relax

Author Topic: DADT  (Read 9350 times)

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
Re: DADT
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 12:56:36 AM »
Activist

"""I wonder, do the people like JoeyC who oppose it so vociferously -- civilians for whom the repeal of DADT would have no impact on whatsoever -- realize that there are gays and lesbians EVERYWHERE? """

Like I don't know??  Our military has an impact on my life and every Americans wife.  As for dotors, Lawyers, and everyone else you mentioned or didn't, they got where they are, are gay, and by professions mentioed, are doing fine. Why would I have problem with gay lawyer, doctor, cab driver, pizza maker, or dentist??   I don't.       Military is diferent environment.   

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 01:53:12 AM »
     Military is diferent environment.   

And how do you know this? What is your personal experiance that makes you state this?
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline odenhal

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
there was a point when African Americans  ( i am politicly correct with that......right...i hope ) could not serve
there was a point when females could not serve

and all the same arguments against them serving are darn close to the same arguments we are useing against gays now

its like come on
you can not deny this gorgeosness, you can only hope to handle it

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »
ODENHAL speaks the truth.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »
Odenhal is wise.

Down with bigotry!

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:31 PM »
Gay people will serve openly in the military.  It is only a matter of time.  It will happen as we move forward as a nation.  It is inevitable.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »
I spent 4 years in active in the NAVY and 8 years in the Reserve. I think there could be problems with either gender if say they put openingly 'hetero' folks mixed in together. It's not that every man and woman is attracted to each other in close quarters, but, it would cause problems on a whole host of levels. This is why genders are kept separate in the Military.

The subject at hand would present some of the same problems and that is why it's being debated. Sure, there are always people who hate others based on sex, gender and race, but, when one states that they are hetero-sexual, usually goes without saying, or Homo-sexual, it will create a problem if they are in close quarters.

I knew gay folks in the Military and one lady, who happened to be lesbian, we became friends and we even joked around that liking women is  something we have in common. :-) I wouldn't want her or any brave, honorable American to lose their career in the Military solely on the basis of  being found out as gay or lesbian.

My solution, like President Obama's tax compromise, won't make anyone happy, but, may be the only one at this time. Drop DADT, and base it all on behavior for everyone. I would also start an intergration, the final bias, of the genders. There is no reason male and females are separarted and true equality should have no bias.

I would be surprised, even if the rule is dropped ,that anyone would come out to many folks, since most folks are not gay or lesbian. But, it would be the height of hypocricy and probably illegal, if the DADT law was dropped and they military or any govt. run agency still separated based on gender. The latter would be hetero-phobia and I'm sure all those in favor of dropping DADT, me included, would be just as in favor of dropping gender bias across the board.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »

I knew gay folks in the Military and one lady, who happened to be lesbian, we became friends and we even joked around that liking women is  something we have in common. :-) I wouldn't want her or any brave, honorable American to lose their career in the Military solely on the basis of  being found out as gay or lesbian.

My solution, like President Obama's tax compromise, won't make anyone happy, but, may be the only one at this time. Drop DADT, and base it all on behavior for everyone. I would also start an intergration, the final bias, of the genders. There is no reason male and females are separarted and true equality should have no bias.

Actually, for me, you hit it dead on. Conduct is what it is all about. I, as a gay soldier, cannot grab some guys cluck.....

I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2010, 12:45:43 PM »
Cloture Invoked 63-33. Final PAssage at 3pm.

All that is left is for the military to write the regs!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
I'm really happy with the DADT repeal, but very disappointed that they did not secure cloture on the DREAM act.  Such mixed feelings today.

Offline KateMSW

• Tourist
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »
I'm really happy with the DADT repeal, but very disappointed that they did not secure cloture on the DREAM act.  Such mixed feelings today.

This!  I am ecstatic about DADT being repealed but sorry about the DREAM Act. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life