relax

Author Topic: Good gyms in Astoria?  (Read 11845 times)

Offline JasonF

• Tourist
Good gyms in Astoria?
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
Hello neighbors, or soon to be. I'm moving from Manhattan to Astoria with my GF in June. Looking for a good gym in the area. I don't mean a sweaty little room full of guys in spandex. I mean a modern gym with new equipment. I've heard of the Rock near Ditmars and the new Tightan (used to be Dolphin?), but I have read mixed reviews on-line. I have emailed both and asked for rates, but have gotten ZERO replies.
Can anyone give me the scoop on the best gym(s) in the area?

Thanks all, JF

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Good gyms in Astoria?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:05:46 PM »
I really liked The Rock when I could afford it.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
If money isnt an object then the Rock would be your best bet . But theres another gym in the shopping plaza on 47th and Ditmars called The Matrix which is also very good and a little cheaper in price .  Planet Fitness on steinway is dirt cheap but i dont think its for the serious lifter  because they lack alot of equipment and dont have many free weights .   If lifting isnt your main thing , you should check PF out .

Offline rene0226

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »
The Rock is a great gym in every way.  They often have sales.  For example, I bought a year's membership during a sale for $63 a month and it has stayed at that price for two years now.  I think the individual pay-by-month pice is around $90+.  I also think they post their prices and packages on their website; check it out.  If you can lock in a good price, I think you get everything at the Rock and they're open 24/7.
Truth is one, Paths are many

Offline liddlemar

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »
planet fitness on steinway between 30th and 31st avenue ... 10$ a month still I believe

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
You won't get an answer from the Rock  -- they don't even answer their member's e-mails.

But it really depends on where you'll be living. I'm assuming you won't want to travel too far to a gym.

Personally, I've been a member of the Rock for five years and I'm leaving in 2 weeks. I've been paying for my membership
in cash for a few years to avoid credit card charges. I know that the rate a couple of my friends there pay averages about $75 to
$78 a month. They do run specials sometimes in the fall though.

It's not worth the money though. It's become very run down, equipment stays broken for months and not as clean as it used to be.
And other members can say I'm wrong, but I'm there 6 days/week so I think I know that when I have to clean hair out of the shower
every Sunday morning and one bathroom stall door has been broken since Memorial Day, it's not worth being the most expensive gym in the
area.

I have a couple of friends at Club Fitness on B'way. They love it. I'm joining Life-Health Fitness on 35 Avenue. They're open 24 hours Monday-Friday. Good equipment, well run and very clean. And much less $$$ than the Rock. I've heard mixed reviews on NY Sports Club.

Why don't you stop in to the ones you're interested in and get guest passes? They'll usually give you a two or three day pass. I know the Rock does do that. Try them out and see where you're comfortable.

One thing I know about Tightan is that it's very small. I do my laundry near it and it's tiny. And the hours are not great if you want to go early
in the morning before work. They don't open till 7 a.m. during the week. At least that was on the sign when I saw it earlier this summer.

But try places out before paying anything so you don't wastes your $$$.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
FYI  -the Rock is NOT open 24/7. It's open 24 hours Monday morning through Friday night. Weekends it's 7 a.m. to 8:00 during the summer.

Just posting this in case that's a deal breaker. It's also something they never tell new members. I always meet people who show up a little
before 7 on Sat. mornings wondering why it's not open.

Offline TinyTats211

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:23:17 AM »
Club fitness on broadway is awesome! it's clean and modern the staff is very helpful and friendly and its just a few steps away from the train. It does however depend on where you live. Another option is NYSC if that's something you may already be familiar with from the city there is one on steinway and 30th ave. It's pretty good, although very crowded during morning and evening hours on the weekdays.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
I've been a member of The Matrix now for about a year, and I like it.  In the past, I was a member of the Rock for several years, so I have a point of comparison.  The Matrix is cheaper.  It is more no frills The Rock, and I like that.  They've been doing some renovations and equipment upgrades in the past year, and they've got plenty of machines in good condition.  The weight room is pretty well stocked.  They've got a variety of classes, although I have never taken any, and they offer all sorts of trainer options - private, semi-private, and small group, the latter of which I've done and I think it's a good value.  They have a certified sports massage therapist on staff, I believe.

If you go to their website, you can print out a 14 day pass to try it before joining.

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »
I joined Life Health & Fitness at the Kaufman Studios in August and am very happy with it. Great staff, new equipment that's well-maintained, very clean. Open 24-hours during the week too. Good trainers as well and a variety of classes. Plus the price is excellent and they have different payment options depending on your needs.
Location - 37th St. & 35th Ave.

Offline Tightan

• Tourist
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
Hello neighbors, or soon to be. I'm moving from Manhattan to Astoria with my GF in June. Looking for a good gym in the area. I don't mean a sweaty little room full of guys in spandex. I mean a modern gym with new equipment. I've heard of the Rock near Ditmars and the new Tightan (used to be Dolphin?), but I have read mixed reviews on-line. I have emailed both and asked for rates, but have gotten ZERO replies.

