relax

Author Topic: General Election Thread  (Read 9421 times)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
General Election Thread
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:21:05 AM »
What are people thinking about the November elections?

What races are getting you interested?  The Gubernatorial race?  (Cuomo, Palladino, Lazio, Barron, Redlich, Davis, Hawkins, Cohn - that could be a wild debate depending on who they invite).

US Senate - the seat held by Chuck Schumer (6 year term) (Schumer, Townsend)

US Senate - the seat held by Kirsten Gillibrand (last 2 years of Hillary Clinton's 6 year term) (Gillibrand, DioGuardi)

Attorney General (Schneiderman, Donovan)

Comptroller (DiNapoli, Wilson)

Commercials are already starting up - I hope some of them come through Astoria to campaign.

Offline BRIAN

• Activist
Re: General Election Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »
im really interested in govenors race  because the Rupublicans sunk to new low letting this crazy ba  ard  in the race i can not wait for the debate so i could see him lose his cool.palladino is a racist nut job like all the tea baggers.cuomo will kick is butt  lol

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:30:34 PM »
I like Palladino, and calling him racist is sleazy move.    Plus he is unintentionaly funny, so Saturday Night Live can have some good sketches again.     

He has good plans, and his beliefs I disagree strongly with, like abortion (No, even if rape) won't pass anyway.     His prison reform is good idea, but needs some adjustments.   

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:12:39 AM »
I like Palladino, and calling him racist is sleazy move.    Plus he is unintentionaly funny, so Saturday Night Live can have some good sketches again.     

He has good plans, and his beliefs I disagree strongly with, like abortion (No, even if rape) won't pass anyway.     His prison reform is good idea, but needs some adjustments.   

Name his good plans
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »
Name his good plans

I mentioned prison reform, and also using prisons and othe rland govt is trying to sell off as places to train people for jobs, and to especialy help people on wellfare get job training. Volentary program, not a concentration camp as you called it. 

His board of ed. revamp.

His stand on illegal immigration.

He has some ideas I am agianst, I mentioned one.     Now what is so great about Coumo?? 

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
     Now what is so great about Coumo?? 

I'm not sure. I'm not approaching this as a Cuomo supporter.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:42:16 PM »
Oh yeah, Paladino is in favor of drilling in an area that gives NYC it's water. Let's pollute our water even further.  Makes sense to me.  :-o

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »
Oh yeah, Paladino is in favor of drilling in an area that gives NYC it's water. Let's pollute our water even further.  Makes sense to me.  :-o

Drilling for what?  I am not aware of it.  Can the drilling be done without polluting water?
If he is planning to drill and pollute our drinking water, that is news to me.  It may be news to him too.   Where did you hear  that?       

Offline Cannibal

• Mayor
  • This bear won't let the snow stop him!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
Drilling for what?      

Natural Gas, Joey.  Google "fracking" and you'll see it calls for breaking thru layers of rock using water pressure.  Too bad these locations are at the same aquifer we obtain our water from.  Water becomse toxic, and in some instances down right flamable.

I am not aware of it. Can the drilling be drilling be done without polluting water?

I'm not surprized.  And no, probably not. 
If I can't walk there,
It doesn't exist.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 01:22:54 AM »
"Probably not" Cannibal?    Either it can or can't.    Thanks for the insult, you want to trade them I will.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »

http://www.smartvoter.org/2010/11/02/ny/state/ballot.html

Not with the expected election order, but it shows the ballot candidates.
I know pretty well the libertarian choices. Still I think this election will not be easy for me to make my final choices.
Many of the libertarian candiates are very good. Just want to see what are the other options and possible consequences.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »

Charles Barron, Freedom
Jimmy McMillan, Rent is 2 Damn High
Andrew M. Cuomo, Democratic, Independence, Working Families

Carl P. Paladino, Republican, Taxpayers, Conservative?
Howie Hawkins, Green
Warren Redlich, Libertarian
Kristin M. Davis, Anti-Prohibition

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
I will be shocked if the US Senate changes party control.
Locally, I expect Nov will bring us the expected faces. Maybe there could be a few surprises at the statewide level.

Natl one imaginary prediction is that the House could go from a 257 Dem majority to a 207 Dem minority.  :-o !!  That would be incredible.
Be careful what you wish for. Trying to see what would be meaningful changes.
I expect any 'energy policy' would be drastic swing. I think immigration reform would be a tough debate.

The GOP pocket pledge seems rather familiar and they need to answer why they did not enact it 10 years ago.
Will believe Change when actions can be verified. I think even Dems could enact nearly 50% of the pledge if they wanted.

Any Democrats planning to vote in Nov?

