relax

Author Topic: Astoria's Egyptian community in the Times  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
Astoria's Egyptian community in the Times
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »
As tens of thousands of Egyptians took to the streets of Cairo on Sunday for the sixth day of open revolt, here in Astoria, the heart of New York City’s Egyptian community, people reacted with hope tinged with visceral anger for an Egyptian president who they said had suppressed freedom for too long and an American president whom they accused of abetting him.
(full article)

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
Re: Astoria's Egyptian community in the Times
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:07:27 AM »
They've done interviews of locals on NY1 also.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:21:19 PM »

There  are very few  democratic or even non-autocratic leaders in that part of the world. The article and views are disturbing in the sense that there is anger at Mubarak, but, silence and I have encounted  even support of all too many in the growing community of Sharia law. The problem with these  revolutions is  they may end up like the Iranian revolution with even worse, violent tyrants  that  threaten the world. The radical  Muslim extremeists  who want to dress  women and   hang gay people   are far worse  than Mubarak. Although, I am always  in favor of maximum freedom of religion and assembly from Tehran to Havana, in  that part of the world and sadly even some in our midst in NYC want freedom to take power  for a radical religious  govt.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:31:22 PM by FZ »

Offline neo11

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »
Iran had a stable democracy which we made sure to overthrow because the free flow of oil was being threatened.  Therefore, it comes as no surprise that the corrupt dictatorship we installed in its place was overthrown and replaced by corrupt dictatorship of a different nature.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life