relax

Author Topic: major motion picture about the events of September 11  (Read 1287 times)

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
major motion picture about the events of September 11
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:10:01 PM »

Movie Review: United 93

Apr 30, 2006

** In regards to the film United 93, it seems to me that there is not enough to encourage others to see it. If you believe you need a rememberance of the tragic feelings of that day, by all means do go. I did not find that the film added any catharsis or resolution. It did remind me though that bringing justice to terrorists should be swift and by full use of available resources. How might you react when you would be in a position of kill or be killed?

I do not confuse movies with history or reality. I found it interesting to note how the sound effects might be used for manipulation. The customary use of music seemed odd to me.

The audience for the film was a little surprising. Perhaps many watching were not that familiar with the reporting on the events of that date.
Some understandably did not sit through the whole film. Many were naturally in tears. At times it is unbearably tense and graphic; the more so because it reflects actual events.
Othertimes the confused and ineffective response on the ground is painful to see.

I was considering adding political commentary but it might be best to leave it here on the subjects of cinema and history.

http://www.flight93memorialproject.org/

By Matthew Dailey

On Friday, April 28th, the first major motion picture about the events of September 11, 2001 was released.

The film, titled "United 93", gives an unwavering, practically minute-by-minute account of United Airlines Flight 93 that crashed into Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Flight 93 was the only one out of four planes that were hijacked on September 11, 2001 that did not reach its intended target.

The film has a documentary-like feel, because of the lack of well-known actors and the unconventional camera work. It does not overly dramatize and methodically follows that day's horrific events. By doing this, the film builds tension, even though the audience knows eventually what will happen. "United 93" is emotionally draining and at times a difficult film to watch. It is not a typical Hollywood movie.

"United 93" shows the mundane details that took place before the flight takeoff, including going through security, chatting on a cellphone in the terminal and the flight attendants greeting passengers as they board the plane. 

The movie involves the passengers and hijackers on Flight 93, several air traffic control centers along the eastern seaboard, the FAA's operation control center, and the Northeast Defense Sector Headquarters. By cutting back and forth to the different locations, the film shows how the events unfolded in real time.

The movie revisits the feeling of shock and disbelief felt by those in the air traffic control centers as they slowly learn that the United States is being attacked. More importantly, it shows the frustration by the Northeast Defense Sector Headquarters, when they realize they could not scramble fighter jets quickly enough to intercept the hijacked flights in time.

Some will argue the release of United 93 is too soon. The events of 9/11 are still a recent memory, but it can be argued that enough time has passed to allow a movie to be released about the series of events. America has a short-term memory and this film serves as a reminder of the enormous tragedy that occurred. 

The film treats its subject matter with a solemn respect, showing the human side of the tragedy. "United 93" illustrates how a group of ordinary people in an act of heroism, charged the cockpit and prevented the plane from striking its likely target, the U.S. Capitol building.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: major motion picture about the events of September 11
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:22:10 PM »
I found it interesting to note how the sound effects might be used for manipulation. The customary use of music seemed odd to me.

TRX, can you elaborate a little on this, please?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life