump in the river.  Sorry to be so graphic, but it was so nasty.  Yech.  I could smell it all the way to 27th St from the park.

Yeah.  As I was riding my bike from the park today, I could smell it too.  I guess the sewage treatment plant decided to take the day off.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline luchamos

• Activist
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »
There are all different smells. Coming from the East River is the odor of warm garbage from the sanitation switching point on Randall's (or is it Ward's?) Island.  Coming from the area by the Elm-Jac little league fields near Rikers is the sewage stank.  And of course, coming from Con Ed, the smell of bullshit.

Astorians

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »
Let's face it - we live in a toxic environment.  We are all toxic from fumes, the foods we eat, the water we drink etc.  We have turned the world into a toxic waste dump!

Offline Pawgny

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2007, 07:55:54 PM »
I grew up here my entire Life & don't smell anything.  I guess my sense of smell has adapted to my environment......lol
But what I do know, the river gives off an oder when it's at low tide.  People who live closer to the park are prob. smelling that.

:mrgreen:

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2007, 08:52:30 AM »
But what I do know, the river gives off an oder when it's at low tide.

True - coming from a coastal home, I know that smell of which Pawgny speaks.  It can be pretty rank.  But, at least it's natural.  :D

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »
the river gives off an oder when it's at low tide.

True - coming from a coastal home, I know that smell of which Pawgny speaks.  It can be pretty rank.  But, at least it's natural.  :D

I grew up near LI Sound, and know the low tide smell. Is it bad that I kinda like it? Reminds me of summer.

There is a definite other STANK though sometimes.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline daisy

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 12:08:31 PM »
I'm confused here.  What does low tide smell like and what does it come from?  What I smell is - for lack of a better word - poop.  Now I know poop is natural, but I'm not sure if that's what Megc meant, and if it's what low tide smells like.  Is the smell "poop" because of low tide, or does low tide just smell like poop but it's not poop?

I smelled it this morning too, and if I have to smell this every morning, I don't know if I want to run anymore.  It's nauseating.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life