relax

Author Topic: Indian Threading Salon?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline pixiegirl729

• Tourist
    • PixieGirl Designs
Indian Threading Salon?
« on: April 30, 2006, 10:04:35 AM »
Can anyone recommend a salon that does indian threading? I've been meaning to get my eyebrows done and I wanted to give that a shot since I hear its so much better than waxing. Let me know!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
Re: Indian Threading Salon?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »
I always get mine done at
Priti Women
just off the Broadway stop here in Astoria.

Priti Women
30-08 Broadway, Astoria, Queens
718 726 9003
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

ribena

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 04:47:22 PM »
Try Rani Anuj on 30th Avenue and 37th Street.  Pretty good - only $4 for eyebrow threading.

Offline pixiegirl729

• Tourist
    • PixieGirl Designs
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 05:14:58 PM »
ribena... i was actually walking around 30th and i found Rani Anuj. i got my eyebrows done there and they're great! it was cool to get home and find that someone recomended it! ;-)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 05:23:14 PM »
What does it feel like to get one's eyebrows threaded?  And why is it better than waxing?

nycatexas

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 12:51:10 AM »
What does it feel like to get one's eyebrows threaded?  And why is it better than waxing?

I was afraid to get threaded because it sounds like it involves needles, but it doesn't. I still can't quite figure it out, but I think they use two pieces of thread tightly wound or something. If feels like it is only cutting it, but it takes all the hair out. Much less painful than waxing which also peels off some of your skin and is pretty traumatic to the eye area - especially for those who don't already have wrinkles. For those of us who do, I think it just makes the wrinkles and lines worse! I think they are able to control the shape better with threading and be very precise.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 09:35:59 PM »
threading is actually plucking the hairs with string.

try this.
get some thread 10 inches long, tie the two ends together.  hold out your thumb and fore fingerand twist the loop around 10 times. so now you have your thumb and fore finger on each side with 10 twists in the middle...now open and close either hand... you got a zipper going on in the middle.

now bring that zipper to some hair... (sorry to gross you out people) do this to my belly button area... the hairs get stuck in the zipper and pluck them out. that's my ghetto way of threading. i only do this on areas i can reach. i cannot do it on my face. but that's the basic idea of threading.

in most salons the women instead of tying the ends together, put one end in their teeth. one loop with their thumb and forefinger, and the other end with their other hand. helps to aim and be more accurate. 

does that make sense...?

Offline pragmata

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:38:59 AM »
It is incredibly painful but other ladies I've seen there appear to bear it with no problems. Maybe I am more sensitive. That said, there are some nice ladies on 23rd Av (on the block southeast of 31st St) in a little shop next to a barbershop. If I go again, I will use toner immediately after because the cream on the new skin helped some little oil blemishes to grow where the hairs were just pulled. Maybe it is just my skin type. Maybe it was because this was a hot month. But it sort of defeated the purpose of a beauty treatment.  :|

Offline ThePinkSuperhero

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:55:41 AM »
I got the sides of my face threaded once and got a horrible rash afterwards.  Definitely have that toner and hydrocortisone ready at home!  I will never get threaded again.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 06:59:18 AM »
TONER WILL IRRITATE YOUR SKIN MORE! gentle with the skin. non fragranced moisturizer.

the salon i go to massages the areas with moisturizer for a couple minutes aftewards.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life