relax

Author Topic: Working on upgrading the site  (Read 12535 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Re: Working on upgrading the site
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:25 PM »
I'm noticing another issue with the "show unread posts" link - the regular one this time. I'm viewing my unread posts, and I click on one of them.  When I'm done reading it, I click the "show unread posts" again at the top of the page to bring me back to a refreshed list of unread posts.  However, the post I just read is still listed.  A hard refresh (with the shift key) clears it but not a regular page refresh.  It doesn't happen every time, but it's happened several times since yesterday.  This morning, it happened two out of three times.

This is actually a function of the new software and the way I've configured the server. It helps reduce the load on the server. What it does is the server indexes the board indexes (the topic list pages), and the unread posts pages once every 60 seconds. The alternative is that the server has to create an index of those posts every time the page is loaded or refreshed which slows things down.

Practically it means that the unread posts listing page will be about 60 seconds behind you. When you read something it will still appear as unread for 60 seconds, but then it falls off the list. This is why after you were refreshing it finally went away, the other times you probably had left the page to start reading another post anyway, and by the time you got back it was refreshed for you.

The same will now happen on the home page as well, it runs about 60 seconds behind "real-time". Individual topics and posts however are still all real-time.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »
There's some cool new features to the forum if you guys haven't checked them out yet.

Under your profile for example if you click on "Modify Profile" you'll see a dropdown there with lots of options.

There's an "Ignore Boards" list where you can ignore certain boards (like Random Gabble)
There's also the ability to ignore certain posters, or add people to your buddy list.
In addition there's some new "notification" options for how you might want to be notified of topics that you're interested in. It can send you a daily digest of all the topics you've posted in, or immediately notify you.

The site also now has expanded RSS options. If you prefer to read the site in an RSS reader format you can just go to whatever boards you're interested in and grab the URL and put it your RSS reader and you'll get all the posts from that board.

Also, don't forget a simplified version of the site is available on your phone by going here: http://www.astorians.com/community/index.php?wap2

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »

There's also the ability to ignore certain posters,

Might love this one
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline Speebs

• Running for Mayor
  • recidivist transit grinder
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »
Did somebody say something?

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
Did somebody say something?

Naahhhhh....go back to sleep.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2011, 01:45:57 AM »
The posts in a thread are now in reverse order - the most recent one's are on page 1 and the oldest are on the last page.  I hope this is just a mistake.  I prefer for post #1 to be on page 1 and let the pages continue as long as the thread is active.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
The posts in a thread are now in reverse order - the most recent one's are on page 1 and the oldest are on the last page.  I hope this is just a mistake.  I prefer for post #1 to be on page 1 and let the pages continue as long as the thread is active.

You might just need to reset your settings.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »

You just need to go into your profile, under "look and layout" and then change the option for the order of the posts that says "Show most recent posts at the top."

A link to your profile is here.

rg

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »

Yes, I hope it is as well.  No other forum works this way.

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 11:51:10 AM »
Yes, I agree that this new feature of the upgrade is kinda sucky.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:01:24 PM by johnny4evah! »

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »

Yes, I hope it is as well.  No other forum works this way.

Actually, every forum I belong to has this ability to "show newest post first". It isn't usually the DEFAULT setting as it seemed to be set on the new version. I adjusted and now it's back to the 'normal' mode of "oldest post first" or whatever.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2011, 01:29:55 AM »
Kinda finding it strange that so many people are wierded out and need to change a setting to get it the way they want......

Just click a button.....it's that simple.

rg

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
Kinda finding it strange that so many people are wierded out and need to change a setting to get it the way they want......

Just click a button.....it's that simple.

I find it weird that something would be defaulted to the exact opposite of what people are used to. 

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2011, 11:33:27 AM »
I just find it weird  :blank:

I miss the thumb smily P

If the newest are at the top, great! Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I check boxes. Feels like a modern decade to me.
Using the internet and reading it is hard.

I could use a map.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »
I've reset everyone's preferences so threads should now be in chronological order from top to bottom.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life