relax

astorians.com to shut down -> Read more here

Author Topic: Shutting down astorians.com  (Read 541 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Shutting down astorians.com
« on: November 16, 2021, 09:39:12 PM »
Dear Astorians,

I'm writing to announce that this website will be closing down on December 31st.

It's hard to believe this forum is over 17 years old. It all started in 2004 when a small group of us realized there wasn't really a good online forum to share information about some of the great spots in Astoria and just talk about the neighborhood we loved. At first it was just a few of us posting on here, but as the "Freeze Peach Cafe" (managed by my partner Meesh and I) opened and the community around the cafe grew, this online community also grew bigger and bigger.

For many years astorians.com was the most active community discussion site in the community, and it thrived with lots of active posts, and some awesome volunteer moderators that kept all of us relatively well behaved. Lots of people met here (some even got married!), and we talked A LOT about a lot of stuff.

But here in 2021 it feels that there are more options than ever for discussing community issues online, and that the time for a site like this has largely faded. The activity level on the site is much lower than it was at its peak, and it's a significant struggle to try and keep things going and fend off spam (which admittedly I haven't done a great job of for a long time). Rather that let it get taken over by spammers and hackers I've decided it's time to put the site to rest. All good things come to an end.

Many thanks to all who have made this site possible and giving it life all these years:
Moderators or major contributors: mcdirk, daisy, AJTNYC, Astoria Luv, 28Grand, megc, wasabisam, jayme and others

And of course; thank you.

I'd love if you took a moment to share a memory or two about how the site was useful to you through these years, or maybe a memory from your interactions with the people here.

Sincerely,
merm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:09:15 PM by merm »

Offline Sunny16NYC

• Resident
Re: Shutting down astorians.com
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 12:10:42 PM »
Sorry to see this site go! Thanks for all your hard work building this forum and keeping it going for all these years!

Years ago, I found a cat in the neighborhood, and I posted a photo of her here to see if she belonged to anyone. She didn't, but a few people offered to take her if I didn't want her.  :smiley: (I kept her.) It was great to be able to post her here instead of having to put up flyers in the neighborhood.

Offline lizluv43

• Governor
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »
This is really sad news, I met so many people here where we actually met in person and became friends.  NYCMacUser - Lorrie, you are forever in my heart and even though you're in a better place, you are still missed.  Jonathan, I met you and your dog Bentley, or Sir Bentley as I called him, he reminded me so much of my Limbo but with longer hair, and I can go on forever and name so many.  This room was ahead of it's time, it brought us together.  We were having Town Halls before they were called that, we were playing games that involved us all.  I think of this group often, of those that are no longer in Astoria but will always be Astorians by heart (you can take an Astorian out of Astoria, but you can't take Astoria out of an Astorian!).  I send you all such a huge hug, and wish you all the very best, and hopefully we can all continue to keep in touch.  I want to give a shout out to all the Admins and creators of this room, you really aced it.  Thank you
I am immature by choice, I found that being mature was quite dreary. That's why I come to Astorians.com where every hour is Happy Hour!

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
Hey Merm'!

mridude (Kevin),

Sorry to see this close, but I get that you need to get on with your life. I was last in Astoria around April. I had parked my car there and subwayed into Manhattan for a Job/Physical/Screening. I walked around a bit, Checked out some of the new stores. Noted the ones that were gone, Like FreezePeach, my local Oasis while I lived on 27th Street and Ditmars Blvd.
Many of my memories were intertwined with FreezePeach itself. The full-size poster of an early nonsurgically modified Michael Jackson on the bathroom door. Pixel, your cat, cornering a rat the size of a small beaver, Seeing people on the remote camera who appeared to LIVE there. You, teaching yourself a new, non-qwerty keyboard, looking into getting a HAM-Radio operators license, The small Christmas Tree festooned with green toy soldiers and various tanks, half-tracks and toy field artillery. Dubbed: "Operation: Merry Christmas". The Knitty-Crafty ladies meeting to knit all
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

Offline mridude

• Mayor
  • THIS is a one bedroom apartment in Astoria?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 01:41:17 PM »
kinds of things. Watching televised presidential debates. Using the internet for all kinds of things before I eventually had internet service of my own.