Thanks all, JF

I would consider Tightan Fitness . They have a 25 down 25 pr month deal happening now.

tightan.com/membership

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »
BQE (Ultimate Fitness Center) has 25/month with 0 down.
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »
I replied to this thread earlier - see above - but I can update my response a little.

I belong to Life Health & Fitness on 37th Street just off 35 Avenue. Great gym, very clean, nice staff, good equipment and
excellent hours. Rates are very good too. You can pay monthly, annually or even for just 6 months.

I know Tightan because I do my laundry next door to it. It seems very small to me even though I know they have an upstairs
level. And the hours - for me anyway - aren't good. They don't open till 6 a.m. - most gyms in this area are either 24-hour
or open by 5 a.m.

A new one is opening on Steinway St. right near Broadway called Blink. It's owned by Equinox and is opening in December.

I belonged to the Rock for 5 years and do not recommend it. It's overpriced and overrated.

There are also lots of smaller specialized fitness studios and gyms now in Astoria/Long Island City.

I take pilates classes at Tone on 37th & B'way. Excellent studio which offers pilates (mat and reformer classes) along with
classes in Surfset. There are also places like Simply Fit Astoria, Cross Fit and a lot of yoga studios.

You should go on Yelp and look at gyms/fitness in Astoria. You'll also get real opinions about them.

Whatever you do, don't sign up anywhere right away. Be a fitness tourist and try a few places. They all give passes
or have intro specials (Tone has a 3-class newbie special for $30). Explore and see what you like.

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
ladydi is right. BQE is a PERFECT gym for me in many ways, but my exercise habits, goals and requirements are going to be different than yours and the next guy. I'd think about the things that you want from a gym in order of priority and then sample a few and see which meets that.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
A lot of needles going on at bqe fitness. I saw two in one week there. One in the lockers and the other on the steps going inside

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
A lot of needles going on at bqe fitness. I saw two in one week there. One in the lockers and the other on the steps going inside

You should be more careful.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
Im always carefull and thats why i saw those needles on the floor . I dont shower there so im not barefoot but plenty of others do .

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
I was making a joke about the anabolically enhanced avatar you use.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
All natural bro . You can believe what you like but in reality haters  make me even more proud to be drug free

Offline beansiegal

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »
The Rock is a great gym in every way.  They often have sales.  For example, I bought a year's membership during a sale for $63 a month and it has stayed at that price for two years now.  I think the individual pay-by-month pice is around $90+.  I also think they post their prices and packages on their website; check it out.  If you can lock in a good price, I think you get everything at the Rock and they're open 24/7.

Agreed on the sales front.  I got in during 2010 at $59 a month and can keep that rate as long as I hold the membership.  $59 honestly isn't bad.  Most places in Manhattan want more, though you can occasionally get cheaper with super long commitments. 

I generally like The Rock.  However, the lack of pool/hot tub sucks.  The customer service sucks.  But my biggest complaint is how they advertised 24/7 hours when I signed up and then changed the hours on the weekends.  And then in the summer, they close an hour earlier and post it NOWHERE.  I guess that is in line with bad customer service, but it borders on dishonesty. 

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 10:31:04 AM »
I don't care if people juice, but needles left around like that is a major concern.

Why at the gym though? I don't think injections need to be made so immediately before or after a workout that you need to do that at the gym.

I don't use the locker rooms at BQE anyway. I wear shorts and a t-shirt every day, no matter what the weather (boots if it's snowing), and I wear it from my house to there. Health concerns are a part of why I do this, not to mention concerns about theft, adding to my prep time, and my lack of desire to see old man sack all over. Yamma Hamma it's fright night!

Offline Tightan

• Tourist
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »

Thanks all, JF

Please revisit Tightan, our reviewson yelp are good

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tightan-fitness-astoria-2

Check out our updates: www.tightan.com

and for a faster response email tightangymastoria@gmail.com

Offline AJames

• Tourist
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
Has anyone been to Blink yet? Any reviews on that place?

I just moved here and want to join a gym. I also want to get a personal trainer but an affordable one. Blink offers $27 a session with trainers which is fantastic but the reviews seem to be mixed. I really would rather not pay more than $50 if possible. I would use the gym every work day around 6:30 and the weekends whenever so it would be nice if the place wasn't super crowded. Any suggestions?

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »
A woman at my gym joined Blink because of the cheap price and it's closer proximity to her home.

She says it's ok. Equipment is all very good, staff is friendly, helpful.

But she said that if weights/strength training are a priority, it's not the greatest. They mainly have machines,
not any free weights or plate-loaded machines.

I don't anyone else who belongs to Blink so I'm going on one person's comments. You might want to check their
reviews on Yelp - people tend to be more detailed there.

I belong to Life Health & Fitness on 35 Ave. & 37th Street. It's open 24-hours Monday to Friday and at 7 a.m. on
weekends. They have good trainers and the rates are reasonable - in fact I think it's within your price range.

It doesn't hurt to check out a couple of clubs just to make sure you get the right fit.

Website is http://www.lifehealth-fitness.com/ if you want to check it out.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life