Offline christineastoria1980

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
just moved here. I am trying to figure out who are local representatives are. I ran into Michael Gianares at a local street fair last week. I think he was running for senate (state) i think he said he is a rep now but going for this new place. What do people think of him? I liked him, he actually talked to me about the problems in albany.  I also forgot to write that he did some truck thing in the paper today which i liked

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 01:21:56 AM »
Depending on where you live in Astoria you'd have the following representatives:

Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (being opposed by Ryan Brumberg)
NYS Senator George Onorato (Assemblymember Michael Gianaris is seeking his seat, and I think he has a Republican opponent, but Mike is the favorite in the race)
NYS Assemblymember Michael Gianaris (Democratic candidate is Aravella Simotas, not sure if the Republicans have a candidate) - Northern Astoria, mainly North of 30th Avenue
NYS Assemblymember Marge Markey (South of Broadway and parts between 30th Avenue and Broadway in the mid 30s Streets).
NYS Assemblymember Cathy Nolan (East of Crescent predominately, along the river up to Astoria Houses)
NYC Councilmember Peter Vallone, Jr. (most of Astoria)
NYC Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer (South of 34th Avenue)

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 08:23:37 AM »
Welcome CA.
McD can clue you in on many things and you might want to check out the Dem clubs.

The Assembly race is an open seat this election, considered filled.
Most officials here are Dem and win by wide margins. As to whether folks actually like them ...
I imagine Gianaris is well respected for a number of reasons.

One question for NYS is will there be any change of leader in the state senate?  I hope yes.
[If I were to vote Dem this year, Gianaris would likely be the one vote.]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:29:34 AM by TRX »

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 10:19:04 PM »
Thanks TRX.  I love trying to stay involved and I would love to get active. Astorias representatives are getting younger which is exciting. Gianaris (i spelled it right!) and this simotas woman and I think Vallone is young too. Should i stop by their offices, or is that frowned upon? I would love to offer to volunteer.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 01:20:35 AM »
They would almost certainly be up for volunteer help - just swing by the offices and talk with folks, they're all very approachable and helpful.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Dio - Senate Re: General Election Thread
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »

What do you all make of DioGuardi?
I wish he were running against Schumer.
For me
DioGuardi>Gillibrand>Schumer>Townsend

http://www.youtube.com/user/DioGuardiForUSSenate

http://www.dioguardiforussenate.com/issues.php

Holy Diver

But I dont imagine too many women voting against Gilli.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The League of Women Voters, television news organizations and underfunded opponents are trying to get Democratic front-runners
Andrew Cuomo and Charles Schumer to debate before the Nov. 2 elections.

So far, Cuomo hasn't accepted a governor's race debate and Schumer hasn't agreed to a debate in the contest for his U.S. Senate seat.

What aspects of democracy do Democrats believe in?

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »
One of my friends dragged me to the local democratic club meeting tonight. I forgot the name but have seen it here before. It was great.  Gianaris, Vallone and Simotas all spoke.  They are all great!  I am going to start helping Gianaris out in his campaign, I got to talk to him briefly. So happy that i went!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »
Wish I'd known you were there!  How'd you like the meeting?  (I was the guy running it - come say hi next time!  :-) )  Thanks for coming too!  (Powhatan and Pocahontas Regular Democratic Club of Queens)

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
Oct 18 Re: General Election Thread
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
What aspects of democracy do Democrats believe in?

I appreciate that Cuomo has stepped up for this. Interesting that he is currently favored by a small majority of indies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/nyregion/08debate.html

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Mr. Cuomo, the Democratic nominee for governor, and Mr. Paladino, his Republican opponent, each announced on Thursday that he had accepted an invitation to a debate on Oct. 18 at Hofstra University.

The debate will also include five other candidates for governor who are on the ballot next month, including Kristin Davis, the former madam running on the line of the Anti-Prohibition Party, and Charles Barron, the Brooklyn city councilman running on the Freedom Party line.

The others are Howie Hawkins, on the Green Party line; Warren Redlich, the Libertarian Party candidate; and Jimmy McMillan, the candidate of the Rent Is Too Damn High Party.

The debate will be co-hosted by News 12 Networks and Newsday. It will be shown only on cable.

I think some of the candidates may impress more than expected. Including Redlich. And Howie Hawkins has gotten some praise from journalists.

http://www.smartvoter.org/2010/11/02/ny/qn/

LWV NY has some information for voters about the election and the candidates.
Many candidates provided answers. A bit disappointed by a few campaigns that did not meet their request.

Offline williambenoit

• Tourist
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »
Wish I'd known you were there!  How'd you like the meeting?  (I was the guy running it - come say hi next time!  :-) )  Thanks for coming too!  (Powhatan and Pocahontas Regular Democratic Club of Queens)

I live near a building called the Taminent? I saw a bunch of activity during the summer and see people going in and out of there. I think Simotas, Maloney and Gianaris were around there because they had signs on the door. Is this like your group? I like Maloney and Gianaris and Simotas seems like she is the candidate that is up and coming.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 01:05:13 AM »
Taminent is very similar to Powhatan - they're both regular Democratic clubs (meaning affiliated with the Queens Democratic County Organization and have District Leaders affiliated with the club).  All three campaigns were based out of Taminent this year (our water was broken for a few months, so we didn't host anyone lamentably).  They're great folks.

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
Anyone go to any of the Election Forums in Dutch Kills, I saw a flyer about it. Curious about if anything interesting was said.

