relax

Author Topic: Working on upgrading the site  (Read 12547 times)

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Re: Working on upgrading the site
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »
I've reset everyone's preferences so threads should now be in chronological order from top to bottom.

Now I have to change mine back

:::grumble grumble grumble :::::

:shocked: :shocked:
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2011, 09:06:38 AM »

Now I have to change mine back

:::grumble grumble grumble :::::

:shocked: :shocked:
::: grumble :::  :evil:

ok, I will check the box some more
Internet work never ends. The joys and tribulations of Astorians.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »
Thanks merm!  :kiss:

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
I can never win. It's the story of my life. :)

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
I can never win. It's the story of my life. :)

No worries....since everyone else was confused, and I knew how to change it without instructions from others.....I'm sure my pain was less than others.  :grin:

Why anyone would want to slog through pages to get to the latest post......not sure.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I do not like this configuration. I understand why the server might be happy with it, but I dislike it more and more as I use the board. I find that my mental record of what I've read contradicts what I see 8 times out of 10 and I find that frustrating.  I tend not to spend as much time here as a result. Functionality for me has degraded.

I don't necessarily expect you guys to change it based on the complaint of one person, but I just wanted you to know that I don't like how things are delayed 60 seconds (sometimes it seems longer, but it could also be due to my feeling impatient). Thanks for listening.

This is actually a function of the new software and the way I've configured the server. It helps reduce the load on the server. What it does is the server indexes the board indexes (the topic list pages), and the unread posts pages once every 60 seconds. The alternative is that the server has to create an index of those posts every time the page is loaded or refreshed which slows things down.

Practically it means that the unread posts listing page will be about 60 seconds behind you. When you read something it will still appear as unread for 60 seconds, but then it falls off the list. This is why after you were refreshing it finally went away, the other times you probably had left the page to start reading another post anyway, and by the time you got back it was refreshed for you.

The same will now happen on the home page as well, it runs about 60 seconds behind "real-time". Individual topics and posts however are still all real-time.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:23 PM »
I want to understand how you guys are using the site.

So you are clicking on "unread posts" first.
Then you are looking at a post that you want to read from that list, and clicking on it.
After clicking it you are generally clicking your "back" button to go back to that list, or are you clicking the link at the top of the page again?

Are you ever using your "refresh" key at all during the session?

I've updated settings temporarily until I find a way to deal with this efficiently and not cause too much disruption.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:34 PM »

Then you are looking at a post that you want to read from that list, and clicking on it.
After clicking it you are generally clicking your "back" button to go back to that list, or are you clicking the link at the top of the page again?

I've updated settings temporarily until I find a way to deal with this efficiently and not cause too much disruption.

I always hit "unread posts" first. When I find a post I like, I usually just click it...because I have it set to "newest post first"

I usually click the "unread posts" after that to bring up the list again......

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2011, 11:46:19 AM »
I click the "Unread posts" link when I first get here, then click through the posts I want to read, and use the "back" button to get back to the list.  For the record, the site appears to function exactly the same way it did before.  I'm confused at what all the fuss is about.

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »

I start with "unread posts".  I click on a post I want to read.  Then I do one of two things:  I either hit my back button, or I click the "unread posts" again at the top of the page.  If I hit my back button, I don't expect to see the list updated (I used to do this more often, but more recently I navigate using the "unread posts").  But if I click the "unread posts" link, I do expect to see the list updated and no longer show the thread I just read.  I don't usually hit refresh, although I do occasionally.  Like megc, I have found it rather disconcerting to have the list not updated in real time.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
The difference between using the 'back button' and 'clicking the link again' on the "unread posts" page actually makes a pretty big impact on the server. Which is why I was caching that page. If you think about the number of new unread indexes this makes the server compile the number goes up dramatically. If your browser goes back to a cached version this page is loaded from the browser, and the server doesn't have to query the database to determine which posts you've read or not.

To give you an idea the server goes from around 10-20% average utilization to around 60% utilization because of this page (which is a popular one). That's not a problem most of the time, but I've had a few times where if there are a lot of visitors is overloads the server and slows things down a lot for everyone. Whereas if we cache these pages the server has no problem.

Still working on a solution.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2011, 09:03:48 AM »
Thanks for making some adjustments, merm. Although it's been a week or so since you asked your question about how we use the site, I use both the "unread posts since last visit" and the back button. 

Offline Rane3

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2011, 09:50:37 AM »
2 words: Tabbed browsing :)

I click unread posts, then I middle click (or ctrl+click) on every unread post that I would like to read. No back buttons, no refresh, and I have a new page for every topic I'm interested in reading, now, later or tomorrow ;)
Have you been brainwashed today?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
I used to get ALL unread posts. I no longer do. I used to set of 15–20 tabs and then refresh to find myself with a list of ALL the yet unread posts. I now longer do. This is very unnecessarily tedious!
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
I used to get ALL unread posts. I no longer do. I used to set of 15–20 tabs and then refresh to find myself with a list of ALL the yet unread posts. I now longer do. This is very unnecessarily tedious!

To get ALL unread posts, go to the "unread posts since last visit" at the top of the screen.  At the bottom of that page, click the "All unread topics" button.  That should give you the list.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life