relax

Author Topic: Good gyms in Astoria?  (Read 11429 times)

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
Re: Good gyms in Astoria?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
A lot of needles going on at bqe fitness. I saw two in one week there. One in the lockers and the other on the steps going inside

You should be more careful.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
Im always carefull and thats why i saw those needles on the floor . I dont shower there so im not barefoot but plenty of others do .

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
I was making a joke about the anabolically enhanced avatar you use.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
All natural bro . You can believe what you like but in reality haters  make me even more proud to be drug free

Offline beansiegal

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »
The Rock is a great gym in every way.  They often have sales.  For example, I bought a year's membership during a sale for $63 a month and it has stayed at that price for two years now.  I think the individual pay-by-month pice is around $90+.  I also think they post their prices and packages on their website; check it out.  If you can lock in a good price, I think you get everything at the Rock and they're open 24/7.

Agreed on the sales front.  I got in during 2010 at $59 a month and can keep that rate as long as I hold the membership.  $59 honestly isn't bad.  Most places in Manhattan want more, though you can occasionally get cheaper with super long commitments. 

I generally like The Rock.  However, the lack of pool/hot tub sucks.  The customer service sucks.  But my biggest complaint is how they advertised 24/7 hours when I signed up and then changed the hours on the weekends.  And then in the summer, they close an hour earlier and post it NOWHERE.  I guess that is in line with bad customer service, but it borders on dishonesty. 

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 10:31:04 AM »
I don't care if people juice, but needles left around like that is a major concern.

Why at the gym though? I don't think injections need to be made so immediately before or after a workout that you need to do that at the gym.

I don't use the locker rooms at BQE anyway. I wear shorts and a t-shirt every day, no matter what the weather (boots if it's snowing), and I wear it from my house to there. Health concerns are a part of why I do this, not to mention concerns about theft, adding to my prep time, and my lack of desire to see old man sack all over. Yamma Hamma it's fright night!
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Offline Tightan

• Tourist
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
Hello neighbors, or soon to be. I'm moving from Manhattan to Astoria with my GF in June. Looking for a good gym in the area. I don't mean a sweaty little room full of guys in spandex. I mean a modern gym with new equipment. I've heard of the Rock near Ditmars and the new Tightan (used to be Dolphin?), but I have read mixed reviews on-line. I have emailed both and asked for rates, but have gotten ZERO replies.
Can anyone give me the scoop on the best gym(s) in the area?

Thanks all, JF

Please revisit Tightan, our reviewson yelp are good

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tightan-fitness-astoria-2

Check out our updates: www.tightan.com

and for a faster response email tightangymastoria@gmail.com

Offline AJames

• Tourist
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
Has anyone been to Blink yet? Any reviews on that place?

I just moved here and want to join a gym. I also want to get a personal trainer but an affordable one. Blink offers $27 a session with trainers which is fantastic but the reviews seem to be mixed. I really would rather not pay more than $50 if possible. I would use the gym every work day around 6:30 and the weekends whenever so it would be nice if the place wasn't super crowded. Any suggestions?

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »
A woman at my gym joined Blink because of the cheap price and it's closer proximity to her home.

She says it's ok. Equipment is all very good, staff is friendly, helpful.

But she said that if weights/strength training are a priority, it's not the greatest. They mainly have machines,
not any free weights or plate-loaded machines.

I don't anyone else who belongs to Blink so I'm going on one person's comments. You might want to check their
reviews on Yelp - people tend to be more detailed there.

I belong to Life Health & Fitness on 35 Ave. & 37th Street. It's open 24-hours Monday to Friday and at 7 a.m. on
weekends. They have good trainers and the rates are reasonable - in fact I think it's within your price range.

It doesn't hurt to check out a couple of clubs just to make sure you get the right fit.

Website is http://www.lifehealth-fitness.com/ if you want to check it out.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life