The Astorians site itself....what stands out most of all is when Big Brian (Hawaiian Brian...he liked Hawaiian shirsts) passed away. like 15 years ago? I attended his wake. Met his sister Judy. Then we all met at an Astorians member's apartment (her name was Judy as well) had some food and actually met several Astorians in the flesh.
The funny thing, if there was one, was that everyone there thought "mridue" was short for "mystery dude". I explained that I was an MRI Technologist and welcome chuckles were had by all.

Brian actually was a neighbor and lived up the street from me. Also across the street from St. John's Prep.

I also remember the never-ending "Bed Bugs" forum. :rolleyes: ,  The constant search by some for an affordable apartment.

The posting by Cadillacman about his friend and fellow homeless man, Chris, who died under the  Railroad archway downtown.
I remembered Chris as well. I was cleaning out my tiny closet for some dire needed room and had several L.L.Bean Flannel shirts that no longer fit me. I washed them, bagged them, then saught out Chris on the streets.
I found him and offered them to him. The were warm shirts, and it was starting to get cold.

"These are YOUR possessions?"

Yes, they are.

"Then I WILL TAKE THEM!"

Astoria had it's share of Characters.

Bookbinder and I tried to get a "Midnight Riders" group going of Astorians who wanted to get together and ride bicycles in the neighborhood.

Meesh joined us on one of the early rides. We broke into the gate securing the Saint John's Prep athletic field and rode around the runner's track.
I told Meesh that we were probably going to get caught and get into trouble.

"Come on! Don't be a coward! You live across the street. Have you ever been inside this gate?"

Nope! That was the first and last time.

I miss Astoria.

Take care all!

Kevin (mridude...signing off....)
Definition of a "Junior 1 Bedroom": A Studio Apt. cut in half!

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 06:50:10 PM »

Nice closing note and words.  I get it.  It makes sense, and yeah, nice to close things off before all the spammers and bots take over.  Indeed, I'd actually 'forgotten' all about this site.  It's been a long time since I used it.  Local conversations seemed to turn to local FB pages and Nextdoor.com, from what I've seen.

I remember using Astorians.com to learn about all the great new places to eat in Astoria, but at a certain point it became moot, since the great food options here are now endless. 

Thank you for all the great work in maintaining this site!

Godspeed to one and all!  ;-)

Offline AstoriaHistorical

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 09:07:18 PM »
This is an irreplaceable record of a decade in the community's life and should not disappear. Reach out to the Astoria Historical for
assistance to keep this photo of our community in a permanent archive after it's taken down.

info@astorialic.org

and thank you.

Offline thanos27

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 10:54:13 PM »
I remember the endless arguments we would have on real estate..and how some would say how prices will drop in Astoria...and others said they will stay high and only increase  :rolleyes:    well we are all still waiting  10 yrs later....

Offline JeffE93

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 12:28:41 PM »
I appreciate all of the work that went into site maintenance.  THANK YOU.
And I loved so many posts here throughout the years.   When I first started visiting this site, the internet was a saner place.  Arguments were like discussions.   

Maybe the most important part of this site's history to me is that it was a great place to post about missing/found pets.  We found a dog about ten years ago and I posted info and pictures here.  After three days, the owner finally called and it turned out she lived just a few houses down our block.

Offline agent99712

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 02:47:16 PM »
Sorry to see you go. I felt a sense of community here even though I never made it out of tourist status. I perused for all sorts of things when I moved into the neighborhood in 2007, dry cleaners, nail salons, etc…I posted during Hurricane Sunday needing help for those in the rockaways. I wish you all, all the best.

Offline lizluv43

• Governor
    • Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 07:32:49 AM »
This is an irreplaceable record of a decade in the community's life and should not disappear. Reach out to the Astoria Historical for
assistance to keep this photo of our community in a permanent archive after it's taken down.

info@astorialic.org

and thank you.

Agree 100%
I am immature by choice, I found that being mature was quite dreary. That's why I come to Astorians.com where every hour is Happy Hour!

Offline Clearview

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 08:05:24 AM »
I remember the battles between natives and transplants. Here we are where the transplants won! I will miss all of the neg nods too! Thank you for this blog!

Offline mzx

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 09:30:27 AM »
Thanks for running this site mate. I share the thoughts with others - it's a shame to just see everything deleted. Any way it could be preserved?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life