relax

Author Topic: General Election Thread  (Read 9287 times)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
General Election Thread
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:21:05 AM »
What are people thinking about the November elections?

What races are getting you interested?  The Gubernatorial race?  (Cuomo, Palladino, Lazio, Barron, Redlich, Davis, Hawkins, Cohn - that could be a wild debate depending on who they invite).

US Senate - the seat held by Chuck Schumer (6 year term) (Schumer, Townsend)

US Senate - the seat held by Kirsten Gillibrand (last 2 years of Hillary Clinton's 6 year term) (Gillibrand, DioGuardi)

Attorney General (Schneiderman, Donovan)

Comptroller (DiNapoli, Wilson)

Commercials are already starting up - I hope some of them come through Astoria to campaign.

Offline BRIAN

• Activist
Re: General Election Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »
im really interested in govenors race  because the Rupublicans sunk to new low letting this crazy ba  ard  in the race i can not wait for the debate so i could see him lose his cool.palladino is a racist nut job like all the tea baggers.cuomo will kick is butt  lol

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:30:34 PM »
I like Palladino, and calling him racist is sleazy move.    Plus he is unintentionaly funny, so Saturday Night Live can have some good sketches again.     

He has good plans, and his beliefs I disagree strongly with, like abortion (No, even if rape) won't pass anyway.     His prison reform is good idea, but needs some adjustments.   

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
  • Me in a bowler hat and nowhere to go.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:12:39 AM »
I like Palladino, and calling him racist is sleazy move.    Plus he is unintentionaly funny, so Saturday Night Live can have some good sketches again.     

He has good plans, and his beliefs I disagree strongly with, like abortion (No, even if rape) won't pass anyway.     His prison reform is good idea, but needs some adjustments.   

Name his good plans
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Lord Goring "An Ideal Husband"

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:38:17 PM »
Name his good plans

I mentioned prison reform, and also using prisons and othe rland govt is trying to sell off as places to train people for jobs, and to especialy help people on wellfare get job training. Volentary program, not a concentration camp as you called it. 

His board of ed. revamp.

His stand on illegal immigration.

He has some ideas I am agianst, I mentioned one.     Now what is so great about Coumo?? 

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
     Now what is so great about Coumo?? 

I'm not sure. I'm not approaching this as a Cuomo supporter.
I love talking about nothing father, it is the only thing I know anything about -

Offline kempsternyc

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:42:16 PM »
Oh yeah, Paladino is in favor of drilling in an area that gives NYC it's water. Let's pollute our water even further.  Makes sense to me.  :-o

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »
Oh yeah, Paladino is in favor of drilling in an area that gives NYC it's water. Let's pollute our water even further.  Makes sense to me.  :-o

Drilling for what?  I am not aware of it.  Can the drilling be done without polluting water?
If he is planning to drill and pollute our drinking water, that is news to me.  It may be news to him too.   Where did you hear  that?       

Offline Cannibal

• Mayor
  • This bear won't let the snow stop him!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
Drilling for what?      

Natural Gas, Joey.  Google "fracking" and you'll see it calls for breaking thru layers of rock using water pressure.  Too bad these locations are at the same aquifer we obtain our water from.  Water becomse toxic, and in some instances down right flamable.

I am not aware of it. Can the drilling be drilling be done without polluting water?

I'm not surprized.  And no, probably not. 
If I can't walk there,
It doesn't exist.

Offline JoeyC

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 01:22:54 AM »
"Probably not" Cannibal?    Either it can or can't.    Thanks for the insult, you want to trade them I will.

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
    • http://www.lp.org
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »

http://www.smartvoter.org/2010/11/02/ny/state/ballot.html

Not with the expected election order, but it shows the ballot candidates.
I know pretty well the libertarian choices. Still I think this election will not be easy for me to make my final choices.
Many of the libertarian candiates are very good. Just want to see what are the other options and possible consequences.
Life, Liberty, Happiness (pursuit of) and pasta

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »

Charles Barron, Freedom
Jimmy McMillan, Rent is 2 Damn High
Andrew M. Cuomo, Democratic, Independence, Working Families

Carl P. Paladino, Republican, Taxpayers, Conservative?
Howie Hawkins, Green
Warren Redlich, Libertarian
Kristin M. Davis, Anti-Prohibition

Offline TRX

• Governor
  • It only makes me laugh
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
I will be shocked if the US Senate changes party control.
Locally, I expect Nov will bring us the expected faces. Maybe there could be a few surprises at the statewide level.

Natl one imaginary prediction is that the House could go from a 257 Dem majority to a 207 Dem minority.  :-o !!  That would be incredible.
Be careful what you wish for. Trying to see what would be meaningful changes.
I expect any 'energy policy' would be drastic swing. I think immigration reform would be a tough debate.

The GOP pocket pledge seems rather familiar and they need to answer why they did not enact it 10 years ago.
Will believe Change when actions can be verified. I think even Dems could enact nearly 50% of the pledge if they wanted.

Any Democrats planning to vote in Nov?

Offline christineastoria1980

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
just moved here. I am trying to figure out who are local representatives are. I ran into Michael Gianares at a local street fair last week. I think he was running for senate (state) i think he said he is a rep now but going for this new place. What do people think of him? I liked him, he actually talked to me about the problems in albany.  I also forgot to write that he did some truck thing in the paper today which i liked

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 01:21:56 AM »
Depending on where you live in Astoria you'd have the following representatives:

Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (being opposed by Ryan Brumberg)
NYS Senator George Onorato (Assemblymember Michael Gianaris is seeking his seat, and I think he has a Republican opponent, but Mike is the favorite in the race)
NYS Assemblymember Michael Gianaris (Democratic candidate is Aravella Simotas, not sure if the Republicans have a candidate) - Northern Astoria, mainly North of 30th Avenue
NYS Assemblymember Marge Markey (South of Broadway and parts between 30th Avenue and Broadway in the mid 30s Streets).
NYS Assemblymember Cathy Nolan (East of Crescent predominately, along the river up to Astoria Houses)
NYC Councilmember Peter Vallone, Jr. (most of Astoria)
NYC Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer (South of 34th Avenue)

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life