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »
Just curious, but for the 2008 elections someone posted a candidate finder site that had links to all the candidates and a fairly basic rundown of their stance on most / all of the main electorate talking points.  I was wondering if such a think existed for this go-round. I don't want to just blindly vote for Kristen Davis, because she would try to make it easier for me to walk to the bodega for 1/8 of sticky icky, but I'd also like to know where she stands on broader statewide issues. If anyone has such a resource, I would wholeheartedly appreciate it.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 09:57:21 PM »
I just took another look at the smart voter site, and gave it the 5 minutes of attention it needed to actually see who is on my ballot (and another 5 to realize that I wish Kristen Davis' platform was being presented in a respectable fashion). All I can do is take a line from the Who "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
sample ballot Re: General Election Thread
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 04:34:22 PM »

http://brennan.3cdn.net/5877b91615a450bdb8_dvm6b5y1b.pdf

http://albanysinsanity.wnymedia.net/blogs/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sample-2010-New-York-state-ballot.jpg

http://reformny.blogspot.com/2010/10/nyc-sample-ballot-2010-early-look.html

I think the ballot will not be an issue for most voters. However, some of the lines may show candidates from more than one party. Be careful to only vote for one candidate for each race as appropriate.

If you find an error message when scan voting, feel free to ask for help.

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »
I saw that Gianaris won by a huge margin! I was actually helping hand out pamphlets for his campaign yesterday

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »

All politics is local

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/house/how-did-things-go-so-wrong-for.html

"You cannot judge a realignment by one election,"

"
* Upstate New York voters swung back to the GOP: Democrats saw their recent gains in districts long-held by Republicans vanish last Tuesday.
* Catholic voters: Veteran New York Democratic strategist Hank Sheinkopf noted that western New York is one of the most heavily Catholic parts of the country, and that Catholics are a key swing constituency. "It was religion and region that made the difference, not party ID," said Sheinkopf.
"New York is still very much a blue state, with 2.5 million more registered Democrats than Republicans,"

I am curious how Cuomo and the other statewide candidates did outside of NYC.
Our confinements remain confined.

Offline FZ

• Running for Senate
  • Real Peace Comes After The Battle Is Won
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »
I was concerned that once again NY is more of a one party state. I will say that Palladino made some statements that sunk him and we end up with Cuomo jr. I just hope he is better than his dad who was a disaster for the state.

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 11:57:31 PM »
I was concerned that once again NY is more of a one party state. I will say that Palladino made some statements that sunk him and we end up with Cuomo jr. I just hope he is better than his dad who was a disaster for the state.
[/quote

Between you and me.....not that hopeful.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »
It is a one party state (maybe not depending on NY Senate), but who is in charge?
Cough [Silver?]

Missing a chair at the galactic round table.
The good, the bad, and the almost:

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP09de69a480754f57803ccb9ffff5921b.html

Green, Conservative parties ready newfound clout

Congrats, I am so envious.  2011 could be relatively quiet. Thanks all. Happier New Year!
?

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
It is a one party state (maybe not depending on NY Senate), but who is in charge?
Cough [Silver?]

Our State Senate is GOP....by one vote.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
DOH

so weasels can filibuster redistricting reform now ...

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »

Maybe this was already mentioned.

Perhaps more for if there were complaints. Feeback requested on the voting process from last Nov.

http://vote.nyc.ny.us/voter_feedback.html

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 07:24:50 AM »

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 02:54:45 PM »
Notice of a few recent votes from congress.org

FY2012 House Budget Resolution - Vote Rejected (40-57, 3 Not Voting)

Sen. Charles Schumer voted Not Voting......
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand voted NO......

President’s FY2012 Budget Resolution - Vote Rejected (0-97, 3 Not Voting)

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand voted NO......

Patriot Act Extensions - Vote Agreed to (72-23, 5 Not Voting)

The Senate passed this bill extending certain provisions of the Patriot Act until June 1, 2015

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand voted YES......

Recent House Votes   National Defense Authorization Act, FY2012 - Vote Passed (322-96, 13 Not Voting)

The House passed this bill authorizing $690.1 billion in defense spending for the upcoming fiscal year. The Senate is expected to take up its version of the bill this summer.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney voted NO......

Patriot Act Extensions - Vote Passed (250-153, 28 Not Voting)

The House gave final approval to this bill extending certain provisions of the Patriot Act until June 1, 2015.
Rep. Carolyn Maloney voted NO......

Upcoming Votes   Raising the debt limit - H.R.1954

The House is scheduled to vote on this bill to increase the debt limit.

Ending military operations in Libya - H.CON.RES.51

This House resolution would direct the president to remove U.S. forces from Libya.

FY2012 Homeland Security Appropriations - H.R.2017

The House is set to take up this bill funding the Department of Homeland Security for the upcoming fiscal year.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
House on Libya Re: General Election Thread
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_powers_under_the_United_States_Constitution

It may be theater, but seems to me historical.
The House has declared unwar or no ground troops in Libya. To be seen if this makes any difference.
A stronger resolution failed but with meaningful minority support from both parties.

Perhaps out of respect for the Commander in Chief and the military concerns in Libya, Rep. Maloney appears pro-war in this case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/04/world/africa/04policy.html

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life