relax

Author Topic: Thoughts on our action in Libya?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
  • mangopaco's chicken nugget
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
Thoughts on our action in Libya?
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
On the one hand I'm glad the French and British seem to, at least publicly, take the lead.  On the other, it's another Western intervention that will cost many lives and more money than we can afford. 

Thoughts?

Offline Mckenna797

• Running for Mayor
Re: Thoughts on our action in Libya?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
Its About   Time Obama showed some backbone against a Dictator and proven terrorist sponser

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:43:57 PM »
We should stay out of it.

Offline ManicMaurice

• Campaigning for Council
    • ManicMaurice.com
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:45 PM »
Wait what? We're involved in the fighting in Libya?

Looks like I've been too busy with work recently.

Need to catch up on world events.
My website: ManicMaurice.com

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
Wait what? We're involved in the fighting in Libya?

The purpose of western intervention in this case is to stop Gaddafi from killing civilians. There is a no-fly zone to prevent him from bombing them.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
I myself have mixed feelings regarding the action itself. I get the reason why and the timing......

But I'm really tired of our political talking heads and so called leaders switching sides based on who the President is.

The only two political leaders I find consistant is Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich.

Let's face facts. Congress' Constitutional obligation to declare war is long dead. We have an Imperial Presidency and Congress be damned. And for those that have forgotten (not here...I'm talking nationally) The reason for that check on the presidential powers was the many wars monarchs led their country into without any discussion. No, it's not perfect (witness the Spanish American war which was started by yellow Journalism) but it is a way to keep our President under control. Too many times Congress has allowed themselves to be caught up in a sentiment that is based on no reality (I'm looking at you SoS Clinton) and voted authorization (is that really Constitutional) to action that caused us more harm than good.

I'm so tired of this.

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:20:42 AM »
I'm still shocked that the French took the lead, I guess everyone else said "Hey, if the French ain't afraid... :-)

The whole Mid-East is in rebellian, we can't get involved , too many countries, too many factions. Yeman, Syria, Egypt, Libia----plus all the different tribes and groups (Tribes is what they call different facctions  in Libia, so don't scream racism at me please)     

Offline mangopaco

• Activist
  • mangopaco's chicken nugget
    • Dear Chicken Nugget
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 06:09:54 AM »
I myself have mixed feelings regarding the action itself. I get the reason why and the timing......

But I'm really tired of our political talking heads and so called leaders switching sides based on who the President is.

The only two political leaders I find consistant is Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich.

Let's face facts. Congress' Constitutional obligation to declare war is long dead. We have an Imperial Presidency and Congress be damned. And for those that have forgotten (not here...I'm talking nationally) The reason for that check on the presidential powers was the many wars monarchs led their country into without any discussion. No, it's not perfect (witness the Spanish American war which was started by yellow Journalism) but it is a way to keep our President under control. Too many times Congress has allowed themselves to be caught up in a sentiment that is based on no reality (I'm looking at you SoS Clinton) and voted authorization (is that really Constitutional) to action that caused us more harm than good.

I'm so tired of this.

I couldn't agree more.  Folks laugh at Kucinich for saying Obama acted unconstitutionally, but it's true!

Unfortunately, I think we're living in a post-Constitutional nation.

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
only reason we are there is because of our interest....oil and gas.......if they did not have that - then we would not care......
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
I am glad to see much of the commentary here. In a different theater, only a few in Congress support bringing the troops home.

I am reminded again of a very moving profile, and a few lines.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/01/AR2011030106938.html

"I walked upstairs,   and broke her heart."

"One percent of Americans are touched by this war. Then there is a much smaller club of families who have given all."

He spoke of the anger that some combat veterans feel toward the war's opponents. "They hold in disdain those who claim to support them but not the cause that takes their innocence, their limbs and even their lives," he said.

Later, he clarified in an interview that he is opposed to indifference, not dissent.
"I just think if you are against the war, you should somehow try to change it," he said. "Fight to bring us home."

